Mike Nugent

Johnnybones

I never really looked into the early careers of some of the better place kickers in the league. Do kickers usually take a few years before they really start shining? Nugent didn't have a great year, but I'm not too worried about him. I think he could be something special. All he needs is to hit a big one at the end of a game for him to develop that confidence.

What are the expectations for Mike Nugent this season?

What you're getting with Mike Nugent is you're getting a guy who is very clutch in key / pressure situations. Yes, he did just come up short on a 53 yarder against the Saints, but he even admits that he kicked the ball the wrong way and misjudged the Meadowlands weather / wind effects. The mistake will not be made again.

If you listen to Tx and think that KO's are the most important thing then you know he prefers Sebastian Janikowski, John Hall and Jay Feely to guys like Mike Vanderjagt and Jason Elam.

If you listen to Tx and think that KO's are the most important thing then you know he prefers Sebastian Janikowski, John Hall and Jay Feely to guys like Mike Vanderjagt and Jason Elam.

You are missing my point.

When you draft a friggn' kicker in the 2nd round he better produce results immediately, or it was a wasted pick.

If a UDFA kicker went 1/64 in touchbacks and couldn't connect on a 50+ yard FG, he'd probably not be on the roster the next year.

If a 2nd kicker does that, it is a complete embarrassment to the entire organization.

But let's give him the Jets motto, "His potential is great and he will be an All-Pro" sometime within the next 10 years.

Same Old Jets.

TX, if you were to experience a loss like the one we did to the steelers two years ago, you'd understand.

Bones,

I still disagree.

Sure it was a tough loss, but 98% of football games are won/lost by the offense and defense.

Jets offense put up whopping 3 points on the board in 5 quaters of football against the Steelers.

Blaming that loss on Brien is ridiculous.

If the Jets offense could have produced one TD, they would have played the Pats in the AFC Championship game.

Brien is a very easy scapegoat.

When you draft a friggn' kicker in the 2nd round he better produce results immediately, or it was a wasted pick.

If a UDFA kicker went 1/64 in touchbacks and couldn't connect on a 50+ yard FG, he'd probably not be on the roster the next year.

If a 2nd kicker does that, it is a complete embarrassment to the entire organization.

But let's give him the Jets motto, "His potential is great and he will be an All-Pro" sometime within the next 10 years.

Same Old Jets.

Well let's see what your 4th round kicker who wasn't even projected to be drafted does... or wait, is Martin Gramatica going to beat him out?

the dude doesn't know what he's talking about on this subject

besides the fact he's had the most clutch best kicker on the Pats for the last decade or so - winning ring after ring - his team signed Grammatica and used a 4th rounder on Bratwortowski from Memphis

so don't talk to us about kickers... until you remember what it's like to not have a good one.

What you're getting with Mike Nugent is you're getting a guy who is very clutch in key / pressure situations. Yes, he did just come up short on a 53 yarder against the Saints, but he even admits that he kicked the ball the wrong way and misjudged the Meadowlands weather / wind effects. The mistake will not be made again.

dont forget that the fg should have been no more than a 51 yarder if not for that draw play. Possibly even shorter than that.

Bones,

I still disagree.

Sure it was a tough loss, but 98% of football games are won/lost by the offense and defense.

Jets offense put up whopping 3 points on the board in 5 quaters of football against the Steelers.

If the Jets offense could have produced one TD, they would have played the Pats in the AFC Championship game.

That's a fair point.

But damn it that was painful.

Vinateiri was PUTRID his rookie year. It's a miracle he didn't get cut.

Rookie kickers have to make several adjustments. The kicking ball in the NFL is harder than the NCAA ball is. In college, they kick off from the 35, not the 30.

Some facts:

Nugent wasn't a touch back machine at OSU. Westhoff knew that. What he DID like was the hang time Nugent had on his KO's. Through 8 games last year, the Jets were in the top five in field position after KO's. Nugent was consistantly getting the ball to the 5 and 6 yard line, with long hang times. That allowed the KO coverage team to get downfield, and resulted in very good field position.

Half way through the season, Nugent lost both hang time and distance. The field position got bad. Cold weather can't explain that, either.... Ohio gets cold, he's used to it. It's possible he was kicking too much, and got tired leg.... much like the tired arm you hear about pitchers getting.

If one looks at his FG attempts, he was very good, compared to rookie kickers. I did a very lengthy analysis of Nugent at TGG last year. All of it was lost in that big crash they had, and I'm not about to do it all over again. Regardless of draft position, all rookies will struggle some.

I remain convinced he will be a very good PK for the Jets for a very long time.

Vinateiri was PUTRID his rookie year. It's a miracle he didn't get cut.

Rookie kickers have to make several adjustments. The kicking ball in the NFL is harder than the NCAA ball is. In college, they kick off from the 35, not the 30.

Some facts:

Nugent wasn't a touch back machine at OSU. Westhoff knew that. What he DID like was the hang time Nugent had on his KO's. Through 8 games last year, the Jets were in the top five in field position after KO's. Nugent was consistantly getting the ball to the 5 and 6 yard line, with long hang times. That allowed the KO coverage team to get downfield, and resulted in very good field position.

Half way through the season, Nugent lost both hang time and distance. The field position got bad. Cold weather can't explain that, either.... Ohio gets cold, he's used to it. It's possible he was kicking too much, and got tired leg.... much like the tired arm you hear about pitchers getting.

If one looks at his FG attempts, he was very good, compared to rookie kickers. I did a very lengthy analysis of Nugent at TGG last year. All of it was lost in that big crash they had, and I'm not about to do it all over again. Regardless of draft position, all rookies will struggle some.

I remain convinced he will be a very good PK for the Jets for a very long time.

Interesting. Nice work.

Bones,

I still disagree.

You have no idea what it is like to have a kicker miss 3 fg's to win a game. All these years you have had viniteri to save you. Now you may get to experience the frustration of having a kicker that doesn't always hit the clutch field goat.

You have no idea what it is like to have a kicker miss 3 fg's to win a game. All these years you have had viniteri to save you. Now you may get to experience the frustration of having a kicker that doesn't always hit the clutch field goat.

Also a valid point.

While the offense was pretty ineffective that game, Brien absolutely blew it. You have to do what you can to get victories on the road in the playoffs and the Jets clawed enough to get a victory. It just didn't turn out that way unfortunately. BECAUSE OF OUR KICKER.

What percentage of 2nd round picks end up starting their whole rookie year?

Exactly. People who criticize the Nuge pick should STFU - jmo.

As a rookie, he was just as good as Vinatieri was last year.

We are set at his position for 10+ years. And if you still hate it, name me a better player that we should have taken at 47 instead of Nugent.....

Same Old Jets.

This from the bozo who swore the PATS would never use a draft choice, let alone a mid rounder on a kicker. Watch how that's now suddenly not so bad.

Nugent was the same from 50 plus as AV.

Lame Old TX.

This from the bozo who swore the PATS would never use a draft choice, let alone a mid rounder on a kicker. Watch how that's now suddenly not so bad.

Nugent was the same from 50 plus as AV.

Lame Old TX.

Selective memory there Shelter.

As soon as the Pats used a 4th round pick on a friggn' kicker, I was all over them for that stupidity. Go back and check my posts on draft day.

And the Pats made the right move with AV. If you can't hit a few 50 yarders, not to mention only a 50% FG percentage in the playoffs, it's time to move on.

Selective memory there Shelter.

As soon as the Pats used a 4th round pick on a friggn' kicker, I was all over them for that stupidity. Go back and check my posts on draft day.

And the Pats made the right move with AV. If you can't hit a few 50 yarders, not to mention only a 50% FG percentage in the playoffs, it's time to move on.

So now your smarter than BB and Paoli?

Memory says you also stated you would also quit posting if a draft choice was used on a kicker.

All in fun TX but if we are ok with Nugent, why the obsession on your part?

To each his own Shelter.

If you are happy that your team used a 2nd round draft pick on a kicker (who was mediocre at best last year), then so be it.;)

I am TX.

In fact I am so happy about it I have 5,000 or so post's dedicated to the topic on Patriots message boards no less.

Like you said, to each his own.

I'm pretty happy with Nuge and i still like the pick,when you consider it was his first year kicking with a new ball he did pretty well.He was 15 out of 16 inside the 40(and his miss was when he slipped at KC).Of course Tx will go on about him not hitting from 50 yards out,well guess what he only had two attempts and both were good efforts.His longest was a 49 yarder so he can obviously hit the 50 yarder.

I never really looked into the early careers of some of the better place kickers in the league. Do kickers usually take a few years before they really start shining? Nugent didn't have a great year, but I'm not too worried about him. I think he could be something special. All he needs is to hit a big one at the end of a game for him to develop that confidence.

What are the expectations for Mike Nugent this season?

Kick the ball between the uprights more times than not. Within the span of 14 months we spent a 2nd round pick on kicker, a traded a 1st round pick for Doug Jolley and used 2, not one, 2 first round picks on offensive linemen. What the ****.

And I am supposed to be happy about this ****.

Kick the ball between the uprights more times than not. Within the span of 14 months we spent a 2nd round pick on kicker, a traded a 1st round pick for Doug Jolley and used 2, not one, 2 first round picks on offensive linemen. What the ****.

YOU aren't supposed to be happy.... EVER. You prefer misery and dread. You were born to be miserable. Accept it. Deal with it. I just wish you did that somewhere else. Noone likes a whiner.

If you knew much about the game, you would know that the battle is won in the trenches. Our offensive line last year was absolutely horrible. So bad that it destroyed 4 quarterbacks and a few running backs. How could you not be happy about drafting 1st quality protection?

Archived