Harrington Still Doesn't Get It

NIGHT STALKER

ALLEN PARK - It's clear from Joey Harrington's comments in the Detroit Free Press that he doesn't understand what being a quarterback in the National Football League is all about. He didn't get it in Detroit and he isn't likely to get it in Miami either.

In a wide-ranging interview with columnist Mitch Albom, Harrington commented on everything from his relationships with coaches Marty Mornhinweg and Steve Mariucci to how he was perceived by the fans and the media.

Harrington blamed everyone but himself for the team's failures. He singled out Coach Mariucci, corner Dre' Bly and receiver Charles Rogers, but never once turned and looked in the mirror at his own performance.

Harrington said Mariucci let discipline slip and the team became mediocre. He said Rogers needed to "buy into the idea of sacrificing things that [he] personally may find important" and the Bly betrayed him by speaking about his poor performance to the media instead of him directly.

But Harrington seemingly absolved himself of any and all criticism simply because in his mind, he never did anything wrong. He showed up everyday, worked as hard or harder than anyone else and did everything the coaches asked of him. He even faulted Mariucci for not allowing him to take shots downfield instead of playing it so close to the vest.

Joey needs a reality check. Being a quarterback in the NFL is about making plays. Can you name three plays that Harrington made during his entire four-year tender as the Lions starting quarterback?

That frozen rope over the middle at Lambeau Field to knock off Brett Favre and the Packers? The scramble up the middle to keep a drive alive to upset the Vikings? How about the improvised throw on the run across the field to Roy Williams to beat the Bears?

Brett Favre may have done that, Daunte Culpepper could have done that, Rex Grossman MIGHT have done that, but Joey Harrington? No way.

Harrington said the worst mistake was trying to please everyone. Wrong! His worst mistake was not making any plays. If Mariucci, Mornhinweg or Marinelli could point to even one instance where Joey made a play like those we described, he might still be a Lion.

Instead, he's Nick Saban's stopgap until Daunte Culpepper gets healthy.

He'll get his shot to be the starter when the Dolphins start organized team activity pointing towards training camp and the preseason opener. He and his new fiancee' can buy a nice condo right off Ocean Drive and watch the sunset over Biscayne Bay with the millions he collected here in Detroit. There's no doubting he'll jump right in and do everything Saban and his staff ask. He'll work harder than anyone on the roster.

But if he doesn't make anymore plays than he did in Detroit, Harrington will find his stay on South Beach will be even shorter than his tenure in Motown.

The woods are filled with people like this...met them my entire life. It's always going to be someone's elses fault. One of these days, they wake up and wonder where everyone went.

That's really sad but oh so true.

Well everyone can put their own spin on the interview with Albom. Being Jet fans you sure hope he plays the same in Miami that he did in Detroit, but we have more talent better coaching and a better FO. Harrington wasn't brought in to be our future, just to help until Daunte recovers. I know Jet fans want the worst to happen to the fins, but it's really sad so many division rival fans ignore certain facts because they don't want to deal with it. Look at our QB situation this year compared to just last year. We got Pep,Harrington and Lemon for less the we gave up for the previous list of backups we had on this team last year.

Saban is brining in a bunch of players to see who fits and who doesn't. I would rather take crap from you Jet fans over the players on our roster then to sit idle and do nothing. The fins are head and shoulders better then we were at the begining of last season. The Fins are ascending in the AFC east and the Jets will have a long season ahead, I think you need to stress over the QB depth on your roster not the Fins roster.

Well everyone can put their own spin on the interview with Albom. Being Jet fans you sure hope he plays the same in Miami that he did in Detroit, but we have more talent better coaching and a better FO. Harrington wasn't brought in to be our future, just to help until Daunte recovers. I know Jet fans want the worst to happen to the fins, but it's really sad so many division rival fans ignore certain facts because they don't want to deal with it. Look at our QB situation this year compared to just last year. We got Pep,Harrington and Lemon for less the we gave up for the previous list of backups we had on this team last year.

Saban is brining in a bunch of players to see who fits and who doesn't. I would rather take crap from you Jet fans over the players on our roster then to sit idle and do nothing. The fins are head and shoulders better then we were at the begining of last season. The Fins are ascending in the AFC east and the Jets will have a long season ahead, I think you need to stress over the QB depth on your roster not the Fins roster.

First of all Jet fans different write the article, secondly, it's a known fact that this guy is bust city...it's been written by many a writer.

Face it, you guys took a big hit (just like Williams took a big hit before getting tested), when Ricky got suspended. You can play it down all you want, but you have nothing in camp to change up the running game for Brown like Williams did.

Saban is so freaken desperate, he even signed "one step away from prison" Vick...notice no other team took a flyer on him.

First of all Jet fans different write the article, secondly, it's a known fact that this guy is bust city...it's been written by many a writer.

Face it, you guys took a big hit (just like Williams took a big hit before getting tested), when Ricky got suspended. You can play it down all you want, but you have nothing in camp to change up the running game for Brown like Williams did.

Saban is so freaken desperate, he even signed "one step away from prison" Vick...notice no other team took a flyer on him.

Keep dreamin, because you are lost in la la land. Saban pulled the offer for Joey for two reasons. The Lions are just plain stupid and two Daunte will be ready for camp. Saban likes having depth at all the positions. Having two QB's with a bunch of starting experience is just smart coaching. Saban was willing to wait till Joey was released but Detroit came to their senses finally and the deal got done. In the long run Joey will have far more time to get the playbook down and develop the timing with the WR's needed to be effective in his new system.

I love how you "know for a fact" Joey is a bust because a bunch of reporters have written it. What kinda logic is that, dig a hole stick your head in the hole, logic?? You'll say anything to convince yourself Harrington is a bust because you don't want Miami to be a good team. If you said that Miami had made big improvments this off season it would just be too depressing for you so you lie to yourself in hopes Harrington is a bust. You also know Miami is far more talented then Detroit and far better coached and the FO is light years better then Detroits. Joey won't be playing in the same poorly coached terrible system in Miami he was in, in Detroit. But you keep that hope alive because thats all you've got.

Your nickname for Culpepper is Pep? Further evidence that all Dolfags are gay.

Am I the only guy that is not a believer in "Pep"?

Now with a detroyed knee? Forget it. He'll have his moments, but he isn't leading that team to the playoffs, IMO.

I think Dolphin fans are in the same boat(no pun intended, Dante) many Jets fans (myself included)were in last year. They think the team is much better than they really are.

:box:

Keep dreamin, because you are lost in la la land. Saban pulled the offer for Joey for two reasons. The Lions are just plain stupid and two Daunte will be ready for camp. Saban likes having depth at all the positions. Having two QB's with a bunch of starting experience is just smart coaching. Saban was willing to wait till Joey was released but Detroit came to their senses finally and the deal got done. In the long run Joey will have far more time to get the playbook down and develop the timing with the WR's needed to be effective in his new system.

I love how you "know for a fact" Joey is a bust because a bunch of reporters have written it. What kinda logic is that, dig a hole stick your head in the hole, logic?? You'll say anything to convince yourself Harrington is a bust because you don't want Miami to be a good team. If you said that Miami had made big improvments this off season it would just be too depressing for you so you lie to yourself in hopes Harrington is a bust. You also know Miami is far more talented then Detroit and far better coached and the FO is light years better then Detroits. Joey won't be playing in the same poorly coached terrible system in Miami he was in, in Detroit. But you keep that hope alive because thats all you've got.

I have always had respect for Nick Saban as a head coach. Your QB situation is not too different from The Jets situation. Culpepper fell off last year as a player before getting hurt and is coming off serious injuries. Even if he gets healthy, How long does it take to shake off the rust and get back to full speed as a player and can he be effective, What type of player will he be?

Your brand new backup Joey Harrington is a former first round QB that didn't have the faith of his former team and coaching staff and never lived up to his draft billing.

Let me see, Banged up and question mark starting QB and former first round bust brought in as insurance. Sounds like Pennington and Ramsey.

As far as Joey in a new system goes, Mularkey's system in Buffalo didn't exactly help Losman and if they are keeping The Linehan system. Is that really a great thing? New offensive coordinator using some one else's plays.

The Dolphins should be a contender in 06. There's no denying that but your team has flaws and question marks outside of your unsettled QB situation.

The Fish do not have a great offensive line. Their front 7 has older players and their secondary is extremely suspect.

Joey Harrington = Mediocre

I don't know why of all the qb's available the Phins are going after this scrub. If I was the Phins I would rather pick up Kerry Collins or Jay Fiedler to start the first 5 or 6 weeks befor Culps comes back. Joey Harrington blows.

Joey needs a reality check. Being a quarterback in the NFL is about making plays. Can you name three plays that Harrington made during his entire four-year tender as the Lions starting quarterback?

Yea, i think all 3 of the big plays he made was the last weak of the season against my Steelers. :eek:

If the kid ever puts everything together, he has a shot to be good IMO. I seriously doubt that he will though. But the flashes are there.

If the kid ever puts everything together, he has a shot to be good IMO.

Please, that's what my girlfriend keeps telling me. For thirty second a night I perform like Ron Jeremy but until I stretch that 30 seconds into 30 minutes, I'm not pleasing anyone. Let's face it: Joey Harrington sucks and I'm bad in bed.

Please, that's what my girlfriend keeps telling me. For thirty second a night I perform like Ron Jeremy but until I stretch that 30 seconds into 30 minutes, I'm not pleasing anyone. Let's face it: Joey Harrington sucks and I'm bad in bed.

:eek:

wow. I don't know what to do first, laugh or point

I have always had respect for Nick Saban as a head coach. Your QB situation is not too different from The Jets situation. Culpepper fell off last year as a player before getting hurt and is coming off serious injuries. Even if he gets healthy, How long does it take to shake off the rust and get back to full speed as a player and can he be effective, What type of player will he be?

Culpepper fell off last year because he had no Randy Moss, he lost his center he had been with his whole pro career and he was in a brand new system. Plus if you watched the Vikes in 2004 they were 8-8 because they had no D! They didn't get much better on D in 2005. He was starting to return to form when he sustained the knee injury. Those are the facts not opinion!!!

Your brand new backup Joey Harrington is a former first round QB that didn't have the faith of his former team and coaching staff and never lived up to his draft billing.

I guess all the Detroit Lions problems were Joey. I guess they had the best coaching staff and all the talent in the league and Joey alone held them back.

Just stop it, the whole team sucked. Miami isn't Detroit and while Joey may never set the league on fire, he will have a far better chance in Miami then Detroit. Joey is not being brought to Miami to be the man he's being brought in to add depth and experience to the QB position. Stop overstating his importance to the Dolphins.

Let me see, Banged up and question mark starting QB and former first round bust brought in as insurance. Sounds like Pennington and Ramsey.

God you're ridiculous, Daunte will be fine his injury was to his knee, not his shoulder!! Big big difference if you're a QB. Daunte is ahead of shcedule and he's not a lightweight panzy like Pennington. Joey has more talent in Miami then Ramsey has in NY....advantage?? Harrington! Again, you are exaggerating things because it's what you want to believe not whats fact.

As far as Joey in a new system goes, Mularkey's system in Buffalo didn't exactly help Losman and if they are keeping The Linehan system. Is that really a great thing? New offensive coordinator using some one else's plays.

We are running Linehans system and Sabans system. We have better WR's a better line and a more then solid running game and better TE's then Buffalo...and who the hell is JP frikin Lossman?? What a waste of a DP,he has been in the system long enough to know the playbook forward and backwards his problem isn't knowing the plays, it execution! He just isn't an NFL QB. If we had gotten JP instead of Joey I'd be crying my eyes out, but Saban is to good a coach to add a turd like JP, THANK GOD.

BTW, guess what system Culpepper was in when he went to three Probowls and a near miss as league MVP?? Thats right Linehans system, hmmm I don't think Culpepper wil have a problem shaking off the rust!! Yeah, thats a "great thing"!! Saban believes it's eaiser for one coach to change then it is for the entire O to change for one coach, I think Saban knows more then you.

The Dolphins should be a contender in 06. There's no denying that but your team has flaws and question marks outside of your unsettled QB situation.

IMO, we have a shot at the division and I see us a wildcard team at worst, a playoff win or two this year is where I see our season culminating, but look out in 07!!

The Fish do not have a great offensive line. Their front 7 has older players and their secondary is extremely suspect.

Our Oline should improve over last year, I would say they were a big reason we won the final 6 games you are underestimating the way they played and Houck is going into his second season with this bunch they should be better, IMO TOP 10 TO 15. Our front 7 is FAR better then you give them credit for. I don't know why everyone keeps calling them old, JT, Zach, Carter, Holliday ,Traylor are older players some a year away from retirement, but we also have (DT): R.Wright, M.Wright, M.Roth, D. Bowens, K.Vickerson, (LB): D.Spragan, S. Hodge, D.Pope none of which are more then 6 years in the league and some are rookies and we have several others that will be great depth that are either rookies or very young. So as you can see we have older players but Saban is adding players at a hefty clip to inject youth into the system, remember most of the players on the team have been replaced except the stars for the most part in just Saban second season.

I don't know what to make of this story because it's written by Mitch Albom, who has the habit of making things up. Like NBA players being at an arena watching an All Star game when they were provably in another city, or imaginary conversations with Morry, and numeorus other instances, great and small, that were proven to skirt the truth. And he's writing for a Detroit audience, who would no doubt believe that Joey Harrington is a turd.

Well, that's one way to look at the article Mitch Album wrote. Or, you can actually read the damned thing and see that Joey did take some blame. He said he played poorly, a point that was clearly omitted in this article, probably written by Tom Kowalski.

Joey took an unfair amount of the blame for all the Lions woes over the past four years. It takes a team effort to be that bad. Joey has had bad games, yes... but, he's also had good games too. Steve Marriucci allowed Joey to become the scapegoat. He's thrown him under the bus so many times. Worse than Herm with coordinators.

So, it's not Harrington who doesn't get it. He knows he has to play better.

I don't know what to make of this story because it's written by Mitch Albom, who has the habit of making things up. Like NBA players being at an arena watching an All Star game when they were provably in another city, or imaginary conversations with Morry, and numeorus other instances, great and small, that were proven to skirt the truth. And he's writing for a Detroit audience, who would no doubt believe that Joey Harrington is a turd.

Actually, the article Fl posted wasn't by Mitch. And the Joey interview is legit. How do I know? The cat was on Mitch's radio show every week, the entire time he was in Detroit. Those two are tight. And, it was a softball interview.

But, that being said, he really didn't single out Rogers or Bly. He didn't say anything about either one of them. He said no comment about Rogers, and he said Bly apologized. I don't see how that's slandering Bly. Did anyone actually read the Mitch Album interview? Anyone at all?

Archived