Ricky Williams moving closer to playing in CFL

faba

Updated: May 19, 2006, 12:26 PM ET

Dolphins, CFL's Argos close to agreement on Williams

ESPN.com news services

The Miami Dolphins will allow Ricky Williams to play for the Toronto Argonauts as long as they have it in writing that he will be released at the end of the CFL season, the Miami Herald reported Friday, citing a source close to the Argos.

Ricky WilliamsRunning Back

Miami Dolphins

The Argonauts were expected to comply with that request as early as Friday, the newspaper reported, allowing Williams and his agent, Leigh Steinberg, to neogiate a deal with the CFL team. The Herald reported Steinberg declined comment Thursday.

The Argonauts secured Williams' CFL rights when the running back was suspended for a year by the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy. The team's training camp starts Sunday, and the team opens its regular season June 16.

The Dolphins had been reluctant to let Williams play in Canada due to the risk of injury, but are apparently relenting. Williams has three children and a fourth on the way and has reportedly earned $270,000 since December 2003, the Herald reported. He owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he retired in 2004.

"We want Ricky back on our team," Dolphins coach Nick Saban told the Herald earlier this month. "Ricky doesn't need to go to Canada to prove anything to us." But Saban also said the Dolphins would "give him the opportunity to do it if it's something that he needed to do or really wanted to do."

Williams rushed for 743 yards and six touchdowns last season.

Updated: May 19, 2006, 12:26 PM ET

Dolphins, CFL's Argos close to agreement on Williams

ESPN.com news services

The Miami Dolphins will allow Ricky Williams to play for the Toronto Argonauts as long as they have it in writing that he will be released at the end of the CFL season, the Miami Herald reported Friday, citing a source close to the Argos.

Ricky WilliamsRunning Back

Miami Dolphins

The Argonauts were expected to comply with that request as early as Friday, the newspaper reported, allowing Williams and his agent, Leigh Steinberg, to neogiate a deal with the CFL team. The Herald reported Steinberg declined comment Thursday.

The Argonauts secured Williams' CFL rights when the running back was suspended for a year by the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy. The team's training camp starts Sunday, and the team opens its regular season June 16.

The Dolphins had been reluctant to let Williams play in Canada due to the risk of injury, but are apparently relenting. Williams has three children and a fourth on the way and has reportedly earned $270,000 since December 2003, the Herald reported. He owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he retired in 2004.

"We want Ricky back on our team," Dolphins coach Nick Saban told the Herald earlier this month. "Ricky doesn't need to go to Canada to prove anything to us." But Saban also said the Dolphins would "give him the opportunity to do it if it's something that he needed to do or really wanted to do."

Williams rushed for 743 yards and six touchdowns last season.

I am a big football guy and I follow all the leagues. It's amazing how many NFL guys right now are playing in The CFL. Each team in The CFL has a few of them. Right now, In The CFL, You've got guys like Quincy Carter and Onterrio Smith. Now perhaps Ricky Williams.

Saban loves Ricky Williams and his treatment of Ricky is getting alot of players on that Dolphins team on Nick's side. The way, Saban has handled this situation is rather impressive in my opinion.

I can't see why he would do it. Supposedly he can expect only a few hundred thousand in salary at most. Doesn't seem like enough to risk injury and spend half the year in Canada. Just having to figure out the income tax forms at year end would kill me.

isn't ganja legal up there?

Not legal.

But there are some cafe-like places here in the city where people can go, buy and smoke on the premises. They get busted often, but I understand the penalty is not severe.

Argos play here on June 30th. Wonder where Ricky will be?

Anybody want an autograph?

;)

I can't see why he would do it. Supposedly he can expect only a few hundred thousand in salary at most. Doesn't seem like enough to risk injury and spend half the year in Canada. Just having to figure out the income tax forms at year end would kill me.

That's not fair. Our income tax forms are easy.

1. How much did you make?

2. Send it.

I don't have a problem if a player smokes weed or drinks like Mantle or Namath did! As long as they perform on the field! The NFL is overboard with their Drug policy IMHO!! Steroids I can see..But Booze and Pot?? As you can see some Puritans on this Board are even against a QB getting laid!! What do you want all Choir boys trying to play football! Give me a break!!:cheers:

huge risk, all it takes is one play and boom. career over. i remeber the bo jackson tackle vs. cincy years ago, looked clean, but bo was never the same again. same thing could happen to ricky, but hey, i dunno

huge risk, all it takes is one play and boom. career over. i remeber the bo jackson tackle vs. cincy years ago, looked clean, but bo was never the same again. same thing could happen to ricky, but hey, i dunno

well what does Ricky have to lose? his body needs to stay in football shape, you cant just sit out a year of not playing football and expect to be the same

Archived