Mangini brings mean to Green

GreenBeans

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/438405p-369381c.html

Mangini brings mean to Green

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER 447-mangini_eric.JPGEric Mangini will make himself heard in Jets practice fields and classrooms.

Those reporting today for the start of Eric Mangini's first training camp will arrive at the Hofstra dorms with the usual summer survival items, everything from the latest in electronic gadgetry to fluffy pillows. The smart players will bring something else: Thick skin, a necessity in the Jets' new world.

One of Mangini's main themes is accountability and, if his style in the offseason camps carries over (and it will), it's going to mean constant scrutiny.

Team officials like to call it "changing the culture." Culture shock is more like it.

Mangini isn't a screamer, but he calls out players in front of the team and he isn't shy about fining them for breaking rules, according to a person familiar with the inner workings of the team.

If a player makes a mistake in practice, it's not unusual for Mangini to point it out the next morning in a team film session, putting the offending player on the spot. No one is immune, not even the most established players.

Criticizing a player in front of his teammates doesn't make the coach a tyrant, but it's a change for those accustomed to Herm Edwards' laid-back style. Clearly, touchy-feely is out.

"It's new to them; they're in shock right now," the person said. "He's on their butts, but they feel like it should be done."

Coming off a 4-12 season, which resulted in the demise of the Edwards-Terry Bradway regime, the Jets are in no position to complain - although grumbling is inevitable if Mangini doesn't let up.

Then again, if someone does whine, he could be shipped out. That's how Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick do it, and Mangini and GM Mike Tannenbaum learned their football from them. They have created a law-and-order atmosphere.

"We've instilled a new culture," owner Woody Johnson said recently. "We've got some very, very bright young people working here, and I'm really pleased."

Said quarterback Chad Pennington: "Accountability is very important. That has definitely been stressed to us."

Interestingly, Mangini's training-camp regimen appears less demanding than that of Edwards, who ran relatively easy camps. Mangini's schedule includes only seven days of double sessions (the first is tomorrow), five fewer than Edwards' total from last summer.

Does that make Mangini a softy? Not necessarily. Cutting back in camp is a league-wide trend, with coaches trying to minimize the wear and tear on their players.

What matters, of course, is what a team does in the sessions. It's possible that Mangini will conduct more practices in full pads than Edwards, also granting fewer rest days for individual players.

"It's going to be different, stylistically," said Tannenbaum, the assistant GM during Edwards' five-year run. "To say there's going to be more hitting, it's hard to say. It will be demanding, but camps in the past have been demanding. You'll see a carry-over from minicamp - great tempo, with a lot of situational coaching."

And when mistakes are made, the players will hear about it.

Originally published on July 27, 2006

If you don't do your job correctly, get the fock out!

If you bitch and moan, get the fock out!

It may not result in more wins immediately, but long term this has to translate into a better prepared team that is always in a position to win (assuming the talent is there)

Gotta love it!

It may not result in more wins immediately, but long term this has to translate into a better prepared team that is always in a position to win (assuming the talent is there)

Gotta love it!

I agree whole-heartedly. Nice to see some accountability after 5 years.

One thing Cimini didn't mention, but is a given-Mangini is cut from the same cloth as Bellichick and Parcells. Their practices may be a little shorter, but more tightly scripted and regimented down almost to the minute. Not to say Edwards didn't have a schedule, but he had nothing as organized as this. There was a great deal of wasted and down time with Hermie. Also, Edwards let vets who "don't feel good" bag practice reps all the time. It won't be the case anymore.No Ty Law or Peter Kendall gettting days off midweek.

Bravo! Didn't read where Eric was allowing any tables for diaper changing either. If your skin isn't thick enough to take your own heat for your own screw-up's - you're in the wrong sport. Anybody that's too good to be chastized can GTFO as well.

Gotta love it!

Does that apply to Mangini too? The Patriots under Mangini were put in a position to win... Results..26th in total defense, 31st in pass defense, 31st in defensive takeaways. Discipline? Under Mangini the Patriot defense was the 5th most penalized defensive unit in the NFL. Similar tough talk and weak results should cause fans to hold Mangini accountable for his own performance.

One thing Cimini didn't mention, but is a given-Mangini is cut from the same cloth as Bellichick and Parcells. Their practices may be a little shorter, but more tightly scripted and regimented down almost to the minute. Not to say Edwards didn't have a schedule, but he had nothing as organized as this. There was a great deal of wasted and down time with Hermie. Also, Edwards let vets who "don't feel good" bag practice reps all the time. It won't be the case anymore.No Ty Law or Peter Kendall gettting days off midweek.

Bugg...

I don't go to a ton of practices but I think the one thing Herm did well was have the practices organized. Meaning at 9:17 they were doing this, at 9:34 they were doing this.

Now like you said...vets could take any day off they wanted. And the tempo was probably not what it should have been.

I could be wrong though. It has happened before.

Bugg...

I don't go to a ton of practices but I think the one thing Herm did well was have the practices organized. Meaning at 9:17 they were doing this, at 9:34 they were doing this.

Now like you said...vets could take any day off they wanted. And the tempo was probably not what it should have been.

I could be wrong though. It has happened before.

I was at Hofstra a few times as well. Seemed like many starters(except for QBs) were milling about on the sidelines, and while there was a clock running on the scorebaord, nobody seemed in a big hurry. That's gonna change.

Does that apply to Mangini too? The Patriots under Mangini were put in a position to win... Results..26th in total defense, 31st in pass defense, 31st in defensive takeaways. Discipline? Under Mangini the Patriot defense was the 5th most penalized defensive unit in the NFL. Similar tough talk and weak results should cause fans to hold Mangini accountable for his own performance.

Again?:rolleyes: Not letting up, huh? :lol:

As has been mentioned previously, look at the before and after stats when the Pats started to get injured players back. The defense turned around and played well in the second half of last season, unlike the Jets. Take your shots at Mangini now before a snap is taken. As a Jets fan, I feel that I am going to like what I see from this coaching staff. We are way ahead already without the Jackie Chiles type nonsensical ramblings and backslapping that used to go on here.

As has been mentioned previously, look at the before and after stats when the Pats started to get injured players back. The defense turned around and played well in the second half of last season, unlike the Jets. Take your shots at Mangini now before a snap is taken. As a Jets fan, I feel that I am going to like what I see from this coaching staff. We are way ahead already without the Jackie Chiles type nonsensical ramblings and backslapping that used to go on here.

agreed DNA-I,for one am excited about this year.You know everybody is talking about the 4 QB situation we have now as if it were a bad thing.Look around the league and tell me a team that has 4 guys that on any given Sunday that can play-WITH experience.I'm not giving up so easily unlike most of the so-called "realistic" Jets fans I've read on the boards.Again,we older guys have watched this game for a long time to know one thing at least;ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN,and...turnarounds from the scrap pile to the playoffs is not out of the question anymore.

Archived