Uh Tex....

SoFlaJets

Patriots | Kicker duel will continue

Sun, 13 Aug 2006 19:38:28 -0700

The Associated Press reports neither New England Patriots PK Martin Gramatica nor rookie PK Stephen Gostkowski distanced themselves from the other in the Patriots' 26-23 loss to the Atlanta Falcons Friday night, Aug. 11. The kickers rotated in and out, with Gostkowski delivering the opening kickoff and Gramatica getting the call for a field goal with 2:40 left in the game and the Patriots trailing 23-20. "I thought they both did a pretty good job," head coach Bill Belichick said in a conference call Saturday, Aug. 11. Conditions were ideal in the Georgia Dome for both kickers and neither faltered. Belichick said he expects a winner to emerge when the Patriots play in outdoor stadiums and non-ideal conditions for the remainder of their preseason schedule. "The more competition you see, the more opportunities they have, the more clearer it becomes," Belichick said.

Patriots | Kicker duel will continue

Sun, 13 Aug 2006 19:38:28 -0700

The Associated Press reports neither New England Patriots PK Martin Gramatica nor rookie PK Stephen Gostkowski distanced themselves from the other in the Patriots' 26-23 loss to the Atlanta Falcons Friday night, Aug. 11. The kickers rotated in and out, with Gostkowski delivering the opening kickoff and Gramatica getting the call for a field goal with 2:40 left in the game and the Patriots trailing 23-20. "I thought they both did a pretty good job," head coach Bill Belichick said in a conference call Saturday, Aug. 11. Conditions were ideal in the Georgia Dome for both kickers and neither faltered. Belichick said he expects a winner to emerge when the Patriots play in outdoor stadiums and non-ideal conditions for the remainder of their preseason schedule. "The more competition you see, the more opportunities they have, the more clearer it becomes," Belichick said.

Wow. There are still 3 preseason games left. Gostkowski will win the job.

Gainzo has a good point, there is still a lot of time left.

But Gostkowski's 34-yard FG just slipped inside of the right upright.:eek:

it's gotta be a cause for concern for you guys-also Branch is saying he's staying out for a long time

I'm calling it right now. Fourth round pick be damned, Gramatica wins this competition. We'll make an attempt to stash Gostowski on the practice squad or he may even "tear an acl" but Gramatica begins his comeback this season.

I'm calling it right now. Fourth round pick be damned, Gramatica wins this competition. We'll make an attempt to stash Gostowski on the practice squad or he may even "tear an acl" but Gramatica begins his comeback this season.

Disregard Husker's comments.:character42:

He either has just downed a 12-pack of MGD or just got done with having the time of his life with a close family member.

So the Pats wasted a 4th round pick on someone who won't even be on the 53 man roster?:character42:

I didn't like the pick when it happened.

No way the Pats will cut a 4th round pick outright.

Just watch, if he loses out to Gramatica, he'll have some kind of mysterious injury that places him on the IR for the entire season.

Disregard Husker's comments.:character42:

He either has just downed a 12-pack of MGD or just got done with having the time of his life with a close family member.

Well, you were right on one of them but I won't say which. I really do believe that Gramatica is going to be our opening day kicker. Unlike some organizations, ours isn't going to keep a guy just because he cost us a draft pick if we have someone better on the roster.

Honestly, the kicker is the least of the Pats worries. More important:

Um - we have no #1 receiver and Troy Brown is our #2 right now. We all know how much I love the greatest team player of all time - Mr. Brown - but even I know that at this point in his career - he's a third down slot guy.

Um - middle linebacker. With luck, Bruschi will be back be the opener. Still, the lack of depth there is a MAJOR concern. If the first pre-season game was any indication - Monty Beisel still sucks out loud.

Um - secondary. Any Pats fan that says they are very comfortable with these midgets is plain crazy. Sure, they play BB's schemes - they are bright -but does bright make up for short and sometimes fragile?

Honestly, the kicker is the least of the Pats worries. More important:

Um - we have no #1 receiver and Troy Brown is our #2 right now. We all know how much I love the greatest team player of all time - Mr. Brown - but even I know that at this point in his career - he's a third down slot guy.

So the Patriots' FO has your permission to cut him now?

I didn't know the Patriots needed 4 TE's.;)

The Patriots utilize 2 TEs, but not enough. They could have such a dynamic offense if they used it more. It could be like the Colts, just with a non-choker at QB.

As for the abundance of TEs and lack of wideouts, all our TEs are athletic.

IMHO the Patriots should utilize them more so then wideouts. In a 2 TE offense, they could go so many ways. The opposing defense would have to play a very honest and vanilla game plan.

One of the Boston writer's noted when talking of Maroney after drafting him, Belichick said this kid will not be described as slow. He also noted how some of their other recent draft picks, Thomas, Watson and Mills are all big and fast.

IMHO the Patriots should utilize them more so then wideouts. In a 2 TE offense, they could go so many ways. The opposing defense would have to play a very honest and vanilla game plan.

That's eerily similar to what Kotite said when they drafted Johnny Mitchell to pair him up with Brady ;)

That's eerily similar to what Kotite said when they drafted Johnny Mitchell to pair him up with Brady ;)

I think you mean drafting Brady to pair up with Mitchell, but yeah I remember that also. I think it was because Boomer allegedly couldn't hit the WR's anymore. Then he had a 522-yd game for Arizona the year we released him. Can't remember if all the passes went to Arizona's TE's though.

I think you mean drafting Brady to pair up with Mitchell, but yeah I remember that also. I think it was because Boomer allegedly couldn't hit the WR's anymore. Then he had a 522-yd game for Arizona the year we released him. Can't remember if all the passes went to Arizona's TE's though.

Yeah, couldn't remember which one came first :)

Archived