The Warfish Review: Jets vs. Redskins

Warfish

Nothing on Earth is better for a Jets fan living in Virginia than a Jets win over the hated Skins.

--Jets Passing O was exceedingly conservative, Jets O overall was very very conservative. The Double Reverse being the lone exception (couple of great blocks on that, Ramsey getting in way, Mangold crushing block). A lot of sidewyas WR screen-type throws, a lot of basic off-tackle/up the gut style runs.

--Brooks Bollinger outplayed Patrick Ramsey. Sad, but true. I found it very hard to judge the two on passes alone, but as odd as it sounds, Bollingers mobillity DOES make him better behind the hot/cold Jets Youthful O-line. Ramsey held the ball far too long a number of times, and his protection was on/off. Bolly didn't hold it, he ran, and well. Overall, Bolly gets the nod from tonights performance on production, especially the 23 play drive. Ramsey still is a better passer, but did nothing with his opportunity tonight, nothing at all.

--Ahhh, the O-line. Very Hot/Cold. Some plays great, some plays they miss guys completely (Ramsey's second sack Archuletta came through completely untouched). Just like you'd expect from a young line still learning to play together. They are learning, and getting better, much better push in the running game tonight, a bit better pass protection at times too. But they are still aways off, as we should expect honestly. Mangold and Brick look like they will be very good down the road.

To be fair, the Jets O was very simple/vanilla, the Skins starting D was not, it was running Gregg Williams uisual regular season style D of blitzes and odd looks and players coming from nowhere. Even Riggins commented that Williams was NOT playing a "pre-season style" defense tonight.

--Running game looked much better than last week, given the "up the gut" nature of the conservative playcalling tonight. More productive, Blaylock looked better. 4.6 YPC is not bad at all. But....and this pains me to say....he is still not playing like a #1 RB. He chooses holes poorly at times, and goes down too easily. No real sign of Houston in the first half if I recall......but not bad in the second. 3.8 YPC isn't horrible. It is still possible that a Houston/Blaylock/Washington could be "good enough" this year.

--Jets #1 D looked very good against Skins #1's. Held very well, got some pressure at times, Bryan Thomas looked good, some good coverage. But when we get no pressure.....we got burned deep twice. To be expected I suppose. I think we looked much better this week on D, all through the depth chart...although we did let the Skins #3 QB do a little too much towards the end of the game. Their #2, the kid from Auburn, is going to be very good and has a cannon, but we did pretty good against him. A few CB breakdowns, a few times with a weak rush, but not bad at all.

--Special teams. Dwight looked shakey to me. Great great return by Washington (he's fast). I liked the "Rugger Punt" idea, and we should have had the onsides kick without question, great kick by Reach Nugget, excellent work. He's been better on kickoffs too.

--Coaching......some great (and shocking) individual cals, but the Vanilla Offense makes it harder for me, as a fan not a coach, to evaluate the play of some player, like QB's and RB's. But as I said, Ramsey looked average at best, sitting target at worst. Behind a good line I take Ramsey. Behind this line...god it makes me sick to say, but I might have to take Bolly based on tonight. All I can say is it better get ALOT less Vanilla once regualr season kicks in, or we will be one of the lowest scoring O's in the NFL, Chad as #1 or not.

Some Stats of note:

Ramsey = 6 of 9 for 33 Yards, 1 Yard Rushing, Sacked Twice

Bollinger = 10 of 16 for 69 Yards, 35 Yards Rushing, Not sacked if I recall

Clemens = 2 of 4 in mopup, for 2 Yards (and a nice throw and catch TD with Newhouse)

Blaylock 10 for 46 (4.6 YPC)

Houston 14 for 53 (3.8 YPC)

Bollinger 5 for 35 (7.0)

And Smith on the Big Double Reverse, 1 Carry for 61 Yards and a TD

Overall, a much more positive game to watch than the Tampa game. Mangini has the team learning and developing it appears, and I see some definitive progress in bot O-line and overall Defense compared to week one.

Now, let the speculation for QB rotation for Game 3 begin!

Excellent, excellent job Warfish.

However there were two things I disagreed with you on. One is actually not a disagreement but just a possibility.

1) I think the OL did a very good job. And I believe it was Baker that missed the blitz pick up on Archuletta. It appeared Baker just stood there and looked kinda lost.

2) The offense was doing a lot of shifting and those short passes I believe were used to set up longer throws that Ramsey just could not complete for one reason or another. Hard to say without looking at full game film but I gotta believe that all the shifting and misdirection was used to keep the defense off balance and not really vanilla like you are saying. The quick hits were being used to draw the CB's in closer I believe. Again, not disagreeing just stating a possibility that I can't say for sure without seeing the gamefilm.

2) The offense was doing a lot of shifting and those short passes I believe were used to set up longer throws that Ramsey just could not complete for one reason or another. Hard to say without looking at full game film but I gotta believe that all the shifting and misdirection was used to keep the defense off balance and not really vanilla like you are saying. The quick hits were being used to draw the CB's in closer I believe. Again, not disagreeing just stating a possibility that I can't say for sure without seeing the gamefilm.

Given the way games are covered on TV, I miss alot of detail on coverages and such. Your theory is definitely a possabillity.

Given the way games are covered on TV, I miss alot of detail on coverages and such. Your theory is definitely a possabillity.

Yeah I know it kinda sucks. I wish you could choose the camara you are viewing the game from. I would record it from top end view and watch it that way later. Again, just stating a possibility. Two more games left I will be interested to see how the offense looks the rest of the way. I do like all the shifing around though and the fact that the Jets do not appear to be in the same formation twice at any time during the early part of the game. A preview of what is to come? I hope so.

a couple more comments:

- this was the worst game the jets could have expected. it significantly raised expectations this year. the jets d looked legit and the offensive line was solid against a top 5 D.

- lutitutifanuti looked pretty solid @ NG. he was in against the #1's and held his own.

- brad smith is a game breaker. he looked like he was gliding out there and nobody on the field could keep up. i know it's preseason but he looks like a very explosive player.

- leon washington is the real deal as well. hopefully more warrick dunn than megget but he looked good.

- cotchery is a possesion guy and nothing more. he just doesn't have the explosion to be a star in the nfl. i'd like to see more of smith against the #1's.

- schegal is sloooow

Nice review Warfish.

About the coaching....the offense has been vanilla. They simply have not thrown downfield at all. Chad wasn't there so his arm is not the reason why. Saving it for the regular season maybe?

I love that they keep thinking though. Mangini took that time out right away after the false start to avoid the 10 second run off. Herm would have needed a sign from the Heavens to think of that.

Also LOVE the Graham punt\run option. Sure Barton (I think) got flagged on the play but keep them all guessing. Graham made a living out of running with the ball and kicking it. Anything that makes the other team hesitate or think twice will give the Jets an advantage.

The staff has a lot to prove but I like their chances.

Nice review Warfish.

About the coaching....the offense has been vanilla. They simply have not thrown downfield at all. Chad wasn't there so his arm is not the reason why. Saving it for the regular season maybe?

I love that they keep thinking though. Mangini took that time out right away after the false start to avoid the 10 second run off. Herm would have needed a sign from the Heavens to think of that.

Also LOVE the Graham punt\run option. Sure Barton (I think) got flagged on the play but keep them all guessing. Graham made a living out of running with the ball and kicking it. Anything that makes the other team hesitate or think twice will give the Jets an advantage.

The staff has a lot to prove but I like their chances.

the offense is designed for the egg. the other qbs have to dumb down their talent just to run the egg offense. the sooner we lop off the anchor/egg , the better off this team will be.

the offense is designed for the egg. the other qbs have to dumb down their talent just to run the egg offense. the sooner we lop off the anchor/egg , the better off this team will be.

Too bad we can't do the same with you

Were you watching the game on Comcast Sports Network, Fish?

John Riggins blows at calling games.

i thought riggins was pretty good. he made a preseason game a lot more interesting than most broadcasters, the guy has a great personality and a ton of stories. he is least pretentious of all the broadcasters and is the anti-theisman. sure they missed some plays, penalties, and replays but riggins doesn't always assume he is right and offers an insight into the game that few broadcasters can.

Buttle's not much better. He gets players' names wrong all the time. Screws up their first names too. And I'm not even talking about the scrubs on the team that you would expect to have problems with.

Yea, DC Coverage was CBS Local and Comcast SportNet. Both carried the same local feed, Riggins and the other guy.

Frankly, I stopped listening to them early, as they had no idea what was going on with the Jets, had no info on personel, depth, quality, etc.

I like Riggo just fine for what he is, a bit of a space cadet, but I'll be happy to see the Jets come the regular season just to get decent announcers, lol.

Any of the JMac bashers have a problem with Cotchery's fumble? He seemed to spit it up fairly easily. Hey, it happens, but something tells me that if McCareins did it I would be reading 70 threads about cutting the guy. Cotchery seems like a decent possession receiver, but I don't understand all the Bob Hayes plays to him. WR screens and punt returns don't seem like his game to me.

Any of the JMac bashers have a problem with Cotchery's fumble? He seemed to spit it up fairly easily. Hey, it happens, but something tells me that if McCareins did it I would be reading 70 threads about cutting the guy. Cotchery seems like a decent possession receiver, but I don't understand all the Bob Hayes plays to him. WR screens and punt returns don't seem like his game to me.

Very good point actually.

Cotch had the 1st down. He gets credit for not taking the easy out towards the sideline and fighting for more yardage. But much like stealing home...it is only a good play when it works.

Actually? Why Max, you seem surprised that I made a good point.

No, it's not just you. I am surprised anytime anyone makes a good point -- lol.

Seriously though I wanted to mention that last night and I forgot to. That was a big no no. I am sure he will run an extra lap for it tomorrow.

good game overall.....I was there in DC last night. One concern that I noticed was Justin Miller, he wasn't terrible, didn't get beat deep, but the skins seemed to be throwing his way and getting completions. I am kinda glad Chad didn't play based on they very conservative play calling by the Offense. If Chad was there it would have been blamed on him for not throwing down the field because he has a weak arm by all the Chad bashers. None of the 3 Qb's that played threw it down the field.

:beer:

Yea, DC Coverage was CBS Local and Comcast SportNet. Both carried the same local feed, Riggins and the other guy.

Frankly, I stopped listening to them early, as they had no idea what was going on with the Jets, had no info on personel, depth, quality, etc.

I like Riggo just fine for what he is, a bit of a space cadet, but I'll be happy to see the Jets come the regular season just to get decent announcers, lol.

If you had watched the CBS coverage with Ian Eagle and Gregg Buttle you would be scratching your head trying to figure out who exactly is Derrick Ramsey as relayed to the viewers by Gregg Buttle.

Archived