Trade of Barlow ripped

4HCrew

by the guys on Inside Jets Camp... claimed very bad character issues, work ethic and injury problem. Had a very limited offseason due to knee and had problems bad mouthing fellow players as well as coaches. Stated he had a real hard time dealing with Mike Nolan who is a very easy coach to get along with.

by the guys on Inside Jets Camp... claimed very bad character issues, work ethic and injury problem. Had a very limited offseason due to knee and had problems bad mouthing fellow players as well as coaches. Stated he had a real hard time dealing with Mike Nolan who is a very easy coach to get along with.

i'm sure that mangini and tennenbaum think they can control him or this trade would've have been made...

I don't believe this Barlow is a bad guy crap. This Adam guy also is talking like Frank Gore is some terrible back. Hello? Frank Gore is a RB from the U, they always get the benefit of the doubt and honestly he didn't do bad at all, he was pretty freakin' good last season when he played. If Barlow has character issues then Mangini will sure as **** work them out. Also, this Adam guy is going with Blaylock Week 1. I disagree. No way if Mangini straightens out Barlow that he's behind Blaylock, no way.

To me it is a very desperate move for a guy that comes with baggage...hell if we wanted a guy like this just get Lendale White no?

Obviously the CS & FO wanted veteran expierence back there...not another young guy like Houston & Washington.

Veteran experience? to play rb? does that really matter all that much at that position?

I think it's more like they didn't want to spend a 2nd round pick on a RB when they figuered the bigger need is to solidfy the OLine (which it clearly is).

The Jets actually were looking at DeAngelo Williams. If he would've been there at 29 they were going to take him over Mangold.

well we shall see shortly what will happen.... interesting to see who gets cut as a result of this

I think we will keep all 4 RBs. Also will be interesting at WR, Newhouse looks good in TC from every thing I read. Maybe TE will take the hit and 4H will get his wish. Jolly, see Ya!

Veteran experience? to play rb? does that really matter all that much at that position?

True, and I'm also not keen on trading alot for a RB. Agree on the character issues as well. Hopefully we didn't lose much on the trade. He dosen't have to be the starter after all.

No kidding. Ask Chad if it would've been better having a veteran pick up the safety blitz in that pre-season game instead of a rookie BJ Askew.

You know it was the Houston failure in picking up the blitz a couple of weeks ago that I believe helped set this trade up. He almost got Pennington killed. Houston just doesn't seem to have it in the blitz pick up area and isn't special enough as a runner to ignore the fact. And Blaylock doesn't appear to be strong enough to be an every down back. Barlow may not be "special" but he has been decent on some terrible 49er teams and definitly big enough and strong enough. I just can not see Derrick Blaylock going up against Mike Vrabel or Bruschi in a blitzing situation. I can see Barlow doing this well though.

...because opposing defenses are going to be crapping their pants with a dynamic trio of Blaylock, Houston, and Washington (and help us all if Martin sees the playnig field). Please. This is not running back by committee, this is running back by deli counter number.

Why take a chance on Barlow, even if it involves a 4th round pick? For all intensive purposes, this is a contract year for him and we have all seen the magical transformation regarding Jets players in contract years. The bottom line is money, and if he wants to see any more after this year, he will produce. Otherwise, after the year is over, here is your last check, thanks for the wonderful memories as a tackling dummy.

...because opposing defenses are going to be crapping their pants with a dynamic trio of Blaylock, Houston, and Washington (and help us all if Martin sees the playnig field). Please. This is not running back by committee, this is running back by deli counter number.

Why take a chance on Barlow, even if it involves a 4th round pick? For all intensive purposes, this is a contract year for him and we have all seen the magical transformation regarding Jets players in contract years. The bottom line is money, and if he wants to see any more after this year, he will produce. Otherwise, after the year is over, here is your last check, thanks for the wonderful memories as a tackling dummy.

Pet peeve of the Spermy: it's for all intents and purposes, not intensive purposes.

Non-pet peeve of the Spermy: good point. If he does nothing but provide a serious running threat who can block for 1 year, then I suppose mission accomplished. One missing mid-round pick isn't going to make or break the franchise. But not having a "real" RB, who can take on a LB or safety with little problem, could stunt the growth of players we did just draft (Clemens in particular).

I'll save my criticism for later, after I see if it works out or not. Criticizing now is a waste of time and effort

This is pretty much where I'm at. I don't watch Barlow game in & game out. I can look up his #'s like anyone else. His last two years haven't been impressive, but then the 49ers in general haven't been impressive on either side of the ball either. What little talent they did have was on IR all of 2005 (Peterson, Jonas Jennings, Eric Johnson). 2004 they just started a huge salary dump so they had pretty much no one.

The end result will show whether this was a smart move or a dumb one. On paper, it looks dumb. Barlow isn't in the same league, but I somehow doubt Tomlinson would've been tearing up the opposition every week on SF either ("...we traded for that top-5 pick bust who averaged 3.5 ypc over the past 2 years...")

BZ if we are not going to give opinions why have message boards? why say great or sucks...

But you were not giving an opinion, you were asking why nobody is coming down on Mangini for his decisions.

I just have not seen his decisions play out yet, so it is hard to know if they are good or not.

Kevan Barlow seems like an every down back and might help our running core. Until he is in Green and White and running behind our line, it will be hard to judge.

BZ

Fair enough.... I just find it curious that this staff gets a pass on everything and last year the staff got blasted for everything. Some of it is luck some of it is by plan... but I agree we will see what happens I just think a fourth is too much and this is a mistake...I hope to be proven wrong

Fair enough.... I just find it curious that this staff gets a pass on everything and last year the staff got blasted for everything. Some of it is luck some of it is by plan... but I agree we will see what happens I just think a fourth is too much and this is a mistake...I hope to be proven wrong

Hey, nobody thinks that the the staff of last year gets a raw deal around here than me.

That being said, the reason these new guys get a pass is they havn't actually done anything.

Week one, week two, three.. four... We can judge then.

End of the seaon. End of 5 seasons. That is when we will compare.

BZ

Archived