Leinart Looks Like The Real Deal

Phinsuck

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are there some people on this board that think that the Jets have made bad decisions in drafting before the first game was even played yet? Why are you writing off Kellen before he has even taken a start? You can't judge a player by how good he did in the preseason (although it will sometimes give indications.)On top of all this, you guys are rooting for the players the Jets draft to fail just because you think it was a bad choice drafting them! True Jets fans wouldn't do that. You won't be able to tell if they were bad decisions for probably 3 years, so don't go rooting against a Jets player for 3 whole years, just so you could come back with bragging rights! Also, all you people have been complaining about how Kellen is nowhere near as good as Leinart, Cutler, or Vince Young, but you haven't given any valid reasons why. So far, your reasons are because "Kellen is a girl's name". How does that translate to him being worse than Leinart, Cutler, Young, or even Omary and Brody.

It's not about bragging rights. If it didn't appear obvious in May that Leinart/Winston Justice or Leinart/Marcus McNeill isn't better than Clemens/Ferguson then it should by now and it will appear even more so mid-way through the year.

You want to know why Ferguson/Clemens is better? Do you know how hard it is to find a premier left tackle in the NFL? You know its practically impossible without a top ten pick. Thats when teams get them and they don't let them go for their entire 10-15 years in the league. Look at all the premier left tackles today and they were all top 10 picks. Jonathan Ogden fourth pick in 96, Orlando Pace 1st pick in 97, Walter Jones 6th pick in 97, Chris Samuels 3rd pick in 00 and Bryant Mckinnie was 7th in 2002.

You want to know why Ferguson/Clemens is better? Do you know how hard it is to find a premier left tackle in the NFL? You know its practically impossible without a top ten pick. Thats when teams get them and they don't let them go for their entire 10-15 years in the league. Look at all the premier left tackles today and they were all top 10 picks. Jonathan Ogden fourth pick in 96, Orlando Pace 1st pick in 97, Walter Jones 6th pick in 97, Chris Samuels 3rd pick in 00 and Bryant Mckinnie was 7th in 2002.

Wow, and who are the premier left tackles on the Pats, Steelers and Bucs, the last three teams to win the Super Bowl? Not saying having a premier left tackle doesn't help, but you're much better off having a premier QB and a very good Left Tackle than just having a left tackle and a scrub QB.

Now I'm sure you're going to try to come back with the good ol' "Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl so you don't really need a good QB to win a Super Bowl." Trent Dilfer was playing with the 2nd or 3rd best defense of all time - that's why they won.

Marcus McNeill is the starting LT for the Chargers and he's doing a damn good job so far. He's bigger stronger, more physical and even quicker than Ferguson and the Chargers got him in the second friggin round.

Did you even look at the other OT's in this draft or did you just sit back and say "Ferguson is the top ranked OT, we need OL, let's draft him and neglect everything else."

Marcus McNeill is the starting LT for the Chargers and he's doing a damn good job so far. He's bigger stronger, more physical and even quicker than Ferguson and the Chargers got him in the second friggin round.

Did you even look at the other OT's in this draft or did you just sit back and say "Ferguson is the top ranked OT, we need OL, let's draft him and neglect everything else."

1 game.

Just stop already, do you root for college players or the Jets?

It beats spending hours and hours analyzing players and falling in love with them only to be infuriated when the Jets choose different players that they feel would fit a system they are installing.

Dear Mr. PeterNorth4576890:

I understand your frustration with the New York Jets' draft this year. You wanted "Hollywood" Matt Leinart and a 2nd tier left tackle late in the first round. I understand that, but we have to move on. Did I want D'brick? No, no I didn't. I wanted Jay Cutler.

However, unlike you, I do understand the importance of a premiere left tackle in this league. To you, they're a dime-a-dozen. I'm sorry to say it, but you couldn't be more wrong.

It's my understanding that the Walter Jones' and the Orlando Pace's of the world aren't picked with late first/early second round picks. In fact, they're usually picked with top 5 picks. You can enjoy your Luke Petigout's of the NFL. I'll take my guaranteed pick in D'brickshaw Ferguson (Top 10 right/left tackles are the safest picks in the draft. Don't argue you with me on this one, I know I'm correct).

So, you'll watch Matt Leinart throw for 30+ touchdowns with Cardinals, and you'll say "hey, look at that guy I wanted to draft! He's putting up crazy numbers! I Knew the Jets should have drafted him!"

But you'll never consider that Matt Leinart played in a (partially) domed, sunny, Arizona stadium (where there is virtually no wind), while going up against the Rams and Seahawks once a year (also domed teams)

....Ten games a year where his average arm isn't exposed to the elements of the north east! Imagine, eight games at the windy Meadowlands, plus a game --usually in the dead of winter-- in Buffalo and New England. THAT'S TEN GAMES A YEAR, IN AWFUL THROWING CONDITIONS!

But something as obvious as that would never occur to you.

But, then again, you never would have considered elements that escape your mental capacity. You never would have considered the stiff Meadowlands' wind that would have battered Leinart's would be passes; the fact that the Jets had --arguably-- the worst offensive line in the NFL; the fact that the Jets --at the time-- were still scared away by a quarterack with a history of injuries; injuries that reminded scouts of Chad Pennington.

Look, I'm sure you know your football, but your scouting reports are horrendous. Your football team would look like a mix of the Dolphins' Cheerleaders and the Oregon Trailblazers starting lineup.

Awful.

Marcus McNeil quicker than Dbrick.

LMFAO. DPOTW nom.

Dumbass Post of the Week.

Wow, and who are the premier left tackles on the Pats, Steelers and Bucs, the last three teams to win the Super Bowl? Not saying having a premier left tackle doesn't help, but you're much better off having a premier QB and a very good Left Tackle than just having a left tackle and a scrub QB.

Now I'm sure you're going to try to come back with the good ol' "Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl so you don't really need a good QB to win a Super Bowl." Trent Dilfer was playing with the 2nd or 3rd best defense of all time - that's why they won.

The Bucs and Steelers didn't have great QB's either. I agree a great QB is always the best option. Cutler may turn into one Leinart, I don't think so. The fact is if Warner is healthy Leinart sits on the bench as he would here if Penny stays healthy.

Let me know how many great QB's there are in the NFL right now. I count 2 or 3. If a really great prospect was available you take him but it's reasonable not to take another potential NFL JAG with a first when there are great players available at other positions of need.

Hey, the team has the info and knows their schemes. We don't know **** right now. How on earth does a fan decide what player to draft? How much film, not highlight reels but actual game film, did any of us watch?

Peter North is far too modest to do this for a living. He shares his NFL talent evaluation expertise strictly on a volunteer basis.

He's a benevolent anthropologist.

The Bucs and Steelers didn't have great QB's either. I agree a great QB is always the best option. Cutler may turn into one Leinart, I don't think so. The fact is if Warner is healthy Leinart sits on the bench as he would here if Penny stays healthy.

Let me know how many great QB's there are in the NFL right now. I count 2 or 3. If a really great prospect was available you take him but it's reasonable not to take another potential NFL JAG with a first when there are great players available at other positions of need.

I'm not sure what your criteria of "great QB" is, it varies with a lot of people. Some people would consider Ben Roethlisberger, a guy who played excellent with poise his rookie year, and won a SB his second year, to be great. Others would say that any QB not named Peyton Manning or Tom Brady cannot be considered "Great".

How about this? Let's just say it's almost impossible to win a SB without a very good starting QB. The main reason why you need a very good QB to win in the playoffs is because of the increased emphasis on the passing game come January. The only exceptions I see in recent memory are the Ravens and Bucs and that was because the defenses were excellent.

The Anti-Leinart bias on this page is getting to be ludicrous. Obviously the Cards aren't going to start the guy his rookie year when there is a more experienced veteran ahead of him on the depth chart. I remember Kurt Warner starting ahead of Eli Manning his rookie year. Cutler also looks like a great QB but the Broncos are choosing to start the more experienced Plummer ahead of him.

Did the Jets need OL help this year? Ofcourse, but they also needed a QB. To pass up a guy like Matt Leinart for an OL you could have had in the later rounds is just flat out wrong.

I'm not sure what your criteria of "great QB" is, it varies with a lot of people. Some people would consider Ben Roethlisberger, a guy who played excellent with poise his rookie year, and won a SB his second year, to be great. Others would say that any QB not named Peyton Manning or Tom Brady cannot be considered "Great".

How about this? Let's just say it's almost impossible to win a SB without a very good starting QB. The main reason why you need a very good QB to win in the playoffs is because of the increased emphasis on the passing game come January. The only exceptions I see in recent memory are the Ravens and Bucs and that was because the defenses were excellent.

The Anti-Leinart bias on this page is getting to be ludicrous. Obviously the Cards aren't going to start the guy his rookie year when there is a more experienced veteran ahead of him on the depth chart. I remember Kurt Warner starting ahead of Eli Manning his rookie year. Cutler also looks like a great QB but the Broncos are choosing to start the more experienced Plummer ahead of him.

Did the Jets need OL help this year? Ofcourse, but they also needed a QB. To pass up a guy like Matt Leinart for an OL you could have had in the later rounds is just flat out wrong.

You have a rational argument. I disagree with you solely because I do not feel that Leinart is such a hot prospect. He may still be a good or even great pro qb, I just don't feel that he was such a sure thing that we should pass on Ferguson. I would pretty much never use the 4th pick on any QB without an absolute cannon for an arm. Leinart's arm is strong enough to succeed, see Chad, but it's no cannon. Where I agree with you is that because Clemens is on our team too many people now think he is better than Leinart. I don't think that's the case either and what Ron Jaworski says is nice, but I don't consider him the be all end all of qb evaluators.

My list of very good stops around 6 and again if the Jet brass didn't believe Leinart was the real deal they made the right move for them. It really comes down to evaluation. Personally I would have loved to see us drope a couple of spots and take Cutler. My bet is he will be better and more durable.

I also think with a healthy Warner the Giants would be a legit SB threat this year.

You have a rational argument. I disagree with you solely because I do not feel that Leinart is such a hot prospect. He may still be a good or even great pro qb, I just don't feel that he was such a sure thing that we should pass on Ferguson. I would pretty much never use the 4th pick on any QB without an absolute cannon for an arm. Leinart's arm is strong enough to succeed, see Chad, but it's no cannon. Where I agree with you is that because Clemens is on our team too many people now think he is better than Leinart. I don't think that's the case either and what Ron Jaworski says is nice, but I don't consider him the be all end all of qb evaluators.

I don't see how Ferguson was always such a sure thing especially after the Robert Gallery disaster in Oakland. So far, Ferguson doesn't look as bad as Robert Gallery but he doesn't look as good as the guys he was always being compared to like Walter Jones.

If Ferguson and Mangold are such hot can't miss prospects how come the Jets running game stinks?

I don't see how Ferguson was always such a sure thing especially after the Robert Gallery disaster in Oakland. So far, Ferguson doesn't look as bad as Robert Gallery but he doesn't look as good as the guys he was always being compared to like Walter Jones.

If Ferguson and Mangold are such hot can't miss prospects how come the Jets running game stinks?

Clement, Moore, Katnik and Blaylock.

You are a smart guy based on the majority of your posts. I am certain you must know that evaluating a rookie LT and C, especially when they are on the same line, is about as silly as declaring Leinert or and rookie QB a bust.

Personally I think Leinert is a perfect fit for AZ and I believe he will flourish there. I don't think he will be a good fit for NY. Partly because he does not have a very strong arm and partly because I think the guy is a bit too much of a partier to be around the NYC area.

You are comparing the guy to another "can't miss prospect" for no reason, it's like comparing Leinart to Mirer or Leaf. Ferguson doesn't look as good as Walter Jones? After two games? Somehow I don't find that shocking. Has Leinhart looked better than Montana so far? Two rookies probably contribute to the Jets rushing problems, but there are plenty of others-RT, Katnik, FB, RB. It usually takes time for a line to gel. Hopefully, this one will come together.

You are comparing the guy to another "can't miss prospect" for no reason, it's like comparing Leinart to Mirer or Leaf. Ferguson doesn't look as good as Walter Jones? After two games? Somehow I don't find that shocking. Has Leinhart looked better than Montana so far? Two rookies probably contribute to the Jets rushing problems, but there are plenty of others-RT, Katnik, FB, RB. It usually takes time for a line to gel. Hopefully, this one will come together.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson is not a run blocker. He can pass block if you need someone to stay in front of a DE but he is no big or strong enough to consistently make holes for the running back. A franchise Left Tackle can do both.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson is not a run blocker. He can pass block if you need someone to stay in front of a DE but he is no big or strong enough to consistently make holes for the running back. A franchise Left Tackle can do both.

What are you basing this on? A 22 yr old rookie not dominanting in all aspects of his game?

I'm sure Walter Jones stepped right in the NFL and was pushing Richard Seymour types all over the field. He'll get stronger, and he is already bigger than Walter Jones. Give it a rest.

Run blocking is just as much technique as pass blocking, esp with a talent like Dbrick.

What are you basing this on? A 22 yr old rookie not dominanting in all aspects of his game?

I'm sure Walter Jones stepped right in the NFL and was pushing Richard Seymour types all over the field. He'll get stronger, and he is already bigger than Walter Jones. Give it a rest.

Run blocking is just as much technique as pass blocking, esp with a talent like Dbrick.

The guy was never known for his run blocking in Virginia. The Jets running game looks absolutely atrocious right now even with this "revamped" front line with the two 1st round picks.

I bet you were one of those Jets fans who were loving the Dewayne Robertson trade in 2002.

The guy was never known for his run blocking in Virginia. The Jets running game looks absolutely atrocious right now even with this "revamped" front line with the two 1st round picks.

I bet you were one of those Jets fans who were loving the Dewayne Robertson trade in 2002.

No I wasnt, but good ASSumption.

If you're gonna compare Dbrick to Drobs college careers, then you are an idiot, plain and simple. Drob was never a great college player.

Dbrick dominated. The running game is atrocious after 2 games, call Roger Goodell, we have a crisis at the meadowlands!

They're f#cking rookies, and the rest of the Oline sucks. Not to mention Blaylock is a bum. Stop being a sh#thead.

Why are we talking about the back-up Quarterback on the Arizona Cardinals when our starting Quarterback has had 2 consecutive 300+ yard passing games?:eek:

I love Pennington and I was one of the few Jets fans that stuck up for him during this past year but let's face reality, this guy is not going to be here in 3 years. You can have five 1st Rd. picks playing on the Jets offensive line but if Patrick Ramsey or Kellen Clemens are the quarterback the offense is still going to do nothing.

Archived