theory on sabans underhand flail of the flag

GREENSMACKS

from seeing the way he threw the flag and the expression on his face, he didn't want to challenge the play and throw the flag so he purposely threw the flag away from the ref so he wouldn't see. the reason being is that he didn't want his defense to get scored on at the goal line, possibly being an ego type thing. so he thought lets not put up a goal line stand that way people might think we could have had a chance to stop them rather than failing and removing all doubt.

I have to agree, what are the odds that the Steelers babule it on the goaline again...and even if they do your stuck behind the 10 with a great blitzing D. There was no point, they were gonna get the touchdown anyway.

True. But that half-hearted attempt at a challenge was just weak.

I have to disagree.

To just concede 6 points like that? There's not a coach in the league who would do that. Do that another time, and you're out of a job.

You have to challenge that in a close game. Steelers get the ball at the 3, a bad snap or a sack, you hold them to a field goal. You never know what might happen.

Never give up points, unless you're Packers in the Super Bowl.

I think he didn't realize that it Mattered that the refs saw it. I think he also didn't want to be obnoxious running around and whatever to get their attention. He won't do it that way again, that's for sure. Weak throw.

I would've thrown it at the ref -- hit him in the back or something.

I just don't understand how the NFL could take away the buzzers this year. I mean, billions of dollars and you can't get a friggin pager to work?

BZ

BZ they weren't malfunvtioning, they were being abused. If a coach needed time to set his team up, all he had to do was hit the buzzer. The ref would stop the clock and go over to talk to the coach. All the coach would have to say is "Hey I didn't buzz you!".

BZ they weren't malfunvtioning, they were being abused. If a coach needed time to set his team up, all he had to do was hit the buzzer. The ref would stop the clock and go over to talk to the coach. All the coach would have to say is "Hey I didn't buzz you!".

So now it is just the red flag?

Well, this is going to be the controversy. Why review plays and not the flag toss?

BZ

After all the knob gobbling that gets posted about Saban being a great coach, he looked like lost, tentative and inexperienced last night. After the game he claimed that he threw the flag before the "field goal". Uhh, wake up Nick, it was an extra point. If I was a fins fan I would be pissed at this idiot. He makes Herm look like a strategical genius.

excellent analysis Boozer-----thank you for explaining it to this house...

I think he didn't realize that it Mattered that the refs saw it. I think he also didn't want to be obnoxious running around and whatever to get their attention. He won't do it that way again, that's for sure. Weak throw.

I would've thrown it at the ref -- hit him in the back or something.

Nahh, All the HC has to do is put the red flag on the clipboard of the 2nd string QB & when the HC wants to "Challenge" a play, have the back up QB throw it unto the middle of the field where the play is. I'm sure they will have to commit to at least 1 practice (I'm LOL as I write this) in Pre season to get this play down pat but..... What will they call this play...HMMMMM... "Red October", "REDRUM", "Pink Panther", etc, ????

from seeing the way he threw the flag and the expression on his face, he didn't want to challenge the play and throw the flag so he purposely threw the flag away from the ref so he wouldn't see. the reason being is that he didn't want his defense to get scored on at the goal line, possibly being an ego type thing. so he thought lets not put up a goal line stand that way people might think we could have had a chance to stop them rather than failing and removing all doubt.

i think he knew they would eventually score and kill another 30 to 90 seconds off clock,,he knew , or hoped , he would need that extra time

Why review plays and not the flag toss?

BZ

Because there is no camera angle that shows the action on the field and the sideline. So, the TV cameras would have to have their timecode synced for this purpose. Even then, it would take a lot longer to put the split-screen shot together to show the ref. than it does right now to give them a replay.

Its too complicated and time consuming -- Its the coaches job to make sure their challenge is noticed, and the coach is allowed to do more than limply throw the flag out underhanded and behind the ref. If you are going to be an NFL HC in the challenge-flag era, you damn-well better learn how to use it correctly.

It is Saban's own fault. That said, with 1st and Goal on the 1 yard line, the way the Steelers were playing last night, that was going to be a touchdown anyway.

maybe he had off-season shoulder surgery and didnt want to rush back his overhand throws.

Archived