What do you think the Yankees NEED

uart

Ok, I thought, rather than 5 different threads about different trade proposals and whatever, lets just state what you think the Yankees need to do this offseason.

Right here.

Anyway...

Needs:

1) Speed

2) Defense

3) 2-3 Starting Pitchers

4) Young setup man for Mo

Expendable:

- Matsui (is anyone on the team friends with him?/Does he speak enough english? -- Too much money from Japan for anyone to have the balls for this though. Matsui would accept a trade to a few other teams -- I think the Mariners might be one of those teams.)

- Alex Rodriguez (negative chemistry issues -- NY media has alienated him)

- Jaret Wright

- Cory Lidle

Unmovable:

-Giambi (no-trade, nobody wants his contract, he'll do just fine as DH)

-Abreu (no-trade, big contract, etc)

-Randy Johnson (he's an expensive 4th starter -- He'll retire as a Yankee, after 2007)

- Pavano (can't trade his expensive, busted ass, but maybe we can suck it up and send him packing anyway)

Your turn.

since when was Matsui a guy you didnt want on your team? dude is dedicated

"A-Rod, Mike Mussina, Randy Johnson, Gary Sheffield, Jason Giambi, and, mostly because of the language barrier, Hideki Matsui, changed the way the Yankees interacted. Newcomer Johnny Damon tried to bring a sense of esprit de corps this year, and succeeded in loosening up the place a bit, but it's a long way from the frat-house atmosphere he created with the Red Sox." - Daily News

Its not about dedication, it's about chemistry. Chemistry is what gets you psyched to play, its what makes a group of guys play like a team. Chemistry wins championships, and Matsui, despite all his talent, doesn't have chemistry. Matsui is only in NY to sell more hats and shirts in Tokyo. I'm not from Tokyo.

"A-Rod, Mike Mussina, Randy Johnson, Gary Sheffield, Jason Giambi, and, mostly because of the language barrier, Hideki Matsui, changed the way the Yankees interacted. Newcomer Johnny Damon tried to bring a sense of esprit de corps this year, and succeeded in loosening up the place a bit, but it's a long way from the frat-house atmosphere he created with the Red Sox." - Daily News

Its not about dedication, it's about chemistry. Chemistry is what gets you psyched to play, its what makes a group of guys play like a team. Chemistry wins championships, and Matsui, despite all his talent, doesn't have chemistry. Matsui is only in NY to sell more hats and shirts in Tokyo. I'm not from Tokyo.

Thats COMPLETELY REDICLIOUS. What about teams who have won the world series with SPANISH SPEAKING players who have a language barrier? What a HORRIBLE rationale to trade a player. Should the yankees trade Wang (BY FAR their best starter) because HE dosn't speak english either? Give me a break.

Hey Barton, do you still employ dooshey of the week?

Thats COMPLETELY REDICLIOUS. What about teams who have won the world series with SPANISH SPEAKING players who have a language barrier? What a HORRIBLE rationale to trade a player. Should the yankees trade Wang (BY FAR their best starter) because HE dosn't speak english either? Give me a break.

There is NO team in baseball with NO spanish speakers who also speak english. Melky is part of the team because he can talk IN SPANISH to most of the team, and Cano (his buddy) translates the english speakers for him.

And Wang speaks English -- or maybe spanish? I dunno, but I've seen shots of him talking to other players in the dugout. -- they're not speaking pig-latin...

Big Eunuch, Jason Giambi*, Jaret Wrong and Lil'Carly Pavano to retire and waive their 2007 salary en masse. Short of that, and finding somebody to give them some useful parts for Joe Torre's good buddy, Alex Rodriguez, 2007 is shaping up as a good-money-after-bad disaster.

What they need is actually what they dont need anymore.

And thats Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez, Jaret Wright and Mike Mussina staying on this team.

If by Torre staying it means Arod goes, I'll be very happy. If not, I hate bringing Torre back.

Randy is a joke, please retire.

If you get rid of Matsui, you're making a HUGE mistake. What guarantee is there that Melky will be effective again next year ? How many times have we seen a young player do well in their first year and take a huge sh.it. the next ?

If Melky doesn't work out next year, it only costs you a bus ticket to Scranton to get rid of him. We have a ton of young outfielders in the system who would love a shot at LF.

He plays hard. Maybe that changes next year, but all of the scouts seem to be high on him. You need to get him playing time if you want him to continue to develop as a player. You can't send him down to start the season, but you know he won't get much action in the OF next year with Matsui around.

I don't have a scout.com account but: "The Yankees signed Melky Cabrera out of the Dominican Republic on November 13th of 2001 for $175,000. Possessing one of the more mature approaches at the plate, Cabrera went from the NY-Penn League to the Major Leagues in less than two full seasons. Ranking #3 among the Top 50 Yankee Prospects, here's a scouting report on Melky Cabrera."

From 2005: "Melky is somewhat of a unique case in that despite being only 20-years-old and about to enter his first season above A-ball, there are little doubts about his offensive ability. In 4 minor league stops, Melky has posted BA of .335, .283, .333, and .288 (DSL, NYPL, MWL, and FSL respectively); so from a statistical point of view, it is hard to doubt his ability for average. The scouting angle upholds this view and provides little doubt that any less should be expected of this aspect of his offensive game as he is recognized as one of the better breaking ball hitters around. That is the pitch type that has provided the immovable obstacle for many a hot shot hitting prospect and it is reassuring to know that it should not be a problem for this hitter."

Benching Melky at this point in his development or sending him down will only stunt his development. He is young and has the potential to get BETTER. Sure it's unpredictable, but hell, Jeter could've went from ROY to a pile of crap too, you need to trust the players. You're mentality is what lead us to the lineup we have now. Where the farm system doesn't matter because we always just bring in old, pissed-off, selfish all-stars (not that I think Matsui is selfish).

yep, yankee fans....keep talking about next year.

Does it bother you that there is more talk about the Yankees than your team ? Oh, and just as a reminder, you still need to beat the Cardinals before you are even in the World Series. Then you have to win it. Otherwise, you will be in the same boat as the Yankees. 90+ wins in the regular season and NOTHING to show for it. So you may want to shut your man pleaser for a few more weeks.

Does it bother you that there is more talk about the Yankees than your team ? Oh, and just as a reminder, you still need to beat the Cardinals before you are even in the World Series. Then you have to win it. Otherwise, you will be in the same boat as the Yankees. 90+ wins in the regular season and NOTHING to show for it. So you may want to shut your man pleaser for a few more weeks.

calm down,,

there is another wildcard awaiting you next October ;) ,,,maybe

I don't doubt my teams ability to make it to the postseason.....unlike Muts fans. You guys make an appearance once in a blue moon.

haha,,

tide has turned, you guys just havent figured it out yet,,

its cyclical and its shifting,,

you have a great team on paper, but just no chemistry and I dont see that changing,,

not many of these guys really care if they are playing baseball or golfing in October

haha,,

tide has turned, you guys just havent figured it out yet,,

its cyclical and its shifting,,

you have a great team on paper, but just no chemistry and I dont see that changing,,

not many of these guys really care if they are playing baseball or golfing in October

the yankees have made the playoffs 11 years in a row and the mets are 1 and counting lol. thats shifting? how about putting together back to back playoff years before you start saying that....

the yankees have made the playoffs 11 years in a row and the mets are 1 and counting lol. thats shifting? how about putting together back to back playoff years before you start saying that....

again, another yankee sore loser quoting ancient scriptures,, lets hear about Mickey :yahoo:

only thing that counts as facts is TODAY, not yesteryear,,,, the tide has turned and most important,, its

100 to 98 and counting

again, another yankee sore loser quoting ancient scriptures,, lets hear about Mickey :yahoo:

only thing that counts as facts is TODAY, not yesteryear,,,, the tide has turned and most important,, its

100 to 98 and counting

you spin almost as well as tx with the patsys...

you spin almost as well as tx with the patsys...

;)

hey, what do you care, you have a damn good football team right there in Rutgers,,

I am very very impressed with Schiano,, hope he stays and doesnt bolt for U Miami,, thats the rumor as I am sure you know

;)

hey, what do you care, you have a damn good football team right there in Rutgers,,

I am very very impressed with Schiano,, hope he stays and doesnt bolt for U Miami,, thats the rumor as I am sure you know

this 7000 square foot house he's building a mile from my house makes me think he's here for the long haul... we'll see though.

this 7000 square foot house he's building a mile from my house makes me think he's here for the long haul... we'll see though.

ya i hear ya,, but he can always sewll the house,, U Miami might not always come calling ,,

but i think he i sfrom wycoff so you never know,,

is he building in wycoff?

i grew up in waldwick

is there areas in piscataway worthy of a 7000 sq ft house like in wycoff or upper saddle river?

yeah there is alot of room. though it's not as big as some of these starter castles they are building in upper saddle river heh thats where my folks live and where i grew up.

Archived