Pennington close to recouping base pay

GimmeShelter

Per Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that Chad Pennington will earn $6 million of his base salary back by finishing New York's next game.

The Jets and Pennington agreed to a deal that Pennington would make back his $6 million paycut if he played 61% of the team's snaps under the year. One more game will get him there.

Good for him...He has surpassed all expectations but here is hoping he is still standing at the end of the last game

You're kidding, right?

PennyBoy has 4 wins against teams that are a combined 6-22.

He has crapped the bed against 4 teams that resemble a real NFL football team.

His all important passer rating is now 82.1.

The guy is a joke.

Ok Pats I will feed into you...many thought he would not even start the season this year calling for Ramsey of all people. At least give the guy credit he has come back, has done well with the offense and let the team at least be competitive in games. Without him the Jets would be 1-7. At least his team gave the Colts a better game :Nuts:

Ok Pats I will feed into you...many thought he would not even start the season this year calling for Ramsey of all people. At least give the guy credit he has come back, has done well with the offense and let the team at least be competitive in games. Without him the Jets would be 1-7. At least his team gave the Colts a better game :Nuts:

I think I have always given PennyBoy credit for coming back from two devastating injuries.

But that does not change the fact that he is not a productive NFL QB.

The Jets need tp get rid of this loser and go with Clemens for the remainder of their lost season.

you play the qb that best gives you the chance to win and right now that is Chad... case closed. The Jets are not a playoff team and are all learning the system together..let Clemens learn and once the jets are mathematically eliminated give Clemens some playing time. To make a change now would be stupid because the Jets are still in the hunt and would risk losing the players support of the coaching staff.

I think I have always given PennyBoy credit for coming back from two devastating injuries.

The Jets need tp get rid of this loser and go with Clemens for the remainder of their lost season.

Each day you prove to me you're dumber than the day before.

you play the qb that best gives you the chance to win and right now that is Chad... case closed. The Jets are not a playoff team and are all learning the system together..let Clemens learn and once the jets are mathematically eliminated give Clemens some playing time. To make a change now would be stupid because the Jets are still in the hunt and would risk losing the players support of the coaching staff.

I'm joewilly & I approve this message ;)

You're kidding, right?

The guy is a joke.

Just curious, what is Brady's passer rating?

Higher than PennyBoy's.;)

Brady, 83.5

Pennington 82.3

Yippee.. huge difference.

Same # of picks for each, and Pennington's long is 26 yds longer.

Now if Brady was on the colts, he would have had a 158.3 passer rating last week.

Good for him...He has surpassed all expectations but here is hoping he is still standing at the end of the last game

If the incentives are nltbe, this money will count against next years cap. So I'm not sure why your happy...

I wish he took the cut considering he got paid last year for nothing and took advantage of our former week GM to get the 28 million signing bonus to being with..

If the incentives are nltbe, this money will count against next years cap. So I'm not sure why your happy...

I wish he took the cut considering he got paid last year for nothing and took advantage of our former week GM to get the 28 million signing bonus to being with..

They are counting against this years cap. The Jets have the cap space saved to use it this year.

The signing bonus was 18, not 28. Remember, he had leverage. If the Jets cut him, their cap hit in 2006 was enormous.

They are counting against this years cap. The Jets have the cap space saved to use it this year.

The signing bonus was 18, not 28. Remember, he had leverage. If the Jets cut him, their cap hit in 2006 was enormous.

Lol right, I typed 21 million and remembered that 3 of it was a roster bonues so I webt to correct it to be 18 and must have mashed them together..

How do you know that the money is counting against this years cap?

Lol right, I typed 21 million and remembered that 3 of it was a roster bonues so I webt to correct it to be 18 and must have mashed them together..

How do you know that the money is counting against this years cap?

Read it, and I'm actually fairly decent at this cap stuff. :)

It's a playing time incentive, for a starting QB... likely to be earned. Also, when he redid the deal they (Cimini) said that if he hit the incentives, the Jets would have to take the hit then.. so they either save the room, or cut people.

Brady, 83.5

Pennington 82.3

Yippee.. huge difference.

Same # of picks for each, and Pennington's long is 26 yds longer.

Now if Brady was on the colts, he would have had a 158.3 passer rating last week.

Brady is a great quarterback and Pennington is a good one. Can we put this garbage to rest?

Tx, there are players on the Jets that are much more worthwhile to bash than Chad Pennington. The guy came back from two shoulder surgeries to play very well this season. Without Pennington, this team would probably be 1-7 or 2-6 but instead he has it at .500.

Read it, and I'm actually fairly decent at this cap stuff. :)

It's a playing time incentive, for a starting QB... likely to be earned. Also, when he redid the deal they (Cimini) said that if he hit the incentives, the Jets would have to take the hit then.. so they either save the room, or cut people.

Check the below, it seems to me that since Chad didn't take 61% of the snaps in 05 that they would have to be nltbe incentives meaning our cap just got hit for 6.1 million next year. If we give Penny his roster bonus and salary, his combined cap figure will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 million next year...

www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

An impartial arbitrator will hear disputes between the owners and the players concerning what should be considered LTBE (especially for rookies or veterans who did not play in the prior year). Conversely, if a player did not reach the performance incentive in the previous year, the incentive is deemed "not likely to be earned" (NLTBE) and is not included in team salary.

To determine whether a clause is LTBE or NLTBE for Salary Cap purposes (i.e., not whether the player actually earned the incentive), it is necessary to look at the performance of the team in the prior season, not the current season.

Check the below, it seems to me that since Chad didn't take 61% of the snaps in 05 that they would have to be nltbe incentives meaning our cap just got hit for 6.1 million next year. If we give Penny his roster bonus and salary, his combined cap figure will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 million next year...

An impartial arbitrator will hear disputes between the owners and the players concerning what should be considered LTBE (especially for rookies or veterans who did not play in the prior year). Conversely, if a player did not reach the performance incentive in the previous year, the incentive is deemed "not likely to be earned" (NLTBE) and is not included in team salary.

To determine whether a clause is LTBE or NLTBE for Salary Cap purposes (i.e., not whether the player actually earned the incentive), it is necessary to look at the performance of the team in the prior season, not the current season.

I think that they take into account that Chad didn't play b/c of injury, not because he was 2nd-string. If he was active the whole year but sat on the bench for all but a couple of games and/or random garbage time, then I think the situation as you outlined would come into play.

Regardless - the Jets left millions in cap room for 2006 largely b/c of Pennington's incentives for this year. If he didn't reach the 61% then we'd get an extra $6M to spend in 2007. Or at least that's how I understand it to be.

Regardless, it's already determined to be likely, and count this year. Cimini cited this when the renegotiation took place, and we talked about all summer how we had to leave cap room open for his bonus

Regardless, it's already determined to be likely, and count this year. Cimini cited this when the renegotiation took place, and we talked about all summer how we had to leave cap room open for his bonus

Cimini has been known to be wrong though...I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but I'm certainly not 100% sure..

He's earned the money. It's been shown time and time again in the first 8 games that if Pennington plays well we can play / stay in the game with anybody and if Pennington has a piss poor peformance (see Cleveland game) we turn into one of the bottom line teams that the so called "experts" predicted us to be at the beginning of training camp.

You're kidding, right?

The guy is a joke.

i don't consider a $64 million contract a joke-disaster is more like it.

Lost season? Oh so quick we are to forget the last weekend's games before this week's are even played.

Jets against winning teams this year 1-3

Pats against winning teams this year 1-3

So if we are gonna popClemens in for the rest of our lost season, is that what the pats are planning on doing with VinnyT for the rest of THEIR lost season?

EDIT-------------

Ok, I now see you wrote this before we left Brady on his back in the mud in Foxboro last weekend, hmmm, whatever, eff the pats anyway!! MY point is still valid, our season is no more lost than yours!

Archived