Andrew Gross Chat Transcript

Maxman

Thanks to all involved for last nights chat with Andrew Gross. The transcript is on the front page now. http://www.jetnation.com/?p=732

Andrew is the Jets beat reporter for the Journal News. Please check out his blog -- it is loaded with good NY Jets Info. http://jets.lohudblogs.com/

Thank you Andrew for your time and your honest answers. We really appreciate it!

Andrew was great. This is only his first year covering the Jets & the Journal-News (Rockland/Westchester paper) doesn't get nearly the circulation that Tom Rock does so not too many people knew his name unless they saw it in the articles I post in the mornings. But he really seemed to know his stuff. We actually ran out of questions.

Thanks again, Andrew.

i am willing to bet money against two of the following "statements" made by Mr Gross:

-DRob will not be there next year

(Two players who suck aren't better than one player who is potentially great)

-DBrick will not be better than Mangold over the long haul

(Both will be great, Brick will be excellent)

i am willing to bet money against two of the following "statements" made by Mr Gross:

I may not agree with that first one either, as DRob's cap # next year is like $4M - still high, but not the $8.5M number he carries this year. Depends on who else we get (if anyone). It balloons up again in '08 so he'll probably be cut before then.

DBrick/Mangold? Too early to tell. If DBrick can't put on (and maintain) at least another 10 lbs I agree with Andrew. At worst, Brick will be very good. Mangold could end up being the premiere center in football so who knows. Both are friggin' rookies.

I may not agree with that first one either, as DRob's cap # next year is like $4M - still high, but not the $8.5M number he carries this year. Depends on who else we get (if anyone). It balloons up again in '08 so he'll probably be cut before then.

if the Jets cut DRob there will be 31 waiver claims put in on him. It makes no sense, especially considering how poor DT play is around the league. I don't know what people want or expect out of this player but trust me if the Jets get rid of #63 whoever replaces him will be worse, i guaruntee it.

DBrick/Mangold? Too early to tell. If DBrick can't put on (and maintain) at least another 10 lbs I agree with Andrew. At worst, Brick will be very good. Mangold could end up being the premiere center in football so who knows. Both are friggin' rookies.

you are right it is too early to tell but in terms of pure physical attributes, a shut down pass protecting left tackle is a more rare commodity than a great center. Left tackle is the premier OL position in the league, to say that any center (even the greatest in all of football for arguments sake) is better than a top flight left tackle is misinformation.

I don't want to dis these "experts" cause they do a decent job but cmon we'd learn more from the die hard off the street.

if the Jets cut DRob there will be 31 waiver claims put in on him. It makes no sense, especially considering how poor DT play is around the league. I don't know what people want or expect out of this player but trust me if the Jets get rid of #63 whoever replaces him will be worse, i guaruntee it.

Considering his cap # will be similar to cut or keep I doubt he gets cut after this year. At best we'd save $2M on a $110M cap by spreading it over two years. But then in '08 the hit would be similar to us keeping him until the '07 season is over. The net combined savings would be negligible considering how high the salary cap is getting.

However, saying that someone else would sign him doesn't mean much. Someone else signed Brooks Bollinger & even surrendered a player & a draft pick to get him.

DRob played really well on Sunday, but if someone else wants to offer him a mega-contract, they're welcome to him. I still say he sticks for '07 & then gets cut loose. He won't be worth a $7M or so cap hit in '08 & we're not going to give him another 5-figure SB to lock him up for longer.

DRob played really well on Sunday, but if someone else wants to offer him a mega-contract, they're welcome to him. I still say he sticks for '07 & then gets cut loose. He won't be worth a $7M or so cap hit in '08 & we're not going to give him another 5-figure SB to lock him up for longer.

Nah i doubt it. Far more likely they will restructure him and extend the years. The guy isn't just a good player he's also growing into a role of vocal leader. mangini doesn't dole out fake praise and he's had nothing but good things to say about Drob.

The fans have to learn the economic theory of sunk cost. The price paid is irrelivant to the current investment - it doesn't matter how many draft picks they used to trade up or what the guy is getting paid - all that matters is he a good player today?

Andrew was great. This is only his first year covering the Jets & the Journal-News (Rockland/Westchester paper) doesn't get nearly the circulation that Tom Rock does so not too many people knew his name unless they saw it in the articles I post in the mornings. But he really seemed to know his stuff. We actually ran out of questions.

Thanks again, Andrew.

Andrew Gross did a great job last night. Thanks to SE for setting it up and running the show.

Nah i doubt it. Far more likely they will restructure him and extend the years. The guy isn't just a good player he's also growing into a role of vocal leader. mangini doesn't dole out fake praise and he's had nothing but good things to say about Drob.

The fans have to learn the economic theory of sunk cost. The price paid is irrelivant to the current investment - it doesn't matter how many draft picks they used to trade up or what the guy is getting paid - all that matters is he a good player today?

My reasoning had nothing to do with what it cost to get him. From Mangini' & Tannenbaum's standpoint that's ancient history. I just don't know that we couldn't get a better nose tackle than DRob for less than $6M/yr (even if he only costs $2-3M per for the first 2 yrs after restructuring).

I'm not big on restructuring guys who aren't EXACTLY who you want for big dollars. But hey, if he continues to improve & turns into a consistent, above-average run-stopper I have no problem re-signing him. I hope he does turn into that player, as they're very hard to come across. I just doubt that it'll happen. Time will tell.

It's happening right now - after a slow start Drob has been gangbusters

i'll admit he has shown improvement, but in flashes. he'll never be worth what we gave up for him, that's a plain fact. The truth is, the best thing for the organization as a whole is for DRob to start being more consistent and become the answer at DT/NG for the Jets. I don't expect him to be all-pro, but he needs to be consistent. Flashes one week followed by him getting smashed the next is not going to cut it.

Actually, Mr. Gross is dead on with both those statements.

Actually, Mr. Gross is dead on with both those statements.

Tx, you really believe you're better off with two players that suck than one that is potentially great? I guess you are satisfied with the Pats philosophy at wr.

He did a fantastic job, I think.....There weren't a lot of poster in the chat room last night, but the caliber of questions was outstanding.

By the way, Max , I mentioned Anthony Schlegel 3 times in the chat and spelled his name differently all 3 times...time to invest in a spellchecker with Jets surnames in it :bag:

Maybe I should just refer to him as the Jets Nick Swisher (Oakland A' s) look-a-like....

Not such a bad reference, as Swisher played baseball at Ohio State and has spent his recent winters lifting weights and hanging out with Schlegel, A.J. Hawk and Bobby Carpenter.

He did a fantastic job, I think.....There weren't a lot of poster in the chat room last night, but the caliber of questions was outstanding.

By the way, Max , I mentioned Anthony Schlegel 3 times in the chat and spelled his name differently all 3 times...time to invest in a spellchecker with Jets surnames in it :bag:

Maybe I should just refer to him as the Jets Nick Swisher (Oakland A' s) look-a-like....

Not such a bad reference, as Swisher played baseball at Ohio State and has spent his recent winters lifting weights and hanging out with Schlegel, A.J. Hawk and Bobby Carpenter.

R44 Thanks for all your work on these chats- where have you been we need your insight and posts!

Andrew is coming back next month. I didn't send out email reminders about the last 2 chats. Totally my fault. We will remind everyone in December when Andrew comes back!

one of the best CHATS so far...

Definitely agree. Andrew is going to come back in December so that we can talk about the Jets playoff matchups and the demise of the Pats.

Think about this...by mid December the Pats will be done, the Bills will be the Bills and the Fins will have a very expensive backup (Culpepper) and will be talking about how great Harrington is.

Not bad. Not bad at all (for the Jets anyway).

Archived