Bill Simmons on Jets-Pats game

raffyD

Have we become like this as Jets fans??? I think we have, it's almost like shell shock from last year.

Full article see: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061117

9. That Pats-Jets game was no fluke. The Pats don't have any big-play guys and seem leery about giving Maroney the starting job because they don't want Corey Dillon to poison the clubhouse, which is exactly what would happen, even though he's so slow at this point that CBS decided to run two commercials during his 50-yard run last weekend. So they can only score with these elaborate 12-play, 80-yard drives where everything has to go perfectly -- no tipped passes at the line, no receivers falling down, no overthrows, no holding penalties, etc. -- or else the drive gets derailed. Through 10 weeks, they've only scored 24 points outside the red zone (one field goal, three TDs), the third-lowest total in the league. Everything's a chore for them, nobody can get open downfield and Brady is pressing because he feels like he has to be perfect on every play. And they still miss Charlie Weis. Just seems like they're easy to stop. Plus, the Jets are better than people think. The division race is not over.

(By the way, I'm serious. But the best part of the previous paragraph is telling it to a Jets fan, then having them pull the "Come on, stop pulling my chain" routine. The Jets could win the Super Bowl and their fans would still be conditioned to react by saying, "I'm not getting sucked in, I'm happy we're winning but I'm not getting my hopes up, we're not that good ...")

The rest of the article is pretty funny.

(By the way, I'm serious. But the best part of the previous paragraph is telling it to a Jets fan, then having them pull the "Come on, stop pulling my chain" routine. The Jets could win the Super Bowl and their fans would still be conditioned to react by saying, "I'm not getting sucked in, I'm happy we're winning but I'm not getting my hopes up, we're not that good ...")

The rest of the article is pretty funny.

oh yea raffy you're absolutely right.The Jets have way too many "fans" that I categorize as The-glass-is-half-empty-crowd.There are a few of us on both sites I go to that DO have faith-which some like to call delusional-and it's not just Tex saying it

oh yea raffy you're absolutely right.The Jets have way too many "fans" that I categorize as The-glass-is-half-empty-crowd.There are a few of us on both sites I go to that DO have faith-which some like to call delusional-and it's not just Tex saying it

Oh I have the faith, but it's like Pacino in Godfather the way this team has teased us over and over again (I wasn't alive for 1969), they keep pulling me back in!

I am one of those "fans." If you don't think I'm a real fan, realize that I am on this message board after the Marine party (2-3 glasses of white, 3 or so glasses of red, 3 + shots of tequila and countless beers) and during a Lili Carati, Gloria Guida movie (if you don't think that's a sacrifice, look them up). I'll believe the Jets are super bowl ready when they are, and I'm not seeing it yet.

Boasting that you can win the Super Bowl without being a legitimate super power doesn't make you more of a "fan", it makes you an annoying homer. Heck, even if you are a legitimate contender, you don't act like you've won the SB before you even play in it. Are you going to insult the players and coaches next for taking it one game at a time, instead of looking ahead? They're not really "for the team" if they don't talk about being SB contenders or something?

There's a difference between quietly hoping, and empty boasting. It's not like we're rooting against the team here. Outside of rajensen and the fans of other teams on this board (actually that is redundant) everyone on here is a true "fan." You don't spend time on a board if you aren't.

I'm much more optimisitc this year than since Parcells left. But you also have to remember that chances at the brass ring aren't a given. So we're gonna see in the next 7 weeks if we have a golden ticket.

Totally unrelated-I liked this part of the article too-

Yo, Sports Guy, me and my friends tried to do a drinking game where we did a shot every time we saw the Melencamp commercial. Two of us died from alcohol poisoning, one choked on his own vomit and my liver exploded by halftime of the 4 p.m. game. This really is our country.

--Ken, Buffalo, N.Y.

SG: From the east coast

To the west coast

Down the Dixie Highway

Back home

This is ouuuuuuuur country

POTW NOM

That is awesome!!! Man I wish I thought of that.

lol, if Simmons wins POTW before I do then I just don't know what I'm going to do to myself, that may be too much for me to handle. Even though he's a boston homer he can throw down some good text, funny stuff.

Back to topic: I don't know if this makes me a homer or not but I've always believed in the any given Sunday theory. Get enough of those and anything can happen.

Dom and serph-I'm not questioning your loyalty to the Jets and neither am I saying we're winning the super bowl.What I have been saying though,since the springtime is this;After having watched this game for 40 years I know that football is an "anything can happen" sport.It comes down to 2-3 plays a game and 2-3 calls if they can go your way a game to be the difference between a contender and not.The X-factor though is always going to be injuries-whoever gets the least amount in the least crucial areas will always have a better chance to become a playoff team.

Dom and serph-I'm not questioning your loyalty to the Jets and neither am I saying we're winning the super bowl.What I have been saying though,since the springtime is this;After having watched this game for 40 years I know that football is an "anything can happen" sport.It comes down to 2-3 plays a game and 2-3 calls if they can go your way a game to be the difference between a contender and not.The X-factor though is always going to be injuries-whoever gets the least amount in the least crucial areas will always have a better chance to become a playoff team.

That's what worries me. Jets haven't had a serious injury bug hit. Knock wood. I'll just pretend that Martin and the two preseason NTs were a big blow to us when I talk to the Giants fans. I hope this continues over the next year or two and that a big part of it is the lack of old guys to get hurt (like Kendall).

That's what worries me. Jets haven't had a serious injury bug hit. Knock wood. I'll just pretend that Martin and the two preseason NTs were a big blow to us when I talk to the Giants fans. I hope this continues over the next year or two and that a big part of it is the lack of old guys to get hurt (like Kendall).

as long as we don't lose our starting QB or say a Mangold or D'Brick on the line I think we can sustain the loss with our depth

Archived