D-Rob and Bryan Thomas notes from ESPN

AFJF

There was considerable doubt in the New York Jets' training camp this summer, including plenty from the coaching staff, about the ability of four-year veteran Dewayne Robertson to transition to playing nose tackle in the 3-4 front that first-year coach Eric Mangini and coordinator Bob Sutton installed. Robertson is more a classic 4-3 tackle, not the "slobberknocker"-type run-stuffer who teams characteristically want playing on the nose. In camp, Robertson struggled at times, and New York for a while switched veteran end Kimo von Oelhoffen to tackle. At that point, the consensus was that Robertson would move to end full time. But as he became more accustomed to playing on the nose, Robertson demonstrated dramatic improvement, and he continues to get better as he learns the nuances of the position. Robertson has 37 tackles, two sacks and a fumble recovery, and his innate explosiveness and improved use of his hands are causing problems for offensive linemen. In last Sunday's upset victory at New England, he registered six tackles and a sack, and five of the tackles came within a yard of the line of scrimmage. Robertson earned defensive player of the week honors for his effort, and is starting to earn plenty of notice around the league. Another veteran about whom there were doubts as to how he would fit into the 3-4 front was end Bryan Thomas, the Jets' first-round choice in 2002. Regarded as a one-dimensional pass-rusher, and maybe nothing more than just a situational player, Thomas has played well in a hybrid role this season. His performance versus the run, as evidenced by 49 tackles, has been a revelation. Jets officials would like to sign Thomas to a contract extension to keep him off the free-agency market.

Ok Thomas has done some things but there would be no better options as a free agent or via the draft? He is not worth a considerable contract in my eyes but then again this team blinded me years ago

i doubt he would get a lot of money, but he may be willing to sign a decent contract right now. and if that is the case, i would do it.

Regarded as a one-dimensional pass-rusher, and maybe nothing more than just a situational player, Thomas has played well in a hybrid role this season. His performance versus the run, as evidenced by 49 tackles, has been a revelation. Jets officials would like to sign Thomas to a contract extension to keep him off the free-agency market.

espn has NO credibility when they print crap like this. i don't expect them to follow the jets as closely as fans like us, but give me a break - they only need to look at thomas career sack total to realize this is patently false. a 1-dimensional pass rusher? that was abe, thomas has always been good against the run and has struggled rushing the passer.

Ok Thomas has done some things but there would be no better options as a free agent or via the draft? He is not worth a considerable contract in my eyes but then again this team blinded me years ago

the grass is not always greener

if Bryan THomas was on the Ravens, Pats or Broncos he'd fit right right into a great defense and be a great player.

espn has NO credibility when they print crap like this. i don't expect them to follow the jets as closely as fans like us, but give me a break - they only need to look at thomas career sack total to realize this is patently false. a 1-dimensional pass rusher? that was abe, thomas has always been good against the run and has struggled rushing the passer.

yeah i was gonna say the same thing. bryan thomas a 1 dimensional pass rusher? don't you have to rush the passer 1st before they can slap a dimension label on you?

if Bryan THomas was on the Ravens, Pats or Broncos he'd fit right right into a great defense and be a great player.

Big difference bit.

The Ravens, Pats and Broncos have been playing the exact same defense for years. It's pretty easy to step right into an established defense, and I'm sure Thomas would excel.

I still think Thomas has done an incredible job this year basically learning an entire new position. You guys don't seem to give him enough credit for how well he has played this year.

Big difference bit.

The Ravens, Pats and Broncos have been playing the exact same defense for years. It's pretty easy to step right into an established defense, and I'm sure Thomas would excel.

I still think Thomas has done an incredible job this year basically learning an entire new position. You guys don't seem to give him enough credit for how well he has played this year.

the 1 dimensional pass thing came from years past dumbass ;)

the 1 dimensional pass thing came from years past dumbass ;)

Bryan Thomas rep as pass rusher came from college. He's never done anything in the NFL to support that rep. As a pass rusher, he usually doesn't miss once he gets his hands on the qb. That's the most I can say for him. The words incredible and great don't belong in a description of Thomas. As far as I'm concerned DRob is twice the player.

Bryan Thomas rep as pass rusher came from college. He's never done anything in the NFL to support that rep. As a pass rusher, he usually doesn't miss once he gets his hands on the qb. That's the most I can say for him. The words incredible and great don't belong in a description of Thomas. As far as I'm concerned DRob is twice the player.

Don't waste money on Thomas unless it's a small contract, go after Dwight Freeney this off-season.

Don't waste money on Thomas unless it's a small contract, go after Dwight Freeney this off-season.

that's all we need, one more underacheiving pile that has two good years on a team that always has the lead. Colts defense is terrible, and so is freeney.

Archived