2007 SS job up for grabs: Eric Smith vs Erik Coleman

Reported in The Sporting News:

"Jets rookie S Eric Smith will challenge Erik Coleman for a starting role in 2007. Smith is bright and capable of making the calls for the secondary. That carries a lot of weight with coach Eric Mangini, who won't put up with mental errors. The Jets need an enforcer such as Smith in the secondary to help their shaky run defense."

Smith did a good job. I thought he played well in the Patriots game, had a couple PD's and made some hard tackles.

Being a DB in the N.F.L. is rough and some fans expect way too much from these cats. QB's and WR's always have the advantage -- they are moving forward and know where the ball is going. The DB's are usually moving backwards and have to guess were the receiver will go. This is why over 60% of throws are completed in the N.F.L.

Point?

I think those that say Smith is liability in coverage are not being fair. I thought he did well. Whether he beats out Coleman is hard to say. It will depend, largely, on how they fare in the pre-season.

He was called a reach many times, which he was. Nobody called him a bust that I can think of, b/c most people here hadn't heard of him until the Jets drafted him. As such, few expected enough to label him as a bust.

I see, from what I saw of him this year he seemed like he has a lot of potential... He gets across the field very fast and can make some nice tackles... It would be nice to have a SS who makes WR's wonder if they even want to try and catch a ball...

Archived