Best team doesn't always win...

pjam76

Bad play, missed play here and there, and it all can be a huge glory or major disappointment. Marty S has lost too many close games in the regular season and post season like this for him to be considered a good coach.. When the pressure is on the guy seems to choke. Even if today I don't think he had as much to do with the loss as the Chargers players choking.

But after watching the playoffs this weekend what it came down to were defensive stops.

The Bears stopped the Seahawks 2 times. Once in regulation and once in OT... Seattle had Great Field position but yet not even a FG attempt. The Bears wind up kicking a FG to win the game.

The Saints stopped the Eagles, the Eagles for one reason or another punted the ball, saints ran the clock out.

The Chargers allowed 11 points in 3 minutes. You can have 10 sacks and 3 interceptions, but if you allow a team to drive down the field and kick a 30 yard FG to win the game, you are not a great defense.

The Pats, forced the Chargers to kick a 54 yard FG. Game over.

Defenses need to make stops to end the game. It's that simple. Yeah the offense has to drive down the field, but in the end, the good defenses find ways to win the game.

The Chargers, Eagles, Seahawks, even the Ravens all found ways to lose the game.

Brady and the Pats offense played a poor game.

Manning and the Colts played a poor game.

Yet both won because their defenses gave them a chance to win it.

As I said before, the Jets defense needs to make stops to end drives, to end games.

One or two players changed on this defense won't do that. They never stopped the run all year long. THey gave up big plays at the worse moments. They gave up long drives at the worse moments. They rarely pressured the QB. And they couldn't stop the two minute offense.

That is not just a 1 or 2 player change.

FOr the Jets to compete for at least the AFC CHampionship next season, that defense needs to improve a lot more than it did this season.

Offense is nice, but if your offense is having a bad game, your defense has to at least keep the game manageable.

Like I said before, the Chargers D would win or lose that game. In the end, they lost it. LT had his 2 TDs and 120 rushing yards, but it didn't really matter.

The Chargers stopped the Pats twice in the 4th qtr and should have won the game. The first stop was just before the A-hole db headbutted the pat to give the ball back and the 2nd time was when they intercepted a 4th down pass they should have just knocked down and then fumbled away. Add that to the 2 timeouts they needlessly burned which would have given them time to win the game anyway, and the fumble that the punt returner should have just fallen on and you have a team that didn't play smart and lost because of it. A team that doesn't play smart is one that is poorly coached, and that is on Marty.

The Chargers stopped the Pats twice in the 4th qtr and should have won the game. The first stop was just before the A-hole db headbutted the pat to give the ball back and the 2nd time was when they intercepted a 4th down pass they should have just knocked down and then fumbled away. Add that to the 2 timeouts they needlessly burned which would have given them time to win the game anyway, and the fumble that the punt returner should have just fallen on and you have a team that didn't play smart and lost because of it. A team that doesn't play smart is one that is poorly coached, and that is on Marty.

Honestly, I didnt see them play that often this year. They couldnt have gone 14-2 if they played this way all season, could they? Its hard to believe they could have been this undisciplined all season and still ended up with homefield advantage.

The biggest play of the game was the 30 yard pass on 3rd and 10.... That makes it about a 30 Yard FG to win the game.

That is not making a stop.

THis nonesense about not intercepting a ball or intercepting it is stupid. If the guy goes to knock it down and it flies into the air and the Pats catch it, he's killed.

If he has a chance to catch it, most defensive players will catch it.

Him trying to make a play and then fumbling it was the bad play, not him catching it.

The Chargers defense choked. Philip Rivers never showed up in the game. The Receivers missed plenty of passes and in the end their kicker missed a 54 yard FG.

Marty S really didn't lose this game.. The Chargers did.

All the things that have been said about Marty S today could be said about the way the Jets lost to the Pats.

Stupid plays(lateral). (watching the Pats recover the lateral). Not catching an interception. Vilma not sacking brady and going for the ball. Chad P throwing a bad interception that is run back.

So like I said, Marty deserves blame for choking over the years, but today, besides a few boneheaded timeout and challenges, it wasn't on him. If you think it was, then you have to blame Mangini for the way the Jets folded in the 4th quarter against the Pats.

to think to blame that on the coach.

I've seen most NFL players catch an interception if they can. Many wind up dropping it not because they want to, but because they couldn't hold on to the ball.

Yeah it might be a smart play, but the majority of players in todays NFL try for the interception, regardless of what team or coach they play for.

to think to blame that on the coach.

I've seen most NFL players catch an interception if they can. Many wind up dropping it not because they want to, but because they couldn't hold on to the ball.

Yeah it might be a smart play, but the majority of players in todays NFL try for the interception, regardless of what team or coach they play for.

I agree that most catch it, but most in that situation would just fall and not try to run it back. Thats where I really fault him. You have to be aware of the situation, they had the game won right there.

Cry me a river. The bitterness is ridiculous.

Pats won. Get over it mate.

Cry me a river. The bitterness is ridiculous.

Pats won. Get over it mate.

gainzo congrats to you & the pats for the win. I doubt the chargers would lose to any other team in the nfl in a game like that. Credit to pats for knowing how to win a big game no matter what.

I've read a bunch of you're posts since the end of this game though. They are all pretty much classless.

pkfish & garb have both gotten points across without coming off as pompuss & indignant. I think tx would be more gracious & less annoying than you have been cause he's usually pretty good after a win.

you've gone down a notch in my book cause I've always enjoyed you're posts here. Just thought you should know gainz.

gainzo congrats to you & the pats for the win. I doubt the chargers would lose to any other team in the nfl in a game like that. Credit to pats for knowing how to win a big game no matter what.

I've read a bunch of you're posts since the end of this game though. They are all pretty much classless.

pkfish & garb have both gotten points across without coming off as pompuss & indignant. I think tx would be more gracious & less annoying than you have been cause he's usually pretty good after a win.

you've gone down a notch in my book cause I've always enjoyed you're posts here. Just thought you should know gainz.

Never understood why people congratulate other fans on the win....not like Gainzo sitting on his ass having a fosters helped the pats yesterday.

Never understood why people congratulate other fans on the win....not like Gainzo sitting on his ass having a fosters helped the pats yesterday.

Because JW is a stand-up guy. For all the back and forth banter going around, I hope the Jets win the Superbowl for some of the fans on this board. It is a great feeling. I would not not wish that for the people on this board.

Because JW is a stand-up guy. For all the back and forth banter going around, I hope the Jets win the Superbowl for some of the fans on this board. It is a great feeling. I would not not wish that for the people on this board.
When the Jets win a super bowl i hope we don't need the ref's help.

thanks pf, much appreciated. Gainzo is a really cool poster imo or I wouldn't have bothered to even mention it.

I really do have to tip my hat to the pats ability to come out on top of any dogfight in a big game

Alright Jets Nation lets relax with the crying and bitching about the Pats, you guys are making me sick. If we were the Pats and all the calls went our way we would love it. Mike who the hell cares if we needed the refs help to win the superbowl I wouldnt. You guys need to relax, your backing me into a corner where I have to defend the Pats. I mean come on guys I hate them just as much if not more than the rest of you. But Don't dont the fact that they are a money football team who shows up when they need to play dont take that and start bashing them and making excuses.

Bad play, missed play here and there, and it all can be a huge glory or major disappointment. Marty S has lost too many close games in the regular season and post season like this for him to be considered a good coach.. When the pressure is on the guy seems to choke. Even if today I don't think he had as much to do with the loss as the Chargers players choking.

But after watching the playoffs this weekend what it came down to were defensive stops.

The Bears stopped the Seahawks 2 times. Once in regulation and once in OT... Seattle had Great Field position but yet not even a FG attempt. The Bears wind up kicking a FG to win the game.

The Saints stopped the Eagles, the Eagles for one reason or another punted the ball, saints ran the clock out.

The Chargers allowed 11 points in 3 minutes. You can have 10 sacks and 3 interceptions, but if you allow a team to drive down the field and kick a 30 yard FG to win the game, you are not a great defense.

The Pats, forced the Chargers to kick a 54 yard FG. Game over.

Defenses need to make stops to end the game. It's that simple. Yeah the offense has to drive down the field, but in the end, the good defenses find ways to win the game.

The Chargers, Eagles, Seahawks, even the Ravens all found ways to lose the game.

Brady and the Pats offense played a poor game.

Manning and the Colts played a poor game.

Yet both won because their defenses gave them a chance to win it.

As I said before, the Jets defense needs to make stops to end drives, to end games.

One or two players changed on this defense won't do that. They never stopped the run all year long. THey gave up big plays at the worse moments. They gave up long drives at the worse moments. They rarely pressured the QB. And they couldn't stop the two minute offense.

That is not just a 1 or 2 player change.

FOr the Jets to compete for at least the AFC CHampionship next season, that defense needs to improve a lot more than it did this season.

Offense is nice, but if your offense is having a bad game, your defense has to at least keep the game manageable.

Like I said before, the Chargers D would win or lose that game. In the end, they lost it. LT had his 2 TDs and 120 rushing yards, but it didn't really matter.

pjam...I will agree with you up to a couple of points:

1. In order for the Jets to compete next year to get into the playoffs and then be sucessfull in the playoffs the defense has to do a better job...no question about that.

2. However, Chad needs to improve his play...

As for the game yesterday between the Chargers and SD....the play calling by SD..sucked and the defense did not finish when it counted...in the 4th quarter!!!

Better teams don't intercept passes only to fumble them on 4th down.Better teams don't give up stupid drive extending penelties.Better teams don't continuously drop passes.

The pats were the better team.Although I will say the chargers beat themselves more than the pats did.The pats can count themselves very lucky to be in the championship game.

Archived