Panthers throw right guy under bus today

SouthernJet

Henning out.

Panthers fire offensive coordinator Henning

Fox: 'This is a very difficult decision'

Associated Press

The Carolina Panthers fired offensive coordinator Dan Henning and two other assistants Monday, two weeks after finishing a disappointing 8-8 season.

Offensive line coach Mike Maser and secondary coach Rod Perry were also let go.

"This is a very difficult decision because these coaches have played an integral role in the success we have experienced since coming to the Panthers," coach John Fox said. "They were part of a Super Bowl and two NFC championship games and those accomplishments would not have been possible without their contributions."

The Panthers struggled on offense and failed to make the playoffs, hurt in part by numerous injuries on the offensive line. But Henning's playcalling also came under question as Carolina struggled to run and get the ball to receiver Steve Smith.

Well, there goes Keyshawn! He said he would only stay if Henning stayed!

Carolina may not trade him just because he said he wanted Henning back in 07. I don't think the Panthers trade or release MEshawn and if they do... I wonder where Mr. MEshawn would land next.

I'd bet Henning is Tony Romo's new QB coach next season

I'd bet on that too. Henning did a great job here with Testaverde, and I suspect that he just stayed too long, such that Jake Delhomme's true mediocrity finally came to the fore. There's only so much coaching can do. But somebody had to get tossed out of the lifeboat for John Fox to stay. Though I think the day after Caroline fires FOx he'll be snapped up by someone.

Jake Delhomme has been mediocre the last couple of years . Dan Henning did good work for the Jets before- I would not mind him as a QB mentor- if the Giants were smart they should bring him in to work with Eli.

Jake Delhomme has been mediocre the last couple of years . Dan Henning did good work for the Jets before- I would not mind him as a QB mentor- if the Giants were smart they should bring him in to work with Eli.

I agree, I would love it if Henning were brought back.

not as OC though.

way too conservative... i like schott better,,

henning may have old-manned down to QB coach ny now.

he was a horrible OC for us in 2000. he relied way too much on Vinny coming off a year in which he missed w/ an injury and having Wayne and ward as our top 2 WRs. he should have leaned more on Curtis and our offense had most of it's success when we were down big and Vinny was running a hurry up O and calling the plays at the line. We won a efw games in spite of poor coaching though it caught up w/ us in the end when we lost our last 3 and 6 of 9.

Archived