What are u listening to right now?

On 2/17/2012 at 9:05 PM, SoFlaJets said:

I love this song and used to play it for my nephew when he was a little boy-he's an amazing singer-songwriter living in Nashville now...Let Me Sleep Beside You was the best song on that collection by David Jones...he wasn't even Bowie yet

Thank you (and others) so much for posting such cool stuff!  I don't know Bowie as well as I should and you guys are posting some real gems!  [even if it's from 12 years ago!  lol]

On 5/11/2024 at 11:29 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

This song hit like. a major earthquake to the music industry. It had Beatle-esque affect minus the adolescent screaming. One can't overlook the influence that Mick Ronson as a listed "Mixer" had on those great Bowie Albums from The Man Who Sold The World, Hunky Dury, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, Aladdin Sane, and Pin Ups. Those albums from a half a century (!!!!) ago, sonically still stand up to the test of time. The clarity from Ronson's production work is as great as anything that The Beatles with George Martin and the Abbey Road crew ever put out. It is said that Tony Defries tried to get Phil Spector to produce Alladin Sane but they (thankfully) never heard back from (the crazy focker) him.

They even changed the way that the vinyl albums were then being test-released with Dynaflex. With those RCA albums made with the thinner vinyl, you could take a record and bend it into a "C" OK, or a "U" and they wouldn't break. It was said that they warped easier, I never found that true and I think they lasted longer and got less scratches or skips as I was a person who was never a "careful" record playing customer. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

This song hit like. a major earthquake to the music industry. It had Beatle-esque affect minus the adolescent screaming. One can't overlook the influence that Mick Ronson as a listed "Mixer" had on those great Bowie Albums from The Man Who Sold The World, Hunky Dury, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, Aladdin Sane, and Pin Ups. Those albums from a half a century (!!!!) ago, sonically still stand up to the test of time. The clarity from Ronson's production work is as great as anything that The Beatles with George Martin and the Abbey Road crew ever put out. It is said that Tony Defries tried to get Phil Spector to produce Alladin Sane but they (thankfully) never heard back from (the crazy focker) him.

They even changed the way that the vinyl albums were then being test-released with Dynaflex. With those RCA albums made with the thinner vinyl, you could take a record and bend it into a "C" OK, or a "U" and they wouldn't break. It was said that they warped easier, I never found that true and I think they lasted longer and got less scratches or skips as I was a person who was never a "careful" record playing customer. 

So well said.  I'm a Bowie fanboi, so you'll find now argument here from me but from TMWSTW to IMO Station to Station, is the greatest song writing period we've ever seen from an artist.  Just utter brilliance.  Ronson is brilliant on so many.  I think what I love most about the Bowie period is everything he did was good.  Like, there are some many "deep cuts" from those albums that are just masterpieces.

21 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

So well said.  I'm a Bowie fanboi, so you'll find now argument here from me but from TMWSTW to IMO Station to Station, is the greatest song writing period we've ever seen from an artist.  Just utter brilliance.  Ronson is brilliant on so many.  I think what I love most about the Bowie period is everything he did was good.  Like, there are some many "deep cuts" from those albums that are just masterpieces.

I'm going to send you link to an online playlist of Bowie studio covers we did mostly during the Covid lockdown when there were no gigs to play and no way to keep the "chops up". So what I did was record dozens of songs (including 2 whole online Springsteen albums)  and put them up on my YouTube channel.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Jethead said:

My big 3 have been the same for 50 years - The Dead, The Band and The Allman Brothers.

Curious, as a 50 year fan of the Dead....how do you like the new rendition w/ Mayer?  Ive loved all the iterations since Jerry passed....did a 5 show leg on both tours w/ The Bros and The Other One and Phil Lesh and Friends...fantastic shows...but Jimmy Herring and Warren Haynes sprinkled w/ Derek Trucks bring a little different of feel to the Dead's music than Mayer does.

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

I'm going to send you link to an online playlist of Bowie studio covers we did mostly during the Covid lockdown when there were no gigs to play and no way to keep the "chops up". So what I did was record dozens of songs (including 2 whole online Springsteen albums)  and put them up on my YouTube channel.

Any chance you can forward me this as well?

10 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Curious, as a 50 year fan of the Dead....how do you like the new rendition w/ Mayer?  Ive loved all the iterations since Jerry passed....did a 5 show leg on both tours w/ The Bros and The Other One and Phil Lesh and Friends...fantastic shows...but Jimmy Herring and Warren Haynes sprinkled w/ Derek Trucks bring a little different of feel to the Dead's music than Mayer does.

Was pleasantly surprised how much I liked Mayer. Really like Bobby and Wolf Bros. My favorite since the original and I've seen all the flavors.

• Upvote 1