Thursday's Jets News + 2007 salary cap info

SoFlaJets

Jets not finished with backfield

BY TOM ROCK

tom.rock@newsday.com

March 8, 2007

A day after unveiling recently acquired running back Thomas Jones, the Jets showed they are not yet done refurbishing their backfield.

The team had meetings with free agent RB T.J. Duckett (Redskins) and FB Darian Barnes (Miami) yesterday, according to a league source.

The Jets also continued deliberations on DE David Bowens (Miami) after signing Kenyon Coleman and Bobby Hamilton on Tuesday

From John at Jetscentral.com

Posted on Wed, March 7, 2007 - 07:35PM by Johnnie Hanley

The salary cap is a confounding thing to understand at times, and for many reasons. First, it's fluid. It can change, and does change all the time. Attempting to track a team's cap space is difficult at best, and impossible at worst, especially during the free agent signing period. Let's take a look at how the reported cap space for the Jets this year has evolved.

First, there were conflicting reports, all from reliable sources as to where the Jets cap figure was around the beginning of February. Some sources put it at 28 mil, others at 20.8 mil. Why the initial confusion? Some estimates included the cap hit from a little known contract clause, the "Not likely to be earned" bonus in a player's contract. Pennington's 2006 contract was heavilly laiden by this sort of contract clause. Pennington did indeed end up earning those bonuses, but they are not charged against the 2006 cap, they are instead added to the 2007 cap numbers.

This may partially explain why reliable sources had such a large disparity in the cap space estimates. These figures, the "unlikely to be earned" bonuses don't actually get applied to a team's cap space until March 1st. So, do the early cap numbers include these forecasted hits on a team's salary cap? Unfortunatley, the sources estimating the available caps don't say one way or the other. That leaves us fans, myself included, often wondering where our team might stand. No, I am no cap expert by any stretch of the imagination. But I wanted to try to understand it as best a regular 'ol fan might hope to.

Here is what I see as of today, where the Jets are in terms of cap space. I will use the numbers that John Clayton of ESPN used. He had a low estimate of 20.8 mil as opposed to the other higher estimates. Starting from there, the Jets then cut Barlow (2.6 mil) , Blaylock and Hamilton combined (2.0 mil) and Teague (0.72 mil). That brings the cap number up to 26.12 mil.

Poteat was signed for 635,000 which should have been included in Clayton's number, since he was signed on Feb 22. Then, on March 1st, Pennington's incentives would hit the cap, whatever amount that might be. Cotchery was extened on March 1st, but the cap hit of both players has to be guessed at. Then, on March 2nd, Clayton reports the Jets cap number as down to 15.9 mil. That would mean the hits from Pennington and Cotchery were about 10.1 mil combined. That seems a bit high to me. Now, add in the fact that Ramsey was cut on March 2nd as well, for a cap savings of 2.1 mil. Certainly Clayton's number didn't include that savings?

So, my guesstimate as of March 2nd is that the Jets had 18 mil of cap space. Now they sign Thomas Jones reportedly at 12 mil garanteed, 4 years at 20 mil. I'll estimate that 2007 cap hit at 6 mil. Hamilton gets re-signed, and Coleman, the DE from Dallas also gets signed. I can only guess at the cost of those signings as of now, so let's say those two players combined cost 2.5 mil against the 2007 cap. That should still leave the Jets with about 9.5 mil under the 2007 cap.

That is still in the comfort range, but leaves the Jets in a position of obtaining only one more solid FA this year, since they will need some cap space for training camp cuts from other NFL teams.

This is by no means a difinitive, or authoratative report on the Jets salary cap situation, but it should be relatively close to reflecting where the Jets salary cap stands as of today, with at least a 15% fudge factor. The cap is a very strange beast, and hunting it down in the middle of the free gancy signing period is largely a smoke and mirrors effort.... only the Jets know exactly where they stand. The rest of us are left to guess, and this is my guess.

Buzz - Marques Tuiasosopo

Posted on Wed, March 7, 2007 - 03:07PM by Gary Grund

...It is believed that Marques Tuiasosopo failed to receive a contract offer from the Jets in his visit yesterday. The Jets are in the market for a 3rd string veteran QB who can push Kellen Clemens to get the backup job and mentor him...

...With Brad Johnson going to the Cowboys, Collins re-signing with the Titans, and Garcia signing with the Bucs, it leaves the Jets will Joey Harrington, Drew Bledsoe, Aaron Brooks, Tim Rattay, and Vinny Testaverde as possible options. Honestly, I would only want to see Tim Rattay or Vinny Testaverde in Gang Green colors as I have stated before...

Buzz - Marques Tuiasosopo

Posted on Wed, March 7, 2007 - 03:07PM by Gary Grund

...It is believed that Marques Tuiasosopo failed to receive a contract offer from the Jets in his visit yesterday. The Jets are in the market for a 3rd string veteran QB who can push Kellen Clemens to get the backup job and mentor him...

...With Brad Johnson going to the Cowboys, Collins re-signing with the Titans, and Garcia signing with the Bucs, it leaves the Jets will Joey Harrington, Drew Bledsoe, Aaron Brooks, Tim Rattay, and Vinny Testaverde as possible options. Honestly, I would only want to see Tim Rattay or Vinny Testaverde in Gang Green colors as I have stated before...

viiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny-- oh man how nice would it be to let vin kneel down the ball to ice each of our victories against new england next year?

Jets | Bowens leaves empty handed

Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:12:01 -0800

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports unrestricted free-agent DL David Bowens (Dolphins) left a visit with the New York Jets without a contract.

FB Barnes Added to the Backfield

Published: 03-08-07

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/fb-barnes-added-to-the-backfield

The New York Jets announced today the signing of fullback Darian Barnes to a contract. The announcement was made by Jets’ General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Barnes, going into his sixth season in the NFL, played in all 16 games (six starts) for the Miami Dolphins in 2006, recording three receptions for 22 yards.

Barnes originally entered the NFL in 2002 as a rookie free agent with the New York Giants out of Hampton University. He has played in 61 games, while making 22 starts in five seasons as a member of the Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Dallas Cowboys.

The salary cap is a confounding thing to understand at times, and for many reasons. First, it's fluid. It can change, and does change all the time. Attempting to track a team's cap space is difficult at best, and impossible at worst, especially during the free agent signing period. Let's take a look at how the reported cap space for the Jets this year has evolved.

First, there were conflicting reports, all from reliable sources as to where the Jets cap figure was around the beginning of February. Some sources put it at 28 mil, others at 20.8 mil. Why the initial confusion? Some estimates included the cap hit from a little known contract clause, the "Not likely to be earned" bonus in a player's contract. Pennington's 2006 contract was heavilly laiden by this sort of contract clause. Pennington did indeed end up earning those bonuses, but they are not charged against the 2006 cap, they are instead added to the 2007 cap numbers.

This may partially explain why reliable sources had such a large disparity in the cap space estimates. These figures, the "unlikely to be earned" bonuses don't actually get applied to a team's cap space until March 1st. So, do the early cap numbers include these forecasted hits on a team's salary cap? Unfortunatley, the sources estimating the available caps don't say one way or the other. That leaves us fans, myself included, often wondering where our team might stand. No, I am no cap expert by any stretch of the imagination. But I wanted to try to understand it as best a regular 'ol fan might hope to.

Here is what I see as of today, where the Jets are in terms of cap space. I will use the numbers that John Clayton of ESPN used. He had a low estimate of 20.8 mil as opposed to the other higher estimates. Starting from there, the Jets then cut Barlow (2.6 mil) , Blaylock and Hamilton combined (2.0 mil) and Teague (0.72 mil). That brings the cap number up to 26.12 mil.

Poteat was signed for 635,000 which should have been included in Clayton's number, since he was signed on Feb 22. Then, on March 1st, Pennington's incentives would hit the cap, whatever amount that might be. Cotchery was extened on March 1st, but the cap hit of both players has to be guessed at. Then, on March 2nd, Clayton reports the Jets cap number as down to 15.9 mil. That would mean the hits from Pennington and Cotchery were about 10.1 mil combined. That seems a bit high to me. Now, add in the fact that Ramsey was cut on March 2nd as well, for a cap savings of 2.1 mil. Certainly Clayton's number didn't include that savings?

So, my guesstimate as of March 2nd is that the Jets had 18 mil of cap space. Now they sign Thomas Jones reportedly at 12 mil garanteed, 4 years at 20 mil. I'll estimate that 2007 cap hit at 6 mil. Hamilton gets re-signed, and Coleman, the DE from Dallas also gets signed. I can only guess at the cost of those signings as of now, so let's say those two players combined cost 2.5 mil against the 2007 cap. That should still leave the Jets with about 9.5 mil under the 2007 cap.

That is still in the comfort range, but leaves the Jets in a position of obtaining only one more solid FA this year, since they will need some cap space for training camp cuts from other NFL teams.

This is by no means a difinitive, or authoratative report on the Jets salary cap situation, but it should be relatively close to reflecting where the Jets salary cap stands as of today, with at least a 15% fudge factor. The cap is a very strange beast, and hunting it down in the middle of the free gancy signing period is largely a smoke and mirrors effort.... only the Jets know exactly where they stand. The rest of us are left to guess, and this is my guess.

Blaylock was a cap HIT to cut, not a cap savings:

Blaylock received a $3.2M SB before the '05 season. So 1/5 of that comes off the cap each year. He played (lol) 2 seasons, so only $1.28M of that had come off the cap so far; this leaves a cap HIT of $1.92M after he's cut. However he was due a salary of $708,500 which we're not going to pay. So to sum up: his cap hit WOULD have been 1/5 of $3.2M ($640K) + his salary ($708.5K) = $1,348,500. Cutting him means his cap hit is $1.92M instead of $1.3485M. Net is a cap HIT of $571,500. There was no cap savings for cutting Blaylock.

Now it's possible that they used a June 1 thingy on him (I think a team is allowed to cut 1-2 players prior to June 1 now and have the cap hit as though it was after June 1st). In that case, there is some savings this year but a hit next year (you can't just make it go away). In that case (as best I understand), this year's SB pro-ration would hit this year ($640K) and the rest ($1.28M) hits next year. So in this scenario, instead of a cap # of $1.3485M, it's just $640K (net cap savings in '07 of his salary only; $708,500). Then next year there would be $1,280,000 in dead space for Blaylock.

Re: Thomas Jones

Assuming the $12M was all signing bonus, over 4 years that means $3M of it hits the cap each season. His cap # is that amount plus his base salary for the year (likely around $800K; new contracts are backloaded). So his cap hit would be in the neighborhood of $3.8M, not $6M.

Re: Bobby Hamilton

When all the dust was settled, we saved $680K net by getting released & re-signed. His previous salary was $1.5M; his new one is $820K. We didn't give him a signing bonus so there was no penalty for releasing him in the first place.

Re: Coleman

Roughly $6.5M signing bonus on a 5-year deal. Figure around $800K salary for the first year of the contract. That's a $1.3M hit for the SB pro-ration plus his salary. Total cap hit should be approx $2.1M.

Re: Cotchery

$10M SB on a 5-year deal. $2M comes off the cap annually for that plus his salary, which in 2007 is $850K according to the nflpa website. 2007 cap hit is $2.85M.

Net for all these players mentioned above:

$+0.8M Hamilton

$-2.1M Coleman

$-3.8M Jones

$-0.6M Blaylock

$-2.85M Cotchery

Teague and Poteat together net another $-100K (big deal)

--------------

$-8.7M 2007 cap hit

If Clayton was correct and we were at $20.8M before any of these transactions, there should be right around $12M cap space left (prior to signing Barnes or anyone else after March 7th). If they used the June 1st exemption on Blaylock, then we have about another $1.3M, or $13.3M total space (but that $1.3M will hit in 2008).

Blaylock was a cap HIT to cut, not a cap savings:

Blaylock received a $3.2M SB before the '05 season. So 1/5 of that comes off the cap each year. He played (lol) 2 seasons, so only $1.28M of that had come off the cap so far; this leaves a cap HIT of $1.92M after he's cut. However he was due a salary of $708,500 which we're not going to pay. So to sum up: his cap hit WOULD have been 1/5 of $3.2M ($640K) + his salary ($708.5K) = $1,348,500. Cutting him means his cap hit is $1.92M instead of $1.3485M. Net is a cap HIT of $571,500. There was no cap savings for cutting Blaylock.

Now it's possible that they used a June 1 thingy on him (I think a team is allowed to cut 1-2 players prior to June 1 now and have the cap hit as though it was after June 1st). In that case, there is some savings this year but a hit next year (you can't just make it go away). In that case (as best I understand), this year's SB pro-ration would hit this year ($640K) and the rest ($1.28M) hits next year. So in this scenario, instead of a cap # of $1.3485M, it's just $640K (net cap savings in '07 of his salary only; $708,500). Then next year there would be $1,280,000 in dead space for Blaylock.

Re: Thomas Jones

Assuming the $12M was all signing bonus, over 4 years that means $3M of it hits the cap each season. His cap # is that amount plus his base salary for the year (likely around $800K; new contracts are backloaded). So his cap hit would be in the neighborhood of $3.8M, not $6M.

Re: Bobby Hamilton

When all the dust was settled, we saved $680K net by getting released & re-signed. His previous salary was $1.5M; his new one is $820K. We didn't give him a signing bonus so there was no penalty for releasing him in the first place.

Re: Coleman

Roughly $6.5M signing bonus on a 5-year deal. Figure around $800K salary for the first year of the contract. That's a $1.3M hit for the SB pro-ration plus his salary. Total cap hit should be approx $2.1M.

Re: Cotchery

$10M SB on a 5-year deal. $2M comes off the cap annually for that plus his salary, which in 2007 is $850K according to the nflpa website. 2007 cap hit is $2.85M.

Net for all these players mentioned above:

$+0.8M Hamilton

$-2.1M Coleman

$-3.8M Jones

$-0.6M Blaylock

$-2.85M Cotchery

Teague and Poteat together net another $-100K (big deal)

--------------

$-8.7M 2007 cap hit

If Clayton was correct and we were at $20.8M before any of these transactions, there should be right around $12M cap space left (prior to signing Barnes or anyone else after March 7th). If they used the June 1st exemption on Blaylock, then we have about another $1.3M, or $13.3M total space (but that $1.3M will hit in 2008).

This should be in its own thread!!!

enough with this Vinny nonsense..if he wants to help coach fine but why not bring in someone that is actually capable of doing something and put pressure on Clemens to earn the 2 spot

Right.

Vinny is not someone you bring in to training camp. At best you bring him in during the last preseason game or two if it's obvious that the #3 QB is hideous. THEN you can at least rationalize signing Vinny as a coach on the sideline & emergency QB. But Tyson I agree - assuming Chad beats out Clemens again for the #1 job, there is no point in bringing Vinny in to "compete" for the #2 job, and even being a 2nd-round pick shouldn't mean Clemens gets the job by default.

I have one question. Wasn't Bobby Hamilton due a roster bonus? If he was, that would come off the cap also, wouldn't it? $1.5 seems a little high for him, so maybe that was counted in the salary figure.

I'll be honest, I don't know. I don't remember reading about it. But yes, if he was due a roster bonus, that would have all counted against the cap. Then that amount, plus his original salary, came off the cap when we cut him. Only his new salary ($820K) counts against the cap.

But I did forget one thing up top: cutting Patrick Ramsey saved a little over $2M ($1.6 RB, ~$800K salary, -$250K hit from the $500K SB we gave him in the summer).

So add another $2M to the figures I laid out above. We should have in the neighborhood of $14-$15M (depending on the manner in which we cut Blaylock). Also, Martin retiring will save us some more. Hard to truly figure it out since he restructured a couple of times. Figure on the low end $1-2M savings (to knock it all off at once) or around $4M savings (if we take a $2-3M cap hit in '08).

I'll be honest, I don't know. I don't remember reading about it. But yes, if he was due a roster bonus, that would have all counted against the cap. Then that amount, plus his original salary, came off the cap when we cut him. Only his new salary ($820K) counts against the cap.

But I did forget one thing up top: cutting Patrick Ramsey saved a little over $2M ($1.6 RB, ~$800K salary, -$250K hit from the $500K SB we gave him in the summer).

So add another $2M to the figures I laid out above. We should have in the neighborhood of $14-$15M (depending on the manner in which we cut Blaylock). Also, Martin retiring will save us some more. Hard to truly figure it out since he restructured a couple of times. Figure on the low end $1-2M savings (to knock it all off at once) or around $4M savings (if we take a $2-3M cap hit in '08).

I thought that Martin was going to be a cap hit in 2007 and 2008, whether he plays or not. I think this assumption is taking into account that he will ne a June 1st cut/retirement.

Correct?:confused:

I thought that Martin was going to be a cap hit in 2007 and 2008, whether he plays or not. I think this assumption is taking into account that he will ne a June 1st cut/retirement.

Correct?:confused:

He's a cap hit no matter what in 2007. When I said savings, I meant "net" cap hit.

Let's say we take a cap hit of $4M for cutting Martin in 2007. But if he was on the roster, he would have counted $5M. So the answer is "yes" to both questions. We realize cap savings by cutting him, AND there is a cap hit for cutting him. It's just that the cap hit for cutting him is less than the cap hit for keeping him.

Regarding 2007 and 2008, this is the way it works (as best I understand):

Say player-X was originally given the following contract: 5 years, $10M, $5M signing bonus (and assume for this example that the annual salary is $1M/yr with no roster bonuses).

So every year his cap number is exactly $2M: $1M salary + $1M pro-rated SB amt

Now let's say we want to cut him after 2 years. $2M of his SB has come off the cap & $3M still needs to come off. However, we do NOT pay his salary for any of the last 3 years. Only thing that comes off the cap is money that the player has received.

So there are two ways to cut this player in 2007:

(1) Cut him before June 1st: The $3M leftover SB amt all accelerates to this year. He would have counted $2M if we kept him. So cutting this player in this fashion actually costs more than keeping him.

(2) Cut him after June 1st: only the signing bonus amount that would have ordinarily come off the cap (if kept) would count for the current year. So he counts $1M in 2007 (a "net" savings of $1M). However, the other $2M still needs to come off the cap. So the rest of it hits the following year.

Once a player has cashed a signing/roster/workout bonus check, the only way to eliminate any of it from the team's salary cap is in the rare instance of the player writing a check himself & returning money to the team.

So back to Martin. Let's say for argument's sake there's exactly $5.1M that needs to come off the cap for his signing bonuses from 2007 until the end of his contract (2009), so $1.7M would come off each of the next 3 years if we kept him. And his salary for the 2007 season is scheduled to be $3.2M.

Keep him for 2007: Salary ($3.2M) + SB pro-ration ($1.7M) = $4.9M

Cut him before June 1st: all of the remaining SB amount ($5.1M) accelerates to this year. No salary counts against the cap; just the SB amt. So add $5.1M to the cap for the bonus-only amt, but subtract $4.9M for the salary plus partial bonus amt. Net hit would be an additional $200K. (My #'s are a little off here I think; we should realize some net cap savings in 2007 regardless of when we cut him).

Cut him after June 1st: the $1.7M that would have hit the cap would still hit. We save the amount of his salary ($3.2M) on the 2007 cap. However, the remaining $3.4M SB amt ($5.1M minus $1.7M) would hit in 2008 (dead cap space).

If you can follow all of this, then you are a huge nerd.

Tell the guy that 10.1M for Pennington/Cotchery is not high. Pennington took a 6M paycut... and they promised to give him incentives to get it all back. I'd assume he did. Now, in terms of Cotchery, it was known to be a front loaded deal... Hence 4-5 M this year.

Also, Poteat did not count in Clayton's #. Clayton's #s were from 2/9/07, and as the article says, Poteat signed on the 22nd.

Tell the guy that 10.1M for Pennington/Cotchery is not high. Pennington took a 6M paycut... and they promised to give him incentives to get it all back. I'd assume he did. Now, in terms of Cotchery, it was known to be a front loaded deal... Hence 4-5 M this year.

Also, Poteat did not count in Clayton's #. Clayton's #s were from 2/9/07, and as the article says, Poteat signed on the 22nd.

Cotchery's contract is kind of front-loaded, but it's in year 2 not year 1. According to the NFLPA's website, his salary is $820K this year and $4.6M next year.

I did make a mistake on his SB, which is $7.165M, not $10M. His cap # should be $2.253M this year & $6.04M next year.

Cotchery's contract is kind of front-loaded, but it's in year 2 not year 1. According to the NFLPA's website, his salary is $820K this year and $4.6M next year.

I did make a mistake on his SB, which is $7.165M, not $10M. His cap # should be $2.253M this year & $6.04M next year.

I bet they went to his agent and said they want to extend him but considering how cheap he was going to be this year they would wait it out one more year. THen they offered to give him a SB and a low salary this year to reflect more like his original contract and the big dollars next season when he would have gotten them anyways.

I bet they went to his agent and said they want to extend him but considering how cheap he was going to be this year they would wait it out one more year. THen they offered to give him a SB and a low salary this year to reflect more like his original contract and the big dollars next season when he would have gotten them anyways.

2008 is the only year of the contract where his salary exceeds $2.0M:

2007 $820K

2008 $4.6M

2009 $1.8M

2010 $1.8M

2011 $1.8M

2012 $2.0M - don't know what this is; maybe an option year. I thought it was only a 5-yr deal.

If we're up against the cap (unlikely) and Cotchery is still looking like the goods, we can wrap up most of that in a new SB and spread it out evenly over the remaining 4 years. If we can absorb it without causing the loss (or non-acquisition) of another player, I think they'll just keep it as-is for '08.

Actually, you do not know that. He may have received a roster bonus immediately when he signed.

2008 is the only year of the contract where his salary exceeds $2.0M:

2007 $820K

2008 $4.6M

2009 $1.8M

2010 $1.8M

2011 $1.8M

2012 $2.0M - don't know what this is; maybe an option year. I thought it was only a 5-yr deal.

If we're up against the cap (unlikely) and Cotchery is still looking like the goods, we can wrap up most of that in a new SB and spread it out evenly over the remaining 4 years. If we can absorb it without causing the loss (or non-acquisition) of another player, I think they'll just keep it as-is for '08.

May have been a 5 yr EXTENSION, giving him 6 yrs to go (the 1 remaining and this one). That would imply a nice signing bonus AND roster bonus was paid this year.

I'm pretty sure I read that he received a $7M signing bonus, not "$7M guaranteed" or "$7M in bonuses."

Question: if he received a 5 year extension (on top of the 1 year he had remaining), would the SB be spread over the 5 years of the extension or the 6 years he has until that extension runs out?

I'm pretty sure I read that he received a $7M signing bonus, not "$7M guaranteed" or "$7M in bonuses."

Question: if he received a 5 year extension (on top of the 1 year he had remaining), would the SB be spread over the 5 years of the extension or the 6 years he has until that extension runs out?

Depends on the wording.. could be either way.... most likely it starts counting now.

Archived