Cheer up, gentlemen.

RichardSeymour

The Yankees, by my math, are on pace for a 61-101 record.

They are fielding a 246.80 million dollar team after lux tax and benefits.

They are on pace to spend 4 million per win.

This means David Ortiz (6.25 million) is being paid 1.5 Yankee wins.

This means Tim Wakefield (4 million) is being paid 1 Yankee win.

If the Red Sox were getting similar "efficiency" they would be on pace for a 36-126 season.

The topic of this thread isn't "fun with facts" though, it's "cheer up".

and while I take a great deal of relish in the Yankees struggles and I absolutely believe they are a flawed team that is entering the "Rangers" phase of gluttony, they aren't this bad.

By Pythagorean W-L, here are what the AL East records "should" be.

17-11 Boston

16-11 Baltimore

15-14 Toronto

13-16 New York

11-18 Tampa Bay

Now remember, I was mentioning Pythagorean last year when I suggested the Yankees huge division lead was not indicative of the quality of the two teams, and that in fact the Red Sox "should" have been neck and neck with the Yankees. The Pyth indicated that the Yankees had won more close games than they should have, and the Sox had lost more than they should have.

Now it's your turn to take some solace. The Yankees "should" be 4.5 games out of first place, not 8 games.

That doesn't change the fact that you ARE 8 games behind the leader, but it does suggest that your team isn't THIS bad.

The Yankees have scored 149 runs, and allowed 167.

The As, who you play tonight, have scored 102 and allowed 128.

They are 13-15, you are 11-18---- but there is ample reason to think THEY are the worse team.

There are other anomalies too.

Randy Johnson's ERA is an "OK" 3.74---- but his WHIP is 0.99 and his BAA is .213. There's reason to think he's been "unlucky" so far and is underperforming.... unless it's that cr**tastic Yanks defense and all the Yanks pitchers BABIP's are through the roof, I dunno.

Uh, Matsui will hit better than this.

Other than that.... I dunno. Pavano and Mussina and Wright have been hit hard, but they seem to have "deserved it". Maybe they turn it around, maybe they don't. The bottom of your order sucks wind. Your defense is a joke.

OK, I guess my point is yes, the Yankees are a bad team as currently constituted. They just ain't quite as bad as their record is so far.

They're on pace for 61-101.

They SHOULD be on pace for 73-89.

So uh, take heart.

Uh okay. I think. :shock:

Don't really know what all how greek mythology got into a baseball discussion but if you say take heart then I will.

Pythagorean W-L is a projected record based on runs scored, runs allowed, and the pythagorean theorem.

Pyth records are better predictors of future performance than actual records. To some degree a team that is worse than it's pyth record has probably been catching "bad breaks" (losing close games) and vice versa.

Pythagorean W-L is a projected record based on runs scored, runs allowed, and the pythagorean theorem.

Pyth records are better predictors of future performance than actual records. To some degree a team that is worse than it's pyth record has probably been catching "bad breaks" (losing close games) and vice versa.

Another great stat. They should actually just use this instead of won - loss record.

The Red Sox won 88 games. But the Should Have won 94 games. Let's give the division to them.

the logic of the PT is flawed, RS...

you dont factor in the "intagibles" of Derek "Captain Overrated" Jeter as the undisputed leader of this team.

with leadership like this...who needs clubhouse cancers???

If the season ended today Boston would not be in the playoffs. Just wanted to point that out.

Think thats a clever one Max?

Need I remind you that Boston played pretty much .500 baseball 'til July last year???

...and we all know what happened after that.

Heres what you'll do if youre smart, and we all know youre reasonably intelligent:

Do not speak, think, or even hint about anything Red Sox! Youre in no position (AL East cellar) to criticize anyone at this point.

This is 1965 all over again and we both know it...JUST WANTED TO POINT THAT OUT!!!!!!

Need I remind you that Boston played pretty much .500 baseball 'til July last year???

Oh History is our guide for the Red Sox but not the Yankees. The Yankees have been GREAT, not good for a LONG time. But we can only apply history to the Sox. I see how it works.

Do not speak, think, or even hint about anything Red Sox! Youre in no position (AL East cellar) to criticize anyone at this point.

Show we which Red Sox fan was quiet during the 80+ year dry spell.

This is 1965 all over again and we both know it...JUST WANTED TO POINT THAT OUT!!!!!!

1965. Great example. Boston didn't win that year either.

Oh OK, so it all comes down to "Boston sucks too so its OK if the Yankees suck"

How many times have I said: "I root for the Red Sox and whomever is playing NYY" only to be called a "pathetic loser" by the likes of JN's resident Yankee lovers! Now Yankee fans are reduced to hoping the Red Sox fail? If Boston fails to repeat the W/S win of 2004, this season will be a success for the $kankees and their deplorable fan base? I find that hard to believe!

Funny thing about karma, isnt it...turn about is fair play???

As a Yankees fan, and many may not think so after this, but I hope this streak of losing continues. George needs to learn that it isn't buying players that helps you win a championship. It's raising up and helping along your minor league prospects and signing little name producers that are also very good examples for the club house. The Yankees don't need a 40 home run, 150 rbi guy. When they were winning their championships their best batter was Paul O'Neill, comeon George, THINK!

Oh OK, so it all comes down to "Boston sucks too so its OK if the Yankees suck"

Whoever said that? Yankee fans get killed for being greedy. We are greedy because history tells us we can be.

My point is that Boston has problems as well. You say that Boston will fix them because they did last year. Meanwhile the Yankees have always won and we can't use history as a guide for them. Pretty selective on your part.

How many times have I said: "I root for the Red Sox and whomever is playing NYY" only to be called a "pathetic loser" by the likes of JN's resident Yankee lovers! Now Yankee fans are reduced to hoping the Red Sox fail? If Boston fails to repeat the W/S win of 2004, this season will be a success for the $kankees and their deplorable fan base? I find that hard to believe!

Funny thing about karma, isnt it...turn about is fair play???

Boston won't win it all for another 85 years. So Yankee fans couldn't care less about them.

• 3 weeks later...
As a Yankees fan, and many may not think so after this, but I hope this streak of losing continues. George needs to learn that it isn't buying players that helps you win a championship. It's raising up and helping along your minor league prospects and signing little name producers that are also very good examples for the club house. The Yankees don't need a 40 home run, 150 rbi guy. When they were winning their championships their best batter was Paul O'Neill, comeon George, THINK!

Shame on you son.

Archived