THE NEW MEADOWLANDS STADIUM: The latest News - 03/30/07

BaumerJet

starledger.gif

Extreme makeover: Meadowlands edition

Friday, March 30, 2007

BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN

Star-Ledger Staff

Say goodbye to drab concrete and hello to shining aluminum and glass.

After more than a year of debate, the Giants and Jets are closing in on a final design of their $1.2 billion stadium at the Meadowlands Sports Complex. Earlier this month, the teams revealed the essence of the building they will construct, as well as the new Giants practice facility, in a preliminary planning document they submitted to the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.

While there is still time to make aesthetic changes before -- and even for some time after -- the planned groundbreaking in June, the plans for the yet-to-be-named stadium provide the first glimpses of a building the teams expect to become the signature venue for the National Football League. It will open in 2010.

As the documents reveal, there is a little something for everyone here: tailgate zones, lined football fields in the parking lot for pickup games, field-level suites for the team owners, multiple stadium clubs and a plaza area that connects a new rail station to the stadium. For two teams that have been rivals for years, on and off the field, the near-final plans for the stadium are a significant development.

"The cooperation between the teams has been very impressive," said Carl Goldberg, chairman of the sports authority, which operates the complex. "They seem to be of the same mind-set."

The stadium:

The skin: Current plans call for it to be wrapped with horizontal metal louvers -- think silver aluminum siding turned sideways -- that designers say will have a lightening effect on the massive building.

The lights: Colored lighting will be installed within the metal louvers and can make the building glow red and blue for the Giants, green and white for the Jets, or scarlet red if Rutgers ever wants to play there.

The zones: The plaza area surrounding the stadium will be divided into several zones, where fans can take part in activities. They include a tailgate zone, a fantasy football zone and one zone called "Fields in a Forest," described as several football fields lined on concrete and separated by trees where fans can play pickup football before games.

The seats: Three tiers hold 76,767 general and club seats.

The suites: More than 200 that account for 4,971 seats, located on four levels -- 25 are on field level, including the team owners' suites, 67 are on the first concourse level, 78 are on the next level and 57 are a level above that.

The premium seats: The 9,222 premium seats are near the stadium club areas that will provide exclusive indoor eating and drinking opportunities for club seat holders

The displaced: Exact club seat locations are not finalized, however plans call for 2,000 club seats on the east side of the stadium's lower level and connecting to the "40-40 Club." In situations when other stadiums have been replaced, fans who had owned seats in areas that in the new stadium became premium seating were given the chance to upgrade to a more expensive seat or move to another, general seating area of the building.

Soccer-ready: The field is designed to meet international soccer standards. This one does. The soccer field dimensions are 105 meters by 68 meters, with extra room in the corners for corner kicks.

Playing surface: It's FieldTurf, just like Giants Stadium has.

The training facility: It's traditional red brick (what else would you expect from the Giants?), with four outdoor fields and one full-sized field under a bubble.

© 2007 The Star Ledger© 2007 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

And a 5-story, white brick facility with 4 outdoor fields, one full-sized field under a bubble & enough security to aid the President of the United States in Florham Park for the New York Jets!

Wait I havent been following too closely so excuse me if this isnt "new" news... but will I be able to take the train to games?? That would be awesome becuase I am from CT... IF I could hop the Brewster train down to a game or something... that would be real nice.

Looks like my fear is going to become reality...

Goodbye 50yd line seats... Hello crappier seats with a nice PSL attached to it...

Plus, tailgate "zones"??? The "zone's" had better be every open air parking spot. And screw the "football fields" Just give us more parking you can gouge us for. And I'm sure the lighting will be in good working order, like the speakers and TV currently above my seats...

There is only 1 activity I want to do before a football game: TAILGATE. Screw everything else.

And why arent they increasing capacity of the stadium??? You could make it 100,000 and still sell out. Guess 100,000 would look mighty empty when one team starts sucking ass again...

Wait I havent been following too closely so excuse me if this isnt "new" news... but will I be able to take the train to games?? That would be awesome becuase I am from CT... IF I could hop the Brewster train down to a game or something... that would be real nice.

It will be on the Pascack Valley line, the only stops in ny are spring valley, nanuet and pearl river...

It will be on the Pascack Valley line, the only stops in ny are spring valley, nanuet and pearl river...

I guess I could just keep driving.... hopefully the train and new parking makes it easier to get out of there though...

I guess I could just keep driving.... hopefully the train and new parking makes it easier to get out of there though...

Hopefully the luxury box and premium seat holders will leave earlier to make it easier on the real fans...

From what I read earlier in the process, they are going to redesign the NJ Tpke heading north to add a lane or 2.. that will help a lot since most of the backup occurs because you have 5 lanes merging into 2 lanes....

What about the other lines in jersey, Bergen line, Coast Line, Montclair? Yeah id rather be a lazy ass and not drive.

You'd probably have to hook up in Newark... As for the Bergen Line, if you're gonna take that you might as well drive to a town on the PV line... they're like parallel to each other

Hopefully the luxury box and premium seat holders will leave earlier to make it easier on the real fans...

From what I read earlier in the process, they are going to redesign the NJ Tpke heading north to add a lane or 2.. that will help a lot since most of the backup occurs because you have 5 lanes merging into 2 lanes....

I started going out the back way... it is longer but so much shorter for me... only problem is the chaos of cars...

I started going out the back way... it is longer but so much shorter for me... only problem is the chaos of cars...

I alternate between Rt 17 and NJ Tpke... I park by the Arena so its the same traffic I sit in until the road splits... all depends how bad the traffic is on Patterson Plank Rd... luckily I learned a little shortcut by Teteroboro airport to save me some time.... but its still a bitch.

I alternate between Rt 17 and NJ Tpke... I park by the Arena so its the same traffic I sit in until the road splits... all depends how bad the traffic is on Patterson Plank Rd... luckily I learned a little shortcut by Teteroboro airport to save me some time.... but its still a bitch.

You need to turn into complete as s hole mode to be able to get anywhere after a game... it makes driving even on the worst road in CT seem like a parking lot...

You need to turn into complete as s hole mode to be able to get anywhere after a game... it makes driving even on the worst road in CT seem like a parking lot...

Yep... nothing I enjoy more than after celebrating a Jets victory with my fellow fans, we turn into each others worst enemies trying to get that little piece of roadway for ourselves.... and if we lose forget about it...

Yep... nothing I enjoy more than after celebrating a Jets victory with my fellow fans, we turn into each others worst enemies trying to get that little piece of roadway for ourselves.... and if we lose forget about it...

:rl::rl:

After the Pats loss it was a nighmare... holy sh*t I thought I was going to get out and punch someone!

And it will end it's line connection at the Secaucus terminal, where it will attach to the Morris/Essex line directly into Penn Station NY!

That makes the stadium accessable to Manhattan, LI & Upstate NY as well as South & Western New Jersey!

I do not understand why fans rush to try to get out of the parking lot immediately....sit back relax light the grill back up wait 45 minutes and drive out with ease

And while your at it, grab all the garbage within a 100 yard radius and start a nice "little" fire.

Archived