Do not use the Eagle's payroll service

faba

My question in this whole thing is why did they file a grievance against him? Is there some sort of issue between them that caused this to go public... I doubt the Eagles would want the public to know they are retarded when it comes to handling money.

They might have filed the grievance as a legal issue.

They probably feel its better to look like jerks than lose 3 million.

But I still think Westbrook doesn't have the money and has to scramble to

accumulate it again so he can give it back.

I think he doesn't have the money anymore. These guys with salaries in the

stratosphere use money to make money. They are not like the average guy

who may put a couple of bucks in the bank and wait till the end of the month

to see what the interest is.

They have people who invest their money for them. Now its entirely possible that

his financial advisor got the money didn't realize the mistake and said to Westy

that there were a couple of auto dealerships that he could buy at a good price

and was told to go ahead.

The problem could have arose when the Eagles told him they overpaid and now

he's not liquid. Doesn't have 3 million in the bank gathering dust. He's trying

to get it back someway and that's probably what the holdup is.

I could be all wrong just giving a scenario.

You are 100% correct.

They have the same style, but Westbrook is ridiculously better than Washington.

They are both the same size. As rookies Washington's stats blow Westbrook's away. I wouldn't say it is a "rediculous" comparison. I actually think it is perfect.

They are both the same size. As rookies Washington's stats blow Westbrook's away. I wouldn't say it is a "rediculous" comparison. I actually think it is perfect.

Yeah, but you also referred to Thomas Jones as the next Priest Holmes.

Man, with Priest Holmes and Brian Westbrook in the same backfield, they should run for like 3,000 ****ing yards as a team next year.

Yeah, but you also referred to Thomas Jones as the next Priest Holmes.

Man, with Priest Holmes and Brian Westbrook in the same backfield, they should run for like 3,000 ****ing yards as a team next year.

It wasn't just me that compared Thomas Jones skills to that of Priest Holmes. Former OC Terry Shea brought in Thomas Jones to be his version of Priest Holmes. Shea was the QB coach for KC prior to joinging chicago and installed a similar offense in Chicago. Shea saw Jones as a punishing runner with great receiving skills who's talent lines up well with Holmes. Ofcourse Shea was fired after just one season but Jones is comparable to Holmes in running style. But being the fantasy guru you are I'm sure you knew that already.:rolleyes:

It wasn't just me that compared Thomas Jones skills to that of Priest Holmes. Former OC Terry Shea brought in Thomas Jones to be his version of Priest Holmes. Shea was the QB coach for KC prior to joinging chicago and installed a similar offense in Chicago. Shea saw Jones as a punishing runner with great receiving skills who's talent lines up well with Holmes. Ofcourse Shea was fired after just one season but Jones is comparable to Holmes in running style. But being the fantasy guru you are I'm sure you knew that already.:rolleyes:

No need to insult me. I just feel that you are massively over-rating our running backs.

The Leon/Westbrook comparison is a much more valid one than Jones/Holmes, however.

Yes! Whining bitch! 3 ML dollars is a lot of moolah! right?

WTF does the amount of money have to do with you accusing him of being a whining bitch? He didn't say anything. He's not even quoted in the article except with a general statement that Westbrook intends to give back the money. They only filed the grievance because the NFL forced them to avoid being accused of paying money under the table.

If you think he should know right away that he got an extra $3M, shouldn't the Eagles know right away that they overpaid him? I mean they have accountants and their bank account has to balance, correct? I'm sure Westbrook just found out about this and I wouldn't write anyody a check for $3M without being damned sure it's owed. Why do you insist on blaming the player for managment's **** up?

WTF does the amount of money have to do with you accusing him of being a whining bitch? He didn't say anything. He's not even quoted in the article except with a general statement that Westbrook intends to give back the money. They only filed the grievance because the NFL forced them to avoid being accused of paying money under the table.

If you think he should know right away that he got an extra $3M, shouldn't the Eagles know right away that they overpaid him? I mean they have accountants and their bank account has to balance, correct? I'm sure Westbrook just found out about this and I wouldn't write anyody a check for $3M without being damned sure it's owed. Why do you insist on blaming the player for managment's **** up?

Yes..it's managements **** up..quite a huge one at that,a 3 million dollar **** up...but the reason why he's a whining bitch is that he obviously knew he was underpaid last year and made a public outcry about it. So you're telling me that he only knows when he's underpaid? not overpaid? He can't have it both ways,the money should be paid back immediately without delay.

Yes..it's managements **** up..quite a huge one at that,a 3 million dollar **** up...but the reason why he's a whining bitch is that he obviously knew he was underpaid last year and made a public outcry about it. So you're telling me that he only knows when he's underpaid? not overpaid? He can't have it both ways,the money should be paid back immediately without delay.

Westbrook was "whining" like damn near every other player getting screwed by the system. See John Abraham, Asante Samuel, Deion Branch, Lance Briggs, Nate Clements and the list goes on and on.

http://galleyslaves.blogspot.com/2005/08/economics-and-nfl.html

A fantastic and illuminating column by Phil Sheridan on the plight of Brian Westbrook and how circumstance and NFL economics can combine to cheat a player:

Westbrook really has been shortchanged by the NFL's system. Because he was a third-round pick, he didn't get a big signing bonus in his
rookie contract
. Because he played for the minimum salaries in his first three years, he truly "outperformed" his contract, to borrow a phrase from Drew Rosenhaus. And because the Eagles still have the right to slap a franchise tag on him next winter, Westbrook may not get to unrestricted free agency until 2007 or even 2008.

You can see why the man is frustrated. He could go his entire career without getting the big guaranteed bonus that establishes his financial security. And it's all because of where he was drafted and the position he plays.

Consider his fellow members of the Eagles' 2002 draft class. Lito Sheppard was a first-round pick, so he got nearly $4 million in his rookie year, even though he barely played behind Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor. Last year, Sheppard signed an extension that featured an $8.7 million signing bonus and $15.1 million in salary through 2011.

So Sheppard has already banked nearly $12 million. For a first-round cornerback, life is sweet.

Second-round pick Sheldon Brown got paid $2.25 million from his
rookie contract
before getting a $7.5 million signing bonus on an extension last year. That means he has banked roughly $10 million.

Westbrook, taken one round later, has made a total of about $1.3 million in bonus and salary. He is scheduled to make $1.43 million on his restricted free agent tender this season.

That sounds like a lot of money to the average person, and it is. But for a guy who has been the second-most important offensive player on a championship-caliber team, behind only the quarterback, it's a pittance.

The money should be paid back promptly, but when you get a check for $3M, you don't pay it back immediately. At a minimum, it's not paid back until the money clears because otherwise, if he "pays the Eagles back" and they stopped payment or the check doesn't clear he is out $3M on their mistake. The Eagles are not complaining about the timing so why are you? Are you some kind of self-appointed representative of "the Man?" The Eagles only filed the grievance because they were compelled to by the league.

Westbrook was "whining" like damn near every other player getting screwed by the system. See John Abraham, Asante Samuel, Deion Branch, Lance Briggs, Nate Clements and the list goes on and on.

So what? does that make it right?

If they sign a contract they should honor it.

The money should be paid back promptly, but when you get a check for $3M, you don't pay it back immediately. At a minimum, it's not paid back until the money clears because otherwise, if he "pays the Eagles back" and they stopped payment or the check doesn't clear he is out $3M on their mistake.

Why would the Eagles file a grievance if there was no issue?standard protocol?

And it isn't the Eagles problem if the dude can't balance his multi million dollar check book to pay them THEIR MONEY back.

The Eagles are not complaining about the timing so why are you? Are you some kind of self-appointed representative of "the Man?" The Eagles only filed the grievance because they were compelled to by the league.

Why did they go public with this if they aren't complaining?

I can have an opinion on anything I like without getting approval from you..it's my opinion,sorry Mr.TheDominator,Sir. :lol:

So what? does that make it right?

If they sign a contract they should honor it.

You must be confusing the NFL with a free market system. If it were I might agree with you. This man was forced to sign a rookie contact, with a specific team, with almost no bonus and a forced term. Afterwards he was forced to be tendered for another season at a salary considerably below his market value. Then he runs the chance of being franchised. If he could go out to any team and take the highest offer, fine, but that's not the case. Would you "whine" if you were forced to sign a contract for a specific amount, with a specific company or be unable to work while inferior quality workers are getting more money? Add to that the fact that the average career at your position doesn't last the length of your rookie deal. I bet you'd be bawling like a baby. I know I would. It's the only way to get more money. The guy gets hurt and he's done.

The whole system, including guaranteed contracts is designed to protect the owners. A salary cap? To protect the owners from their own stupidity. Now they are taking away the players' last bastion of freedom, their God given right to drive drunk and get arrested with impunity. :)

Why would the Eagles file a grievance if there was no issue?standard protocol?

And it isn't the Eagles problem if the dude can't balance his multi million dollar check book to pay them THEIR MONEY back.

Why did they go public with this if they aren't complaining?

I posted the reason a few pages ago.

had the Eagles not come forward, the league could have suspected that they were paying Westbrook under the table and penalized them by counting the overpayment against this year

Archived