Spider-Man 3 record one day take

faba

Spider-Man 3' Nets Record $59M in 1 Day

By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer

document.write(getElapsed("20070505T171804Z"));36 minutes agoUPDATED 21 MINUTES AGO

LOS ANGELES - Hollywood's biggest superhero now has the biggest box-office debut.

"Spider-Man 3" took in a record $59 million domestically on opening day Friday, breaking the previous all-time high of $55.8 million for "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" in its first day last summer.

Sony Pictures, the studio behind the "Spider-Man" franchise, also reported Saturday that the movie took in an additional $45 million overseas on Friday for a worldwide total of $104 million, a record for single-day grosses globally.

Sony spokesman Steve Elzer said executives at the studio declined to comment until estimates for the full weekend are available Sunday morning.

By then, the "Spider-Man" franchise could reclaim the record for best three-day opening ever. The first "Spider-Man" pulled in $114.8 million domestically in its debut weekend in 2002, a record that stood until "Dead Man's Chest" shattered it with $135.6 million last July.

In a news release, Sony said it expects "Spider-Man 3" will come in around the $135 million to $145 million range for its first weekend.

"That's why they call him the amazing Spider-Man," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers. "Just five years ago, these are numbers we thought we'd never see."

"Spider-Man 3" opened to record numbers in some countries as early as Tuesday and expanded to other locations over the next few days. Elzer said figures for the film's total worldwide haul since Tuesday would not be released until Sunday.

The film, which cost $258 million to make, already had a record going into the weekend. It opened in 4,252 theaters domestically, topping the previous record of 4,163 set by "Shrek 2" in 2004.

"It certainly doesn't hurt to have that much shelf space devoted to `Spider-Man,'" Dergarabedian said.

"Spider-Man 3" stars Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker, who becomes the web-slinging superhero after a bite from a mutant spider endows him with special powers. The new film reunites Maguire with director Sam Raimi and co-stars Kirsten Dunst as Peter's girlfriend Mary Jane and James Franco as his old friend Harry, now a sworn enemy who blames Spidey for his father's death.

Along with two new villains (Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace), Spider-Man battles inner demons after an alien entity turns his red-and-blue suit black and he's tempted to use his powers for evil.

var rand = ""+Math.random()+(new Date()).getTime();var article_name=escape(getArticleTitle());var document_url=escape(document.URL); function getArticleTitle() { var metas; if (document.all) { metas = document.all.tags("meta"); } else if (document.documentElement) { metas = document.getElementsByTagName("meta"); } if (typeof(metas) != "undefined") { for (var i = 0 ; i < metas.length ; i++) { myMeta = metas.item(i); if (myMeta.name.toLowerCase() == "title") { return trim(myMeta.content); } } } return ""; }

1 & 2 were fantastic....3 is going to be just as good.

I went and saw it last night with 3 friends....we got to the theather 15 minutes early the first time, it was sold out...so we bought tickets for the 830 showing, went in at 8 and there were no seats outside of the front row. But as for the movie, it was great...its nice to watch a 2 1/2 hour movie that doesn't get dull, especially when most movies seem to top out around an hour 15. I loved it with the exception of the lack of closure at the end, but lets be honest, they are already looking at making a 4th, which i can already assume what it'll be about.

I saw it last night...thought it was a very good movie. Alot of action since you have 3 villains. Some of the fight scenes were fast-moving and I couldn't see everything but all in all it was alot of fun and I think Tobey did his best as Spidey in this one.

I saw it last night...thought it was a very good movie. Alot of action since you have 3 villains. Some of the fight scenes were fast-moving and I couldn't see everything but all in all it was alot of fun and I think Tobey did his best as Spidey in this one.

Are you pissed that it made more than Superman did in its entirety, in the first weekend? lol.

"wrong" is a quote from superman, the only scene in the movie that was worthwhile.

hahahaha!!!

I obviously didn't see the movie! I thought you were defending Superman somehow! My bad.

Besides this whole thing is silly. We all know Aqua Man is the baddest mofo around. Once the impact of global warming kicks in he will finally get his recognition.

hahahaha!!!

I obviously didn't see the movie! I thought you were defending Superman somehow! My bad.

Besides this whole thing is silly. We all know Aqua Man is the baddest mofo around. Once the impact of global warming kicks in he will finally get his recognition.

HAHAHA potw.

hahahaha!!!

I think Vince Chase would be a damn good Aqua Man. :P

I saw it thursday night. Didn't really know what to make of it. Had some great action scenes and some parts were good, but the writing was terrible and some of it was downright cheesy. A tad too long too. Not garbage, but definitely not as good as Spiderman or Spiderman 2. I think 2 was the best of the series. Maguire is a terrible actor. Watching him attempt to cry was hilarious.

Venom was cool as hell though.

Can you really compare how much money a movie makes today vs. previous years???

The price of the movies go up every year, so of course a blockbuster will break records.

How about some real info, like how many tickets are sold. But they dont want to discuss that, since attendance has been declining for years.

Going to the movies sucks. Too many a-holes ruining my good time. And the screen sucks. And the popcorn is stale.

Archived