AFC East: Work to do

NY Jets Guy

From ESPN.com...

AFC East: Work to do

buf.gifBuffalo Bills

Work to do: The bad news is Marshawn Lynch was a reach at No. 12 overall. The good news is the Bills did address their gaping hole at running back by selecting Lynch and Dwayne Wright in the third round. In addition, the Bills filled their linebacker need with Paul Posluszny, a second-round pick with first-round talent, and took advantage of a tremendous value with the selection of QB Trent Edwards in the third round.

The Bills failed to find upgrades at cornerback and tight end, two of their top four positions of need heading into the draft. Ashton Youboty appeared in just three games last season, so the team is taking a sizable leap of faith by hoping he is ready to replace Nate Clements (49ers) as the starter opposite Terrence McGee. The Bills will have to live for another season without an impact player at tight end, after failing to select one before the seventh round (Derek Schouman). Robert Royal is a solid blocker and decent underneath target in the passing game, but he finished fifth on the team last year with 23 catches, averaging only 10.1 yards per catch.

mia.gifMiami Dolphins

Work to do: Only time will tell whether Ted Ginn Jr. can provide enough value in the return game and as a No. 2 receiver to justify the ninth pick in the draft. While Dolphins fans were less than thrilled at the time, their team did a nice job of addressing areas of weakness throughout the first four rounds. In addition to Ginn, the team was able to bring in a potential future starting quarterback in John Beck, a versatile interior offensive lineman in Samson Satele, a third-down back in Lorenzo Booker and depth at nose tackle with Paul Soliai.

Unfortunately, the team has so many personnel issues, it still overlooked needs at offensive tackle, cornerback and tight end. Barring any unforeseen signings, the Dolphins are stuck with Vernon Carey and Anthony Alabi as their starters at offensive tackle. Furthermore, opposing quarterbacks will target Andre' Goodman at right cornerback, and David Martin is a sizable downgrade from Randy McMichael (Rams) at tight end.

nwe.gifNew England Patriots

Work to do: The Patriots were five points away from making their fourth Super Bowl appearance in six years. In the three months since, the team has added WRs Randy Moss, Donte' Stallworth, Wes Welker and Kelley Washington, as well as RB Sammy Morris, TE Kyle Brady, OLB Adalius Thomas and DS Brandon Meriweather (first-round pick) to the mix. It's safe to say Bill Belichick will be coaching the most talented roster of his tenure with the Patriots.

If anything, New England lacks ideal depth at inside linebacker and disgruntled CB Asante Samuel provides cause for concern at his position. A Samuel holdout and an injury to ILB Tedy Bruschi and/or Mike Vrabel are the only personnel questions the team faces heading into the 2007 season.

nyj.gifNew York Jets

Work to do: The Jets essentially mortgaged their 2007 draft for the first- and second-round selections of DC/RS Darrelle Revis and ILB David Harris, respectively. The good news is Revis should start immediately at right cornerback (opposite Andre Dyson), and it shouldn't take long for Harris to beat out another former Wolverine, Victor Hobson, for the starting inside linebacker spot next to Jonathan Vilma.

While Revis and Harris should prove to be worth the price, the moves did leave the Jets with some unanswered questions at outside linebacker, tight end and wide receiver. David Bowens and Eric Barton will compete for the right outside linebacker spot opposite Bryan Thomas, but neither would be a great starter. TE Chris Baker played as well as could be expected last season, but still averaged only 9.7 yards per catch on 31 receptions. While the team has two solid starters in WRs Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery, the depth is less than ideal. Justin McCareins has been a disappointment and injuries have plagued Tim Dwight.

The type of defense the Jets operate does not predicate individual players at individual positions in regards to LB/DEs. The Jets are doing exactly what they need to do; stockpiling LBs and transition DEs. Inside, outside, USA, let's go on a surfin' safari; it does not matter what these players have been labeled in the past, nor does it matter whom is dubbed the starting group, as the rotation frequency will be higher in each year of this defensive regime's tenure. David Harris will likely play most of his snaps in the middle, but Vilma certainly has the speed to go outside at times, just as Brian Thomas is capable of playing at OLB and DE. Granted, the Jets do not have an A. Thomas who can play every defensive position, but they do have several guys with decent versatility (i.e. Hobson, Barton, and now Bowens IMO) who can provide numerous confusing looks for offensive coordinators and QBs alike.

Actually I always tho Hobson was inside between BT and Vilma but there is obviously a lot of cunfusion here as some believe Hobson outside and Barton inside.

Hobson use to be outside in 4-3 but in 3-4 he always seemed to be inside to me but I could be way off and since they are always moving around and disguising its hard to tell.

I chalk it all up to another good job by Mangini and staff becuase it just makes them that much harder for offenses to prepare.

The move to the inside by Hobson has not been made yet. As long as Eric Barton is on this team he will most likely again be a ILB in the 34 along with Vilma so Harris would be beating out Barton, not Hobson. Hobson would be going against Bowens and Wadsworth for the 34 starting OLB role, although Wadsworth will probably only be a 15-20 snap per game situational pass rusher.

If Barton is released, THEN Hobson goes to the inside and we'll see what happens at OLB.

Justin McCareins isn't a bad 3rd receiver. I would say he was a dissapointment at the 1 or 2 spot but at the 3rd spot he is above average when compared to other teams. Sure he makes to much for what he does but that doesn't make it a weak position.

Justin McCareins isn't a bad 3rd receiver. I would say he was a dissapointment at the 1 or 2 spot but at the 3rd spot he is above average when compared to other teams. Sure he makes to much for what he does but that doesn't make it a weak position.

good point & I agree with you 100%. No mention of brad smith developing as a potential #3 wr either baffles me as well.

of course no critiqueing of the afce is complete until you mention the a.thomas, moss trade for ne & make no mention of thomas jones.

agreed

Since cap space isn't an issue........at the moment. He stays and is a good #3

Archived