Sam Adams released by Cincy

Greenseed3

you don't see them bringing in an older player to fill a hole? seems like they did that last year with kimo and bobby hamilton, and they also did it with a not as old anthony clement. im not sure if they will sign adams or not, but its not like this front office hasn't done it before.

Point taken, but there is a big difference between Kimo and Bobby H and Sam Adams. Kimo and Bobby H are high character 3-4 guys expected to lead the switchover. Sam Adams is a fat tub of goo. Doubt they want the younger guys following his lead. The three guys you listed were all signed, but are not held in very high regard. Bobby H was cut and resigned at a cheaper price. Clement was left to dangle on the FA market until the FO realized that we couldn't upgrade so easily. Kimo faced a standoff when his roster bonus was due. In that case the FO blinked.

I can see them signing stop gaps, but not if they see DRob as a stop gap. I think they'll try to groom somebody to at least be available if DRob is a cap casualty. I don't think they want to go into a season with 2 guys at NT they'll look to replace for '08. There is also the possibility that they don't think NT is as big a need as we all do. They certainly haven't treated it as a priority in 2 offseasons.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sam adams is lazy and done. he'd make it through about 5 minutes of Mangini's training camp. Not an option. also FWIW he sucked last year.

Bit, he was a full time starter last year. He wouldn't need to be here. I know you don't want anyone to threaten time from your precious DRob, but if Adams goes in for 1st downs only it is still a huge impact for us. DRob would still get plenty of playing time.

Point taken, but there is a big difference between Kimo and Bobby H and Sam Adams. Kimo and Bobby H are high character 3-4 guys expected to lead the switchover. Sam Adams is a fat tub of goo. Doubt they want the younger guys following his lead. The three guys you listed were all signed, but are not held in very high regard. Bobby H was cut and resigned at a cheaper price. Clement was left to dangle on the FA market until the FO realized that we couldn't upgrade so easily. Kimo faced a standoff when his roster bonus was due. In that case the FO blinked.

I can see them signing stop gaps, but not if they see DRob as a stop gap. I think they'll try to groom somebody to at least be available if DRob is a cap casualty. I don't think they want to go into a season with 2 guys at NT they'll look to replace for '08. There is also the possibility that they don't think NT is as big a need as we all do. They certainly haven't treated it as a priority in 2 offseasons.

first, kimo and bobby h are high character guys...well, i haven't really ever heard anything bad coming from sam adams either. he whined a little in buffalo when he was leaving, but its not like he is a bad guy.

as for not holding the other guys in "high regard" who is to say we need them to hold adams in high regard. we don't, we would need him to backup d-rob and spell him once in a while on obvious rushing downs.

Bit, he was a full time starter last year. He wouldn't need to be here. I know you don't want anyone to threaten time from your precious DRob, but if Adams goes in for 1st downs only it is still a huge impact for us. DRob would still get plenty of playing time.

That wouldnt work against most teams.... they would just run a no huddle and kill him...

That wouldnt work against most teams.... they would just run a no huddle and kill him...

Most teams? are you kidding? i can think of 3 that would do it, and we are one of them. Teams are way to conservative to trust a no-huddle early in the game.

hey get it straight im a jets fan first and foremost. I root for the laundry.

answer me this do the Bengals have to stop the run? Yes they do as do 31 other NFL teams, if Sam Adams was still a good player he wouldn't have been released in the middle of May. This is not a cap related release it is a performance related release and Sam Adams can no longer perform. Period, end of story.

Yes there are NT depth problems but Jets fans need to realize that waiver wire garbage is not the panecea for the Jets NT depth problems. I don't have an easy answer but I can tell you from having watched this player over the years and specifically last year he's done. People talk about non-stop motor for DL, Sam Adams has a non-start motor.

Most teams? are you kidding? i can think of 3 that would do it, and we are one of them. Teams are way to conservative to trust a no-huddle early in the game.

In the 2007 season... here are the teams we play that are capable of going no huddle... (even though I think just about any team can try it... these are the ones that can do it well IMO)

Pats (Twice)

Ravens

Eagles

Bengals

Steelers

Cowboys

Titans

Sam Adams wouldnt last...

The Pats would kill him week one...

In the 2007 season... here are the teams we play that are capable of going no huddle... (even though I think just about any team can try it... these are the ones that can do it well IMO)

Pats (Twice)

Ravens

Eagles

Bengals

Steelers

Cowboys

Titans

Sam Adams wouldnt last...

The Pats would kill him week one...

You are righta bout the pats. I don't think Roethlis-overrated could run the no huddle, same goes for romo. With the ravens, eagles, and bengals, i can't see them running it (even if they are capable), they usually find other ways to beat a team. A no huddle just isn't it.

I don't think Adams would be a bad pick up, but he would be exploited for reasons other than the no huddle.

answer me this do the Bengals have to stop the run? Yes they do as do 31 other NFL teams, if Sam Adams was still a good player he wouldn't have been released in the middle of May. This is not a cap related release it is a performance related release and Sam Adams can no longer perform. Period, end of story.

Yes there are NT depth problems but Jets fans need to realize that waiver wire garbage is not the panecea for the Jets NT depth problems. I don't have an easy answer but I can tell you from having watched this player over the years and specifically last year he's done. People talk about non-stop motor for DL, Sam Adams has a non-start motor.

he is better than pouha and mosley, and that is all that matters.

he is better than pouha and mosley, and that is all that matters.

maybe... maybe not. It's hard for any DT to be effective if he ceases to try. Sam Adams doesn't have the fire anymore. He never really had it consistantly when he was in his prime. this is a player who since the beginning has had questionable motivation.

maybe... maybe not. It's hard for any DT to be effective if he ceases to try. Sam Adams doesn't have the fire anymore. He never really had it consistantly when he was in his prime. this is a player who since the beginning has had questionable motivation.

I watched him for 3 years while he was in buffalo, pretty much EVERY game. he had plenty of fire while there and seemed to be plenty motivated.

oh and for the record Sam Adams is going into his 14th season in the league and assuming he gets picked up somewhere, this will be his 6th NFL team. He's 34 years old. these are facts.

what about ted washington? he is now in his 18th year. i wouldn't have minded him 4 years ago.

I watched him for 3 years while he was in buffalo, pretty much EVERY game. he had plenty of fire while there and seemed to be plenty motivated.

Are you sure you just weren't too high? :lol:

the bottom line is i don't have to argue this with you. The Jets know more about this player than any of us, let's see what they do shall we?

its a fricken internet message board, this is what you do here. you talk about news. if we just want to see what they do, why don't we just all log off of here and wait til the season starts?

Easy killer, just busting your chops!

As to your argument, that's completely baseless and you know it. Good and serviceable players get released all the time. Just because one team doesn't have a need for a guy does not mean the guy is useless. Hell, 2 years ago we were all thinking Shanahan lost his marbles, signing the entire CLE DL that amounted to 32nd overall against the run. A bunch of useless players that CLE, CLEVELAND!!!, couldn't wait to get rid of. DEN went on to have one of the best D's in the league with the same unit. Sam Adams would be just fine in a limited role. No, I don't expect him to be all world, just help stop the run and keep bodies off Vilma in the meantime.

As to Ecurb's argument, if Sam Adams causes other teams to completely change their gameplan to account for him being in the game then that's all the more reason why I want him here.

Easy killer, just busting your chops!

As to your argument, that's completely baseless and you know it. Good and serviceable players get released all the time. Just because one team doesn't have a need for a guy does not mean the guy is useless. Hell, 2 years ago we were all thinking Shanahan lost his marbles, signing the entire CLE DL that amounted to 32nd overall against the run. A bunch of useless players that CLE, CLEVELAND!!!, couldn't wait to get rid of. DEN went on to have one of the best D's in the league with the same unit. Sam Adams would be just fine in a limited role. No, I don't expect him to be all world, just help stop the run and keep bodies off Vilma in the meantime.

As to Ecurb's argument, if Sam Adams causes other teams to completely change their gameplan to account for him being in the game then that's all the more reason why I want him here.

lol until he falls over and dies on the field...

I wouldnt mind him on the JETS... but he would need to learn a new position at this stage in his career... IDK if it would work...

lol until he falls over and dies on the field...

I wouldnt mind him on the JETS... but he would need to learn a new position at this stage in his career... IDK if it would work...

why would he fall over and die? he started every game last year for the bengals, its not like he hasn't been playing.

as for learning a new position, he is making the same transition that d-rob had to make last year and adams actually has the body for the position.

AND...he wouldn't have to be relied on to be the starter and ONLY player we have worthwhile at the position, like drob last year.

first, kimo and bobby h are high character guys...well, i haven't really ever heard anything bad coming from sam adams either. he whined a little in buffalo when he was leaving, but its not like he is a bad guy.

as for not holding the other guys in "high regard" who is to say we need them to hold adams in high regard. we don't, we would need him to backup d-rob and spell him once in a while on obvious rushing downs.

My point wasn't that Adams is a bad guy, but that Kimo and Bobby H were here for reasons other than their talent. My point about "high regard" is that if the team isn't planning on keeping DRob, IMO they will look to get a younger guy in that will last for a few years to add some continuity rather than having to rely on Adams being able to stick around a few more years too. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

My point wasn't that Adams is a bad guy, but that Kimo and Bobby H were here for reasons other than their talent. My point about "high regard" is that if the team isn't planning on keeping DRob, IMO they will look to get a younger guy in that will last for a few years to add some continuity rather than having to rely on Adams being able to stick around a few more years too. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

you are wrong, there isn't a younger guy out there who could be the nt of the future. and its very doubtful that anyone who could be will become available.

you are wrong, there isn't a younger guy out there who could be the nt of the future. and its very doubtful that anyone who could be will become available.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I've got 1,000 vcash says the Jets don't sign him. Suppose I'd have to give you odds because if he has anything in the tank there'll be a bidding war...

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I've got 1,000 vcash says the Jets don't sign him. Suppose I'd have to give you odds because if he has anything in the tank there'll be a bidding war...

i never said the jets WILL sign him. i don't have a crystal ball. i said they should take a look at him, thats all i can say, as i am not part of the front office. on top of that, i don't care about vcash, unless i can somehow trade it in for real $$$, its worthless to me.

its a fricken internet message board, this is what you do here. you talk about news. if we just want to see what they do, why don't we just all log off of here and wait til the season starts?

i never said the jets WILL sign him. i don't have a crystal ball. i said they should take a look at him, thats all i can say, as i am not part of the front office. on top of that, i don't care about vcash, unless i can somehow trade it in for real $$$, its worthless to me.

Of course vcash is worthless to you, but so is arguing about the news on an internet message board. You don't mind that. ;)

Of course vcash is worthless to you, but so is arguing about the news on an internet message board. You don't mind that. ;)

no, conversation isn't worthless to me, maybe it is to you, but not to me. BUT fake betting definitely is.

WTF!!?? This is a message board, quite frankly the entire basis of it is to discuss opinions on football based on the news provided. If you don't like that then why are you here?

lol, I love it. Only the NFL could generate so much arguing, even among fans of the team. I want the jets to bring in anyone who they think can help the team. Within the scope that they also won't break the bank signing anyone. I think Adams would be a nice addition to the team. I don't think he will be an every day player. My only concern would be to the develop of D rob. If it's just to spell him 20-30 plays a game I say yes.

Bottom line is Pouha and Mosley stink. If anything Mosley should be playing 3-4 DE, not NT.

We need a guy to rotate and give Drob a series off, plays off now and then etc etc. If its not Sam Adams because of his knee or weight or whatever the reason, then so be it. But we need someone else in here because Drob is not a force at NT like a Jamal Williams, Wilfork, Hampton. We need to piece it together until we get one of those types. If Adams is healthy, he'd be a good fit. He's a proven force, and at limited playing time he could still be valuable if healthy.

Bottom line is Pouha and Mosley stink. If anything Mosley should be playing 3-4 DE, not NT.

We need a guy to rotate and give Drob a series off, plays off now and then etc etc. If its not Sam Adams because of his knee or weight or whatever the reason, then so be it. But we need someone else in here because Drob is not a force at NT like a Jamal Williams, Wilfork, Hampton. We need to piece it together until we get one of those types. If Adams is healthy, he'd be a good fit. He's a proven force, and at limited playing time he could still be valuable if healthy.

exactly.

WTF!!?? This is a message board, quite frankly the entire basis of it is to discuss opinions on football based on the news provided. If you don't like that then why are you here?

Of course I like discussing football. WTF do you think I'm doing here? It's still about as valuable as fake betting. It's just fun.

Archived