Sam Adams released by Cincy

Greenseed3

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6047

6'3, 350, DT Sam Adams was released by Cincy today in a money saving move. While the cut only saved the team a projected $700,000, the effort is also to get more youthful on the D-Line. They have signed two DT's in the last three weeks (Kendrick Allen [GB], and Michael Myers [DEN]), and drafted another in this year's draft (Matt Toenia [Oregon]).

The three-time pro-bowler Adams, is 34, and COULD be our short-term answer to clogging the middle, and at 1.5 million a year, could assume the cap space currently reserved for that amount in a certain disgruntled left guard (???).

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wonder if he has anything left. i know he WAS slowing down a bit while in buffalo, but he was a fulltime starter then. he wouldn't need to play even close to full time, just give us a huge body to switch up with d-rob at times. if he did have anything left i think it would be a HUGE help to robertson as adams should help wear down the offensive line.

6'3, 350, DT Sam Adams was released by Cincy today in a money saving move. While the cut only saved the team a projected $700,000, the effort is also to get more youthful on the D-Line. They have signed two DT's in the last three weeks (Kendrick Allen [GB], and Michael Myers [DEN]), and drafted another in this year's draft (Matt Toenia [Oregon]).

The three-time pro-bowler Adams, is 34, and COULD be our short-term answer to clogging the middle, and at 1.5 million a year, could assume the cap space currently reserved for that amount in a certain disgruntled left guard (???).

I've wanted this guy for the past 6 years. I think he is now a little too old, but as a stop gap like you've said it would make sense. I don't know how much we could get out of him or if it would hurt the develop of d rob though.

MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!

I know everyone jumps all over FAs as soon as they become available, but Sam is the man! I know he is on his down slide, but he has reserve role talent left, and, of course, HE IS AN AGGIE! AGGIE DL are awesome (i.e. Pat Williams, Ty Warren, and of course Sam the Man!)!!!!

This is the perfect guy to spell deeewayne in obvious run situations, nuff said!

Well to be honest Pouha hasn't done anything and Mosely didn't set the field on fire either.

Pouha hasn't done anything because of injury and obviously the coaching staff wants to see what he will do when healthy or else they wouldn't be keeping him around. Also, Mosley didn't start fires, no, but he was also a back-up. Sam Adams as a 34 NT at 34 years old might not be too big of an upgrade over Dewayne Robertson.

With Robertson, Pouha and Mosley on the roster I don't see the Jets bringing in Adams.

Pouha = garbage

Mosley = gap shooting 4-3 DT

Drob = decent/at times solid NT, not ideal.

We definitetly need another guy who can step in, give Drob a few snaps off, and help command double teams. I have no idea if Adams is the player he used to be, considering he was really overweight last year and had a knee surgery in the offseason. He's probably washed up. But we need somebody else to play NT along with Drob in 2007.

Pouha = garbage

Mosley = gap shooting 4-3 DT

Drob = decent/at times solid NT, not ideal.

We definitetly need another guy who can step in, give Drob a few snaps off, and help command double teams. I have no idea if Adams is the player he used to be, considering he was really overweight last year and had a knee surgery in the offseason. He's probably washed up. But we need somebody else to play NT along with Drob in 2007.

How do you know that Pouha is garbage when he hasn't seen the field because of injury? Lets see if he can stay healthy and play in the regular season this year and if he can how he does before proclaiming him garbage.

Mosley is better suited for the 43, yes, but he played some 34 NT last season and wasn't completely horrible when giving Robertson a breather.

Sam Adams is not the same player he was that he is now at 34. Roberston is going to be the starting NT again this season and like Vilma this could be the year he has to prove himself or he like Vilma, could very well be out the door by the Draft Day '08.

How do you know that Pouha is garbage when he hasn't seen the field because of injury? Lets see if he can stay healthy and play in the regular season this year and if he can how he does before proclaiming him garbage.

Mosley is better suited for the 43, yes, but he played some 34 NT last season and wasn't completely horrible when giving Robertson a breather.

Sam Adams is not the same player he was that he is now at 34. Roberston is going to be the starting NT again this season and like Vilma this could be the year he has to prove himself or he like Vilma, could very well be out the door by the Draft Day '08.

I'm not saying I want Adams to start. I think we all know Drob will be the starter, (by default) because obviously nobody else on the current roster is a capable 3-4 NT. Mosley blew chunks when he was put at NT last year. Pouha is just a joke.

We need someone who can come in and give Drob a series off here and some plays off now and then etc etc. Who knows if Adams is the guy, he probably isnt but we need someone else because Drob is not a fulltime NT, he wears down.

I'm not saying I want Adams to start. I think we all know Drob will be the starter, (by default) because obviously nobody else on the current roster is a capable 3-4 NT. Mosley blew chunks when he was put at NT last year. Pouha is just a joke.

We need someone who can come in and give Drob a series off here and some plays off now and then etc etc. Who knows if Adams is the guy, he probably isnt but we need someone else because Drob is not a fulltime NT, he wears down.

It looks as though the Jets are sticking with giving Pouha another chance this training camp so it looks like they believe Pouha is the guy. I for one am confident in Mangini's decision.

It looks as though the Jets are sticking with giving Pouha another chance this training camp so it looks like they believe Pouha is the guy. I for one am confident in Mangini's decision.

We'll see. I wouldnt count on Pouha making the team though.

Asking him to actually contribute would be like counting on the bum who's been on the street for 10 years to clean up and get a job.

Pouha hasn't done anything because of injury and obviously the coaching staff wants to see what he will do when healthy or else they wouldn't be keeping him around. Also, Mosley didn't start fires, no, but he was also a back-up. Sam Adams as a 34 NT at 34 years old might not be too big of an upgrade over Dewayne Robertson.

MIGHT not be an UPGRADE over robertson?

we don't him to be an upgrade, we need him for spot duty behind drob to give him a breath of air and to give the offensive line a different kind of player to have to deal with, a BIG FAT one. he doesn't need to be the player he used to be, he needs to be a part time player and a backup.

First of all, you cannot simply wait for a player like Pouha to "get healthy". That sort of goes against your primary argument against Chad Pennington, no?

Second of all, age really is not a HUGE deal for a nose tackle. They seem to be ageless. Just look at Ted Washington, he had a job until he hit 40. Adams may be on the downside, but he would still be as good as anyone we currently have. We have the money to offer Adams a 2-year deal for a fair price and be just fine financially. This would be a solid, pro-active move.

Pouha was like 25 when we drafted him, right? So, now, he is 27, with no significant playing time under his belt. Yep, we wouldn't want to bring in a 350-pound baby eating monster and risk impeding the progress of our 27 year old rookie.

Pouha was like 25 when we drafted him, right? So, now, he is 27, with no significant playing time under his belt. Yep, we wouldn't want to bring in a 350-pound baby eating monster and risk impeding the progress of our 27 year old rookie.

If we can get him for back-up money then I'm game. chances are we don't bring him in.

if cincy is letting him go then you know he's not the answer

Not really. In the NFL, teams let go of players for all kinds of reasons: staying under the cap, being loaded at a position and thus having certain players being expendable, etc.

The Bengals just had too many tackles, including some young ones they want to groom. Included in their DT corps are John Thornton (starter), 22-year old Domata Peko (likely starter), Michael Myers (FA pickup), Kenderick Allen (FA pickup), and Matt Toeaina (6th round pick). Adams just didn't fit into their plans.

In no way should that be a deterrent for a team like us to sign him.

I am the last person to ever say this during the offseason but.................sign this guy please!! Hell, just put him in on first downs to clog the run. That's all he needs to do and he already is a huge help to this team.

if cincy is letting him go then you know he's not the answer

That's a ridiculous response. I don't want to spend too much time responding to this but:

1) Teams release good players all the time. What, is Joey Porter horse-meat? Junior Seau did alright, Donnie Edwards got picked up by KC and lead his team in tackles last year.

2) Some players just don't fit their team's scheme. Kevin Shaffer was an incredible zone-blocking tackle in Atlanta, but required Cleveland draft Joe Thomas his replacement due to their scheme. Further, with time a lot of tackles move inside to guard as they age and lose their step. Not fitting one team doesn't equate to lack of talent.

3) Cincy runs a 4-3. We run a 3-4. His poor pass rushing skills and aged stamina fit our bill nicely. We need a clogger to plug lanes, not a DT to create QB pressure. His being replaced by younger, quicker tackles doesn't neccesarily mean he's out of gas, It means Cincy realizes that Adams won't be in the league that much longer.

4) We only need our "answer" until next year's draft... and only until then. '08 is when 3-5 quality DT's will be taken in the first round, I gather we'll draft one of them. Had there been more depth and talent behind Okoye, we might have taken one a few weeks ago; but the talent wasn't there (and won't be until next year).

Personally I'm a big fan of D-Rob and I think he is developing nicely in the 3-4, but there is no reason not to bring Sam Adams in. He wouldn't get much more than the veteran minimum at this point in his career and it is worth a shot with the cap space the Jets have. If he doesn't get it done in camp they can cut him. He would also compete with guys like Pouha and Mosley who would have to give it their all and maybe even teach them a thing or two. Bringing him here would free up D-Rob to move around a bit too. Not only could they platoon some at NT but Robertson could move around the line. Mangini seems to love moving guys around to confuse the Offense and keep the front seven fresh, and this would allow for that to happen a little more. I wouldn't count on Adams to have the motor to play too much but I think he has enough left to help this team for sure. At worst he pushes D-Rob, Mosley, and Pouha and the NT prospects the Jets brought in late last year and after the season (Darnell Fitch, Kenyatta Marshall).

That's a ridiculous response. I don't want to spend too much time responding to this but:

1) Teams release good players all the time. What, is Joey Porter horse-meat? Junior Seau did alright, Donnie Edwards got picked up by KC and lead his team in tackles last year.

2) Some players just don't fit their team's scheme. Kevin Shaffer was an incredible zone-blocking tackle in Atlanta, but required Cleveland draft Joe Thomas his replacement due to their scheme. Further, with time a lot of tackles move inside to guard as they age and lose their step. Not fitting one team doesn't equate to lack of talent.

3) Cincy runs a 4-3. We run a 3-4. His poor pass rushing skills and aged stamina fit our bill nicely. We need a clogger to plug lanes, not a DT to create QB pressure. His being replaced by younger, quicker tackles doesn't neccesarily mean he's out of gas, It means Cincy realizes that Adams won't be in the league that much longer.

4) We only need our "answer" until next year's draft... and only until then. '08 is when 3-5 quality DT's will be taken in the first round, I gather we'll draft one of them. Had there been more depth and talent behind Okoye, we might have taken one a few weeks ago; but the talent wasn't there (and won't be until next year).

Very well said!

Although I am not opposed to the FO trying to gauge interest from the Adams camp, signing him would be a complete unknown. His entire career has been spent playing DT in the 4-3, he has never played NT in the 3-4. Many seem to think as long as you're big that is not a problem, I see it as a huge challenge learning this position. The question will be does he want to make a commitment to learn this new position at this point in his career? Does he want the hassle of a Mangini training camp so soon after arthroscopic knee surgery? Or rather is he just looking for another easy paycheck before riding off into the sunset ala Chester "Fatburger" McGlockton? I fear it will be the latter and we won't see him on the Jets (rightfully so)....

sam adams is lazy and done. he'd make it through about 5 minutes of Mangini's training camp. Not an option. also FWIW he sucked last year.

Even if he didn't, I don't see this FO taking a shot with such an old player that is so close to being done. They may look at replacing DRob soon with his cap figure so I imagine they aren't going to want to carry two DTs that will have to be replaced so quick.

sam adams is lazy and done. he'd make it through about 5 minutes of Mangini's training camp. Not an option. also FWIW he sucked last year.

so you would rather have pouha, who has never played much, and mosley who is also known as lazy? i know i wouldn't.

Even if he didn't, I don't see this FO taking a shot with such an old player that is so close to being done. They may look at replacing DRob soon with his cap figure so I imagine they aren't going to want to carry two DTs that will have to be replaced so quick.

you don't see them bringing in an older player to fill a hole? seems like they did that last year with kimo and bobby hamilton, and they also did it with a not as old anthony clement. im not sure if they will sign adams or not, but its not like this front office hasn't done it before.

Archived