Jesse Pellot-Rosa

oxscott

Anyone know anything about the football skills of this kid. He used to crush us (ODU) when he was playing basketball at VCU. Looks like he was recruited to some big schools as a WR before taking the basketball scholarship at VCU.

College hoopster is slam dunk with Jets

Wednesday, May 16th 2007, 4:00 AM

Former Virginia Commonwealth basketball player Jesse Pellot-Rosa, who auditioned without a contract over the weekend at the Jets rookie minicamp, signed yesterday with the team.

The 6-4 Pellot-Rosa, who tried out as a wide receiver, had not played football since attending Fork Union (Va.) Military prep. He was recruited for football by schools such as Virginia and Tennessee, but opted for basketball. He averaged 14 points per game last season for VCU, helping the Rams upset Duke in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. - Rich Cimini

Former Virginia Commonwealth basketball player Jesse Pellot-Rosa, who auditioned without a contract over the weekend at the Jets rookie minicamp, signed yesterday with the team.

The 6-4 Pellot-Rosa, who tried out as a wide receiver, had not played football since attending Fork Union (Va.) Military prep. He was recruited for football by schools such as Virginia and Tennessee, but opted for basketball. He averaged 14 points per game last season for VCU, helping the Rams upset Duke in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. - Rich Cimini

isn't that the same high school as eddie george and some other nfl players?

He must have been somewhat impressive this weekend, but his background is somewhat limited, to say the least. I wonder if he can really beat out anyone for a slot on the team. W/R is one area where we are OK, with Coles and Cotchery, as well as Justin and Smith, an a few young no-names who were around last year, Like Wallace Wright.

He must have been somewhat impressive this weekend, but his background is somewhat limited, to say the least. I wonder if he can really beat out anyone for a slot on the team. W/R is one area where we are OK, with Coles and Cotchery, as well as Justin and Smith, an a few young no-names who were around last year, Like Wallace Wright.
Practice squad material if he shows any kind of raw talent in camp....

He's 6-3 with a big wing-span, has the heart of a lion and a work ethic to match it. Mangini will find a place on the roster for him if need be.

Mangini loves guys who are team leaders. Well, that is exactly what he is getting out of Jesse Pellot-Rosa. As a UNCW fan who considers VCU to be one of our chief rivals, I know what I'm talking about here. This could be a real find.

WR is obv. a strength with the emergence of Cotchery last season...however, Mccaerins has been a big disspointment and a solid third wide-receiver is needed. The last time the Jets had two 1000 yard receivers, I believe was Keyshawn and Chrebet and if my memory serves me correctly, they were supplemented by a formidable 3rd wideout in Dedric Ward....why not give the kid a shot, he certainly has the athletic ability

Virginia, virginia tech, UMD, Clemson, UNC and many others get many recruits from FU. Also it's used for many LOI players who can't qualify to get the grades up. Many D-1 programs may send a Ship player their to get them qualified, and to help them get used to a college type academic curriculum.

WR is obv. a strength with the emergence of Cotchery last season...however, Mccaerins has been a big disspointment and a solid third wide-receiver is needed. The last time the Jets had two 1000 yard receivers, I believe was Keyshawn and Chrebet and if my memory serves me correctly, they were supplemented by a formidable 3rd wideout in Dedric Ward....why not give the kid a shot, he certainly has the athletic ability

Did you just imply that Dedric Ward was a decent 3rd WR??? lol.

Could this guy be a kick/punt returner, so Revis wouldn't have to go there? He seems to have good potential, seems like he could develop into a good #3 guy.

I honestly don't see returning being in his future. He runs a 4.7 40. I could see him playing on special teams in some faculty, however.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He hasn't played football since HS, so there will be a steep learning curve from the outset as he gets used to the speed and complexity of the game. Don't get me wrong, however, I love the guy and think he can contribute.

I hope they send him to NFL Europe for a year to hone his skills, and maybe by 2008 he will be developing into a nice possession receiver for the future.

I honestly don't see returning being in his future. He runs a 4.7 40. I could see him playing on special teams in some faculty, however.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He hasn't played football since HS, so there will be a steep learning curve from the outset as he gets used to the speed and complexity of the game. Don't get me wrong, however, I love the guy and think he can contribute.

I hope they send him to NFL Europe for a year to hone his skills, and maybe by 2008 he will be developing into a nice possession receiver for the future.

Oh yeah, of course. I'm not expecting him to come right in and be the #3 guy right off the bat. I had no clue his physical stats besides height, so yeah that

rules out the possibility of him being a returnman. NFL Europe would be the best place for him, then we can bring him over once he develops a bit, and learns the NFL fundamentals.

Oh yeah, of course. I'm not expecting him to come right in and be the #3 guy right off the bat. I had no clue his physical stats besides height, so yeah that

rules out the possibility of him being a returnman. NFL Europe would be the best place for him, then we can bring him over once he develops a bit, and learns the NFL fundamentals.

Keep in mind basketball shape and football shape are two different things. To me, an avid fan of both, 4.7 seems kinda slow for Jesse. I wouldn't be surprise to learn he has lowered that as camp goes on. Also, Jesse possed one of the quickest steps in a Conference dominated by top quality guards. I'm not getting ahead of myself either but would love to see how his conditioning and skills develop as camp goes on.

Archived