Len P rips off Andrew Gross' idea (shorten time btwn DP's)

SoFlaJets

Time limits might be shortened for draft picks

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: May 16, 2007, 3:12 PM ET

Looking for a streamlined, more manageable and maybe ready-for-primetime NFL draft? Apparently, so is commissioner Roger Goodell.

Perhaps as a precursor to eventually presenting the first round as a primetime event, likely on a Friday, Goodell is expected to broach the subject of reducing the time limits for making selections in the first two rounds when owners convene next Tuesday in Nashville for the league's annual spring meeting.

This year's draft included the longest first round in history, at six hours and eight minutes. It also had the longest first day, with the first three rounds stretching 11 hours, four minutes.

A change in the time limits may not be enacted at Tuesday's one-day session, where the headline agenda item will be the awarding of Super Bowl XLV in 2011 to Phoenix, Dallas or Indianapolis. But in advance of the Nashville meeting, NFL sources told ESPN.com that Goodell has sought guidance from the influential competition committee and requested that the members of the committee gauge sentiment around the league for tightening the limits in the early rounds.

Several sources said there is considerable support for doing so.

The current time limits are 15 minutes for the first round, 10 minutes for the second, and five minutes for the final five rounds. The competition committee is expected to recommend time limits of 10 minutes for the first round, seven minutes for the second, and five minutes for the remaining rounds.

Because the draft falls under the purview of the commissioner, a formal vote technically isn't necessary to enact changes in the lottery, but Goodell is not inclined to act unilaterally on the matter. Instead, the owners could reduce the time limits by simply affirming a recommendation from the competition committee.

Such a move would significantly reduce the time required for the first round. Almost as important, it would provide the NFL an opportunity to give prime-time exposure to what has become its biggest offseason event, one that has exploded in popularity over the last several years, and which drew record television ratings last month.

What's the point? The draft takes a long time. Big deal. It is not like they are picking those guys and practicing later that day. So if they save 3 hours on draft day it matters why?

Seriously. I would rather each team not be rushed and try to get it right. I think that is more important.

What's the point? The draft takes a long time. Big deal. It is not like they are picking those guys and practicing later that day. So if they save 3 hours on draft day it matters why?

Seriously. I would rather each team not be rushed and try to get it right. I think that is more important.

I don't know Max-these top 15 teams have 3 months to figure out what they wanna do-how can it possibly take so long to pick?-maybe a possible deal provision gives them an additional 5 minutes but it IS painfully slow on Saturday

I don't know Max-these top 15 teams have 3 months to figure out what they wanna do-how can it possibly take so long to pick?-maybe a possible deal provision gives them an additional 5 minutes but it IS painfully slow on Saturday

I got to agree, sorry maxie. I love the draft, but man it will take forever for the Jets to draft at 32 next year.

Exactly. And if the ratings were higher than ever this year, then Goodell should listen to the old saying "If it aint broke, dont fix it"

You'd hate to think how different the teams would be in the NFL if picks took only 10 minutes and not 15. Who knows how different everything would be if the last 5 1st rds were 10 minutes a pick and not 15.

Most teams know who they are going to pick in the first round before the draft.

Lets be realistic. Its all about the TV time. There's a half dozen guys who

have togive their opinions during the 15 minutes so of course it going to take 8 hours

to complete.

I got to agree, sorry maxie. I love the draft, but man it will take forever for the Jets to draft at 32 next year.

What is the benefit to shortening it? To improve how it plays out on TV. That is for the casual fan that only cares about the 1st round anyway. I want my team to get it right. I wouldn't care if they made the first round its own day. Seriously.

No need to rush for the sake of ESPN.

What is the benefit to shortening it? To improve how it plays out on TV. That is for the casual fan that only cares about the 1st round anyway. I want my team to get it right. I wouldn't care if they made the first round its own day. Seriously.

No need to rush for the sake of ESPN.

prime-time = more money.. end of story.

I understand that is what the NFL would want. I am just not sure what the benefit is to the fans. Sure the picks get announced quicker but does that really matter? If you are posting on a football message board in May you are a diehard. My thought it saving a few hours on draft day isn't real high on the list.

I understand that is what the NFL would want. I am just not sure what the benefit is to the fans. Sure the picks get announced quicker but does that really matter? If you are posting on a football message board in May you are a diehard. My thought it saving a few hours on draft day isn't real high on the list.

I've always been in favor of reducing the times between picks. After this year I'm convinced it HAS to be done. I've been a draftnik for years but this year it d.r.a.g.g.e.d on endlessly. Even I found myself starting to do other things during the 1st round and actually taped the rest of the draft. At times it was pure agony. Like SFJ stated, they've had 3 months to do the evaluations. Just make your pick and move on. There were several teams who KNEW who they would pick yet still took the full 15 min. to make it official while waiting for the phone to ring towards a possible deal. Just get it done already.

I've always been in favor of reducing the times between picks. After this year I'm convinced it HAS to be done. I've been a draftnik for years but this year it d.r.a.g.g.e.d on endlessly. Even I found myself starting to do other things during the 1st round and actually taped the rest of the draft. At times it was pure agony. Like SFJ stated, they've had 3 months to do the evaluations. Just make your pick and move on. There were several teams who KNEW who they would pick yet still took the full 15 min. to make it official while waiting for the phone to ring towards a possible deal. Just get it done already.

That is exactly why I have a problem with changing it. We are changing it for the fans? For TV? That is just wrong. They take the full 15 just in case a trade offer comes in. I would rather have the event not be televised at all and have it take 3 days.

The goal of the draft is to get the best players possible. If it takes 15 minutes in round 1 to make sure that happens, I am okay with it.

Just my 2 cents.

Exactly.

Then you will have teams selling tickets for 5 bucks a pop to watch the draft on a stadium screen or one erected to provide a better view. Then you can factor in parking, concessions and jerseys.

It is going to happen.

remember a couple of years ago Dennis Green's Vikings LOST a 1st round pick by missing the deadline? I think it was his team...

They still had a 1st round pick but they did lost a couple of spots. Let's move it to 20 minutes each!

remember a couple of years ago Dennis Green's Vikings LOST a 1st round pick by missing the deadline? I think it was his team...

Wasn't that done purposely so they could save money by picking 1 slot later, yet get the same guy they were targeting?

Wasn't that done purposely so they could save money by picking 1 slot later, yet get the same guy they were targeting?

I think the team after them rushed the pick and they actually were bumped again. I could be wrong but I thought that was what happened.

The 15 minutes is not for time to deliberate on who to take, most prepared NFL teams already know who they would draft going in. It is to field offers from other teams, which quite frankly 15 minutes is not alot of time to do so especially if you consider that multiple teams are probably calling.

The 15 minutes is not for time to deliberate on who to take, most prepared NFL teams already know who they would draft going in. It is to field offers from other teams, which quite frankly 15 minutes is not alot of time to do so especially if you consider that multiple teams are probably calling.

As long as Daniel Synder is in the league they should make it 30 minutes. So that everyone has an equal chance to rip him off!

Keep it the way it is. If it drew record ratings, why change it. Teams in the latter half of the first round mightn't know who they're taking if their top guys are picked. This is just for the fans, but the diehards would watch the draft anyways. Shortening it only harms the teams, who might choose a different player with those extra five minutes to fix. There is nothing wrong with the way it is now, so why change it?

Folks, we're in the technological era. Are you telling me that NFL teams have to rely on call-waiting? Can we get Mr. Tannenbaum a 2-line phone, please?

Tannenbaum: "Al Davis is on the other line? Hold on, give me a second, Herm's on the phone. I think he wants to deal us Larry Johnson for David Barrett."

Can someone who wants the time changed tell me if they agree with this statement:

Changing the time benefits the fans and ESPN. It does not benefit the actual teams that will be making each pick.

I think the team after them rushed the pick and they actually were bumped again. I could be wrong but I thought that was what happened.

If I remember correctly the Vikings time ran out and 1st one then a 2nd team litterally ran up with their picks. It was a riot. I LMAO.

These teams spend months on the draft. Some more than others depending upon whether you make the playoffs or not. If you are a non playoff team you should know who you want to pick and have done yuour homework to have back up picks if you player is not on the board. The only time team should take the full amount of time is if the team is entertaining trade offers. Other than that, make your pick and move on... Hell the raiders took almost the entire 15 minutes to surprise no one and pick JeMarcus Russell...are you kidding me. We must shorten this up, if your team does well you have to wait the wholke day for their pick, that is insane... In fact, 10 minutes may be to long, if my calculation is correct the first round would still take over five hours assuming every team used all of the alloted time. However, looking at the dynamics I am not sure the first round can be less than ten minutes, but If it could I would be in favor of that.

Archived