Jets tidbits from a Pasquarelli article

nj meadowlands

CBA = more cash = less cuts on June 1 = less names available

Perhaps the most notable June 1 move could be the anticipated retirement of classy New York Jets tailback Curtis Martin, the future Hall of Fame runner who has delayed walking away from the game for good, but now seems poised to limp into his post-football future. Martin, though, isn't so much a cap casualty -- although postponing his departure until after June 1 will benefit the Jets -- as much as he is the victim of a 2005 knee injury.

Even wide receiver Justin McCareins, who lost his starting job with the Jets last season, and who was the subject of plenty of trade speculation earlier in the spring, isn't such a sure-thing to be released now. While his 2007 base salary of $2.91 million is pricey for a guy who might rate no better than the team's No. 3 wideout, McCareins has been a regular at the Jets' offseason sessions and agent Cliff Brady said Tuesday there are no signs that his client's release is imminent.

"A month ago," Brady said, "I would have told you he'd be gone (June 1). But I don't think that's the case now. No one has told me he's going to be released."

The Jets might consider cutting starting guard Pete Kendall, who has contract issues and has stopped attending the offseason program, but would almost certainly attempt to first trade the 11-year veteran. Starting linebacker Eric Barton might be on the Jets' chopping block but, even if released, wouldn't technically qualify as a June 1 casualty, since the team could have gained the same amount of cap relief no matter when it released him

I still think the Jets end up releasing one of at lest three players who have been talked about all off-season:

Eric Barton

David Barrett

Justin McCareins

I still think that at least one of those three will go.

I still think the Jets end up releasing one of at lest three players who have been talked about all off-season:

Eric Barton

David Barrett

Justin McCareins

POTW NOM

WHY? Because I want to read something about football on this board and I needed a reason to quote it!

Eric Barton

David Barrett

Justin McCareins

I think Barrett is preety much gone.

POTW NOM

WHY? Because I want to read something about football on this board and I needed a reason to quote it!

here ya go Max a better read from FITM's guys at JetsCentral....

Possible June 1st Cuts?

May 31st, 2007 by Gary Grund

June 1st is tomorrow and the cuts will come throughout the league. Among the possible candidates for the Jets to release are the following:

WR Justin McCareins

McCareins is carrying a $3 million base salary heading into the 2007 season. His amount of reception has steadily declined ever since his first season with the Jets in 2004. McCareins hasn

I really, really liked Barrett in '04 but since then he has been a train wreck. I've wanted him out since the beginning of last season, now's the time with a $3+ million salary cap number and 5 other good Cornerback's on the roster, to party ways.

As for Barton, I don't see the need for him, unless he is comfortable being a back-up to David Harris.

As for McCareins, cya! We already have Coles, Cotchery, B.Smith, Dwight & Stuckey.

Barton was one of the Jets better LBs last year just do not understand why is he so easy to ship out... As for J Mac Dwight needs to stay healthy and Stuckey has proved nothing...and Brad Smith still tbd...be careful what you wish for here

Barton was one of the Jets better LBs last year just do not understand why is he so easy to ship out... As for J Mac Dwight needs to stay healthy and Stuckey has proved nothing...and Brad Smith still tbd...be careful what you wish for here

Exactly, I don't know why so many people have it out for Barton and J-mac. I keep saying j-mac is going to have a break out year. he is going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder, same with barton who is going to try and out shine a rook. We don't have anything proven after j-mac at w.o. if anything I could see us dumping kimo with all the de's we brought in.

When did Barton end up on the cutting block? Does anyone here see Harris as of now, better than Barton? Don't joke yourselves people, Harris is a year or more away and other than some intelligence concerns with Barton(Herm would've thrown him under the bus if the Jets lost because of his hit on Brees), he still is better suited at this point. Unless Harris practices like a god during training camp, Barton will not be cut. J Mac, Barrett, Kimo should be for what he makes and kendall should be released or traded.

Fow what its worth, both Barrett and Barton were playing with the first team-D in today's OTA, and Jmac made several impressive red-zone catches. I couldn't tell you who of the list would be cut talent-wise. Barrett was playing injured last year, and has rebounded from his current surgery to win Mangini's graces. Barton isn't a terrible player; he just isn't terrific. The same can be said of Jmac.

Here's a good article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2007/05/practice_notes_kendalls_holdou.html

Archived