Mark Messier

Maxman

I am not a hockey fan. But I had this debate with someone and I think I am right.

My understanding was that Mark Messier was\is a tough player. Someone that didn't fight much. But didn't lose when he did fight.

I was told that I was wrong. Am I?

Honestly, I can't ever remember Mark fighting. Ever. He always had a Marty McSorley or someone like that behind him. He was a tough fighter, but he played on a line with Wayne Gretzky. They weren't exactly going to see the goons. And, when he wasn't with Wayne, he was always on the top line, so probably wasn't going to see any goons.

That being said, I'm fairly sure that Mark could have handled his business, should it come down to it.

Honestly, I can't ever remember Mark fighting. Ever. He always had a Marty McSorley or someone like that behind him. He was a tough fighter, but he played on a line with Wayne Gretzky. They weren't exactly going to see the goons. And, when he wasn't with Wayne, he was always on the top line, so probably wasn't going to see any goons.

That being said, I'm fairly sure that Mark could have handled his business, should it come down to it.

Thanks SS. Here is what I remember. He had a scrap sometime around the year he won it all with the Rangers. He leveled someone. I was told that he didn't do it often. But he could.

Messier was and is a pu$$y. He hid behind enforcers back in the days where every team had a goon. He should put McSorely in his will.

GOB you are not helping my cause here. The person who I debated this with will be posting here in the morning.

She is female. She posts in this forum almost exclusively. She shall remain nameless.

I just wanted to prove her wrong about something hockey related. Honestly I am tired of correcting\educating her on football and baseball! :mrgreen:

Falsehoods. All falsehoods. Although you know more about baseball.

Pat: Thanks. He tried to tell me yesterday that Messier was an 'enforcer'. I had to laugh. I told him to stick to his baseball trivia. When he talks about hockey, he sounds like his friend TomShane.

Honestly I am tired of correcting\educating her on football and baseball! :mrgreen:

Looking at his stats,

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=3688

any team Messier was on didn't want him in the penalty box. He didn't hesitate to hit people and didn't shy away from a check at all. But he didn't fight. The Oilers had Semenko, and with the Rangers, Domi, Kocur or his linemate Adam Graves did most of his fighting for him. Cannot recall even one fight Messier having with the Rangers.

Messier was always a physical player but no he did not get into boxing matches throughout his career- as Guns said his teammates took the battles for him.

You never want your best players in the penalty box for 5 minutes - but Messier was not shy from making contact and being physical

So it sounds like you guys agree with me? He is\was tough.

All I have to do is dig up proof that he won a scrap or two and then I will have proven myself right. Correct?

I am not a hockey fan. But I had this debate with someone and I think I am right.

My understanding was that Mark Messier was\is a tough player. Someone that didn't fight much. But didn't lose when he did fight.

I was told that I was wrong. Am I?

Max this description you stated is on the mark- very few fights in his career- his teammates protected him but Messier could handle himself in any scrapes he got into

Max this description you stated is on the mark- very few fights in his career- his teammates protected him but Messier could handle himself in any scrapes he got into

THANK YOU! MAX WAS RIGHT. MAX WAS RIGHT. I am a hockey genius!!!

I should be the new commish.

I will open the game up by removing offsides and making the 2 line pass legal.

I can't be stopped. Thank you guys for inviting me to this forum. I plan on posting in here exclusively from now on. I have been in the football forum forever telling them how great Herm is but nobody listens.

You guys are lucky. I will share my insight with only you now!!!

YAY US!!!

I should be the new commish.

I will open the game up by removing offsides and making the 2 line pass legal.

I can't be stopped. Thank you guys for inviting me to this forum. I plan on posting in here exclusively from now on. I have been in the football forum forever telling them how great Herm is but nobody listens.

You guys are lucky. I will share my insight with only you now!!!

YAY US!!!

Why do I have this sick feeling in my stomach all of a sudden- Messier haters are blinded by the fact he is a Ranger (hint GGG). He was part of a great Edmonton team give him some credit for a future Hall Of Famer

No, you're not right. And no, you're the furthest thing from a genius.

GOB is right. Messier had people to hide behind. Steve Yzerman got into more fights and he's half of Mark's size. He would have been wrecked by any NHL enforcer. And I'm pretty sure Scott Stevens woulda beat him into the ice at MSG.

Oh, and Bob Probert, circa 88, was the best enforcer of this generation. I'd say of all time, but he'd get stomped into the ice by Gordie.

Nice knowing you, ss19.

SS19....I am sorry if we gave the impression that all view points are allowed here! [-X

Here is how it works...if you agree with me, post it twice. If you disagree think it in your head but never type it out!

On an unrelated sidenote I am sorry about the tshirt mixup. Really you should have it any day. As a matter of fact run to the mailbox and check right now.

Oh and I updated your Rank to reflect your new status!

SS19....I am sorry if we gave the impression that all view points are allowed here! [-X

Here is how it works...if you agree with me, post it twice. If you disagree think it in your head but never type it out!

On an unrelated sidenote I am sorry about the tshirt mixup. Really you should have it any day. As a matter of fact run to the mailbox and check right now.

Oh and I updated your Rank to reflect your new status!

Um, thanks?

Let's settle this on the racquetball court then. Best in 2 out of 3.

Dude... I'd whoop you two straight in racquetball. You'd be worn out after the first go 'round. And, you see who's got my back, playa... best think twice, next time. Probation? Homie please! SS don't play that...

Just like how Messier is still a sissy.

Yzerman is your god, now! =D>=D>

:wink:

Archived