Trouble in Mets Land

Bugg

Kinda think having Julio Franco take up a roster spot was at some point going to backfire on them. Seems it now has. Plus while you won't see it in the NY papers, Brian Bannister(dealt for the immortal Ambroix Burgos) is now truning into an ace wtih the Royals. Whyw as that trade made? -

http://nyjerplease.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2007/6/18/3030627.html

"The Mets Are Falling Apart

by Luke Halpert on Mon 18 Jun 2007 01:33 PM EDT | Permanent Link | Cosmos

Right off the bat, I'd like to say that I expect you to be skeptic of what I'm about the write. This blog isn't even about breaking stories (not that we don't want to every now and then), this is the first real post at Nyjer Please and I'm a relative unknown in blogging circles. That trifecta calls for bullsh!t 99.9% of the time. Well, I'm here to tell you that Nyjer Please is the .1%. A source who will remain anonymous, gave me a couple of nuggets the other day that have come up during the club's recent stretch where they have lost twelve of their last fifteen games.

First off, my source is told me that "the manager doesn't care much for the center fielder", obviously alluding to Willy Randolph and Carlos Beltran. In an off the record conversation, Randolph said Beltran "lacks passion" and is fed up with Beltran's lack of hustle on the base paths.

Secondly, Julio Franco, who recently celebrated his 89th birthday, is becoming a "clubhouse cancer". Since the losing streak, my source told me that Franco has become the ringleader of a "racial divide" in the clubhouse between the Latinos and non-Latinos. While it isn't a straight divide, it was painfully obvious there was something going on during last night's debacle at Yankee Stadium, where the Latinos were sitting in the dugout while the non-Latinos were on the dugout railing the entire game.

Finally, my source is telling me the non-Latino crew is convinced that the organization prefers Latino players. They feel that Julio Franco and his .200 batting average is "only on team because of his heritage" and are dumbfounded how Carlos Delgado is still hitting cleanup every day. The one player who is most unhappy about this is soon to be free agent Paul Lo Duca, who feels the club doesn't want him back because he "doesn't fit the profile", obviously alluding to the Latino bias of the club.

Well, there you have it. The Mets, my Mets, who once looked like the perfect team, the Brangelina of baseball teams if you will, are going through what looks like a clubhouse shift that could completely destroy this team. The catcher, the unquestioned leader, the heart and soul of the club doesn't want to come back and our manager doesn't have the hots for the center fielder. Hopefully a nice five-game win streak will cure all this and all will be well in Metsville."

Isn't it amazing what going through a bad stretch will do.

I don't know if this a legit source or not but somehow I have to call shenanigans on this one.

Me, too. Bad streaks bring out the worst in fan speculation and, to a degree, in the clubhouse. We saw it with the Yanks earlier in the season and it got better.

The Mets will, too.

I liked the line about Franco, recently passing his 89th birthday, though.

Thing about Delgado-they've tired to move him around. But that's cosmetic. Their lineup is predicated production-wise and lefty/righty for him to get offense from the cleanup spot. They aren't going to suddenly now change that blueprint midseason.

Look at Bannister's start though- 4-3(4-0 in June), 3.21 ERA, 29 Ks and 15 BBs in 61.2 IP. That trade is starting to look as bad as Kazmir, and this team needs a solid starter much more than another middling reliever like Burgos. There's no plausible reason for that trade. It made no sense when it was made,and it looke even worse today.

Rubbish by a "blogger". I think we'd all agree this is a very close knit team and someone is just seeking a little attention to a blog nobody reads.

Beltran is playing through a quad injury due to the injuries the Mets incurred at the corner outfielders. Other than ARod there isn't a better player in NY ---regular or post season.

BTW....the Mets remain in 1st place. Kazmir is no longer even the ACE of the Rays staff and Bannister could not make our rotation. Blog on. Some people just have a BUGG up their a$$.

Rubbish by a "blogger". I think we'd all agree this is a very close knit team and someone is just seeking a little attention to a blog nobody reads.

Beltran is playing through a quad injury due to the injuries the Mets incurred at the corner outfielders. Other than ARod there isn't a better player in NY ---regular or post season.

BTW....the Mets remain in 1st place. Kazmir is no longer even the ACE of the Rays staff and Bannister could not make our rotation. Blog on. Some people just have a BUGG up their a$$.

Agreed, there is nothing to this. Nothing that a 3 game winning streak won't cure. Randolph might not care for Beltran's style. But at the end of the year his numbers will be good. That is what counts.

No one can deny Beltran dogs it sometimes. He is a little bit of a mary imo.

He definitetly loafs too much and doesnt always give 100%, that is for sure.

Not sure I buy everything in the piece, but it IS safe to say that Omar likes his latin players ALOT. I didnt notice that dugout separated thing though.

He definitetly loafs too much and doesnt always give 100%, that is for sure.

Not sure I buy everything in the piece, but it IS safe to say that Omar likes his latin players ALOT. I didnt notice that dugout separated thing though.

He is playing hurt and has no prior history of dogging it. Talk about what you know.

The blog is complete horse crap.

BTW, the definition of a soft or "mary" outfielder currently plays RF in the Bronx.

He is playing hurt and has no prior history of dogging it. Talk about what you know.

The blog is complete horse crap.

BTW, the definition of a soft or "mary" outfielder currently plays RF in the Bronx.

Playing hurt? He's practically walking to first base. Damons hurt and at least he hustles.

If anyone thinks the Mets are favoring Latin players on the roster does not know what they are talking about- check Minaya's record in Washington and the Mets- he tries to win period.

If anyone thinks the Mets are favoring Latin players on the roster does not know what they are talking about- check Minaya's record in Washington and the Mets- he tries to win period.

Then why did he bring up the latin factor to Delgado when he tried to sign him in 2005? He definitetly loves his latin players.

Even when Beltran is healthy, he loafs around in the field. He's like Abreu, only Bobby at least hustles down the 1st base line.

Then why did he bring up the latin factor to Delgado when he tried to sign him in 2005? He definitetly loves his latin players.

Even when Beltran is healthy, he loafs around in the field. He's like Abreu, only Bobby at least hustles down the 1st base line.

Yeah he was trying to sign the best player available at the time for first base-look at Minay's overall work in his years aas a GM take the blinders off.

This sounds like a political or racial thread,, I for one as surpised it is still open

No it is the thread of a fanbase that is 9 games out and must find a blog with a readership of probably 2 people to make themselves feel better about the Yanks current situation. Beltran doesn't hustle is the newest dig now that Delgado is a dog has ran it's course just around the time he started to hit as always. Never has it ever been said anywhere that Beltran doesn't hustle or play hard. We also always hear all the time what a close group the Mets team is.

Hilarious part of a Yank fan bringing this up is that the Yankee RF acts like he's been shocked by a invisible electric fence the minute he crosses the warning track on a fly ball.

The blog is by a 17-year-old kid.

He has given no information as to who his source is whatsoever.

Which is fine, of course, however, many believe the source is non-existent.

I'm calling it a fabulous lie, which was implemented to drive up traffic on his blog.

The owner of metsblog.com -- who this kid worked with briefly -- basically called the kid out as a fraud.

It's a ridiculous story to put out there unless your sources are 110% correct.

These issues are entirely too hot to mess around with, especially in this day and age where blogging and mainstream media are becoming dangerously close.

Look at the Islanders, they have opened up a 'blogging box' at their games.

This, unfortunately, gives a bad name to each and every blogger out there.

No it is the thread of a fanbase that is 9 games out and must find a blog with a readership of probably 2 people to make themselves feel better about the Yanks current situation. Beltran doesn't hustle is the newest dig now that Delgado is a dog has ran it's course just around the time he started to hit as always. Never has it ever been said anywhere that Beltran doesn't hustle or play hard. We also always hear all the time what a close group the Mets team is.

Hilarious part of a Yank fan bringing this up is that the Yankee RF acts like he's been shocked by a invisible electric fence the minute he crosses the warning track on a fly ball.

Riiiiiiight. Thats it.

People (including Mets fans!!) have long been saying Carlos doesnt always hustle. And its true. He does not always hustle.

Look at Bannister's start though- 4-3(4-0 in June), 3.21 ERA, 29 Ks and 15 BBs in 61.2 IP. That trade is starting to look as bad as Kazmir, and this team needs a solid starter much more than another middling reliever like Burgos. There's no plausible reason for that trade. It made no sense when it was made,and it looke even worse today.

At the time the Mets needed STARTING pitching so they went ahead and traded a STARTING pitcher for middle relief pitcher. It made NO sense then and even LESS sense now. Glavines ERA in June is over 10.00 and the Mets as a team have a June ERA of 5.68.

At the time the Mets needed STARTING pitching so they went ahead and traded a STARTING pitcher for middle relief pitcher. It made NO sense then and even LESS sense now. Glavines ERA in June is over 10.00 and the Mets as a team have a June ERA of 5.68.

Yep and we all agree that roster decisions should be soley based on the month of June.

Bannister was houdini as a Met escaping out of many jams and garnering some 5 inning wins in games he allowed 10 or 11 base runners.

They traded him for a power reliever with closer potential down the road. The reliever we obtained was and is a reclamation project but obviously immediate results would have made the deal look better.

The Mets smartly saw zero future in Bannister and are not done with shaping the pitching staff for both the future and the stretch run.

While we are in love with KC pitchers maybe we should ask why the Yanks didn't sign Meche who sports a 3.16 since May 3rd instead of Igawa.

While we are in love with KC pitchers maybe we should ask why the Yanks didn't sign Meche who sports a 3.16 since May 3rd instead of Igawa.

As a Mets fan I could care less what the Yanks did or should have done. I personnally would have liked to see Meche wearing orange and blue this summer. I thought he might be a good addition till his price tag skyrocketed.

No one can deny Beltran dogs it sometimes. He is a little bit of a mary imo.

Maybe, maybe not...I've never heard this about Beltran.

But its the height of hypocrisy for a Yankee fan to talk about a superstar from another team "dogging it" as your entire roster has been dogging it for almost a decade.

There are 6 year olds walking around aimlessly wondering if they will ever see a Yankee championship in their lifetime.

Archived