Trent Green could be scrambled eggs per Jason Taylor

Kentucky Jet

Report: Dolphins' Jason Taylor says Trent Green 'could be scrambled eggs'

By Harvey Fialkov

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Posted June 22 2007

Jason Taylor's recent pledge to stop giving opinions to reporters might have come too late.

The Dolphins' defensive end is quoted in a national magazine this week as saying he doesn't have confidence in quarterback Trent Green's ability to take a hit after missing eight games last season due to a serious concussion.

LocalLinks

In a profile on Taylor in this week's Sports Illustrated, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year is quoted as saying about Green: "This is off the record--oh, what the hell, it's on the record: He'd better not get hit. One big hit, and he could be scrambled eggs."

However, Taylor, who returned from x London on Thursday evening after helping management promote the Oct. 28 game at Wembley Stadium against the Giants, told Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene.

"I talked to Jason,'' Greene said. "[Taylor told me] the quote is garbage. It was taken out of context."

The interview was given before June 5, the day the Dolphins traded with the Kansas City Chiefs for Green, who suffered a severe concussion in the season opener against the Bengals.

The article also said that Taylor and his agent Gary Wichard sold a reality TV show to Fox, however a Fox spokesperson said Thursday night that was not accurate, and while there was a discussion, no deal was finalized.

Taylor, who recently admitted having a, "couple of concussions" himself, said at minicamp on June 8 that reporters tend to exaggerate his opinion, particularly his draft-day, knee-jerk negative reaction regarding the Dolphins selection of returner/receiver Ted Ginn Jr. over quarterback Brady Quinn.

Green, 36, who has been given complete medical clearance from several neurologists and has been told there would no lingering effects from his first concussion, was unavailable for comment.

Taylor, who has since softened his stance on the Ginn selection, said recently that Green is a, "good quarterback," but ...

"They figured out a way to get Trent Green because they think he's going to be good for this system," Taylor said on June 8. "We know he's a good quarterback, and we'll see how that translates in September. It's easy to run around when you can't hit each other. You kind of just play patty-cake and all that. You got to put the pads on and play the game to see their true colors."

Also in the SI profile, entitled Blitzing Hollywood, Taylor's wife, Katina, said that her husband almost retired before last season in a gesture to save their then-troubled marriage.

"It's ironic that he had his greatest season after talking about quitting just before it started," said Katina, who filed for divorce twice and sought primary custody of their three young children, but both times changed her mind.

Taylor said that he has cut down on his nights out with friends.

"I got my cage rattled. You work at it," Taylor said.

Taylor also remains one of the few supporters of former coach Nick Saban.

"I loved Nick; I thought he was great," Taylor said. "He rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but I was his kind of guy. Yeah, his decision was selfishly based, but at the end of the day, isn't everybody going to take the best job that's available?

"I don't want to get too political, but we're in a war based on false pretenses. We have problems in this nation with health care and affordable housing, and how many politicians have lied about that? And people want to freak out because Nick Saban wouldn't coach a football team?"

Taylor, who hinted at retirement following the regular-season finale against the Colts, said, that "barring something drastic, I'm here to play out my career."

Taylor, 32, is signed through the 2009 season.

Wasnt Chad called scrambled eggs too? No wait, he was just an egg. Close though.

Was there any reason to make this jibe?This thread wasn't about Chad,this thread wasn't about another QB on the Jets,it wasn't even about the Jets.Yet you still go out of your way to bash him.You are as about as rational as ecurb when it comes to Chad.

Actually it was Chads own teammates.

Actually it was teamMATE, and it was widely believed to be Pete Kendall or Kevin Mawae....two guys who ironically, each time they are spoken of on this site its mentioned by many people that they just run their mouth pointlessly.

But yeah, other than that...you're 100% right.

Trent Green is scrambled eggs.

Jason Taylor has a big mouth.

For a team with such lousy fans, why are they always in the media?? Why does the media have such a hard-on for the Fish??

Time for taylor and zach thomas to retire.

Didn't you hear that they went undefeated and won the Super Bowl in 1972? Ha!

Didn't you hear that they went undefeated and won the Super Bowl in 1972? Ha!

Im so stupid, how could I forget that wonderful moment 35 years ago....

I look forward to those stupid clips of the remaining players popping champagne every year... ***yawn***

Thats almost as stupid as fans still fawning over some player 39 years ago saying his team is going to win.... oh..... um..... ah..... At least we sell out our games! And our colors arent TEAL!!! Yeah...

:P:);)

At least I can understand why the media loves the Patsies... they've won something recently... I think...

Can declining Green help Miami?

By Adam Best on June 22, 2007 12:33 AM

I've been pretty critical of new Miami Dolphins QB Trent Green, and rightfully so -- after all, I watched him play the past six seasons.

Green is about as mobile as a vending machine that's drilled to the floor. After he took that vicious, clearly accidental hit at the hands of Cincinnati Bengals defensive end Robert Geathers last year, he was never quite the same.

At the age of 37, Green is on the decline.

We all know why Green succeeded in Kansas City, but what did he succeed in spite of? What weapons do head Coach Cam Cameron and his Dolphins have in their arsenal that the Kansas City Chiefs were lacking?

In Kansas City he did have a great offensive line -- initially. Ex-Pro Bowl tackle Willie Roaf essentially missed both of the last two years, and former Pro Bowl guard Will Shields might as well have missed last year -- it seemed like his heart just wasn't in it any longer. Now, Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters and center Casey Wiegmann have been rock solid, but everyone else -- starter, part-time starter or backup -- played poorly.

Last year, the line was especially bad with Jordan Black -- who earned the moniker "I-65" because he was essentially a highway to QBs for pass rushers -- and Kyle Turley masquerading as starters. Turley had shrunk to such a degree that when he initially came out of retirement it was as a tight end. Needless to say, the offensive line did not play up to its reputation as one of the NFL's best last season.

Need further proof? In '06, with an NFL-record 416 rushing attempts, running back Larry Johnson barely ran for more yards (1,789) than he did the previous season (1,750 yards) while receiving 80 fewer carries. That -- along with Johnson's paltry 13 rushes for 32 yards in last year's wild-card playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts -- shows you that there was more wrong with the Chiefs' offense than just Green.

Sure, Chiefs backup QB Damon Huard came in and played well at first after Green went down in Week 1. After teams caught on to Huard's tendencies and Chiefs offensive coordinator Mike Solari's insanely predictable play-calling, however, Huard struggled. Miami's fans can attest to that after witnessing Huard stumble during a loss at Dolphin Stadium during Week 10 of '06.

Green's receivers and defense were also inferior to what the Dolphins now boast, for the most part. Wideout Eddie Kennison is a pretty good player, but a Chris Chambers-Marty Booker combo is easy to take over a Kennison-Samie Parker one. The Dolphins' front seven also blows away what the Chiefs had up front defensively during Green's tenure. If the secondary plays even adequately, Green will likely play alongside a better defense then he ever did as a Chief.

I'd be a fool to ignore tight end Tony Gonzalez and Johnson here. As great as Gonzalez and Johnson are, and anyone with half a brain will agree that both are top-five players at worst for their respective positions, TE David Martin and RB Ronnie Brown certainly possess talent. There isn't quite as big of a drop-off at RB and TE as one might expect, especially with rookie runner Lorenzo Booker now in the fold. Booker could be what San Diego Chargers RB Michael Turner was for Cameron last year -- a home-run hitter off the sideline.

The offensive line might be able to jell into a better or at least similar unit than the Chiefs fielded a year ago. If that happens, Green has a shot at putting up another fine season. He doesn't have Gonzalez and Johnson on board, but the Dolphins possess several other strengths that the '06 Chiefs didn't -- most notably a great offensive play-caller in Cameron, whom Green already has a great relationship with.

Green's most glaring weakness, other than his statue-like mobility, is his confidence. Sometimes he telegraphed passes thinking that he could beat defenders and didn't. Other times he overestimated his arm strength, and the speed of Chiefs receivers, and threw long interceptions. Cameron can likely help Green mask these deficiencies, as Solari's predecessor, Al Saunders, did while he was with the Chiefs.

Unfortunately, that hit may have rattled Green's cage for good. Too many QBs -- from Steve Young to Troy Aikman -- get rocked like that and come back as an inferior, timid player. There comes a point in every good QB's and kick returner's career when they decide that they don't want to absorb hits any more. Trent Green has perhaps reached that point. Miami had better hope not.

Trent Green is a 37 year old QB that is coming off a serious concussion, it's not the best of ideas to rely solely on him to lead your team into the season. When a player suffers a concussion, he is more likely to suffer another and possibly more severe head injury. Some people don't even need to sustain another trauma to the head to suffer another concussion. There have been documented cases of people having a reaccurance just from sneezing, coughing and getting out of bed too quickly.

If the Phins were going to keep Culpepper, I wouldn't have a problem with them giving Green a shot. But with Pep gone, the only options are John Beck, who I feel will be a great QB because he fits Cameron's mold (accurate, smart, great field vision, quick release), but I don't think that he'll be ready to step in if Green gets hurt. Cleo Lemon is the other option, and while he is a very servicable QB that will keep you in a game, he isn't the type of QB that will get you to the playoffs or even win a game single-handedly.

For the 1st time this offseason, I'm concerned that the Phins made the wrong decision.

Archived