Jeter as Captain

LionelRichie

after it took paul quantril to sac up and go after the tigers i got to thinking about the overall attitude and demeanor of the team.

what is everyone's take on Jeter as Yankee captain?

personally, i think jeter has become too 'professional' and doesn't have that edge to him to fire up the team. when he was younger and the veterans led he had more fire than he does today.

paul oneil was one of my all-time favorites. guys like him and martinez wouldn't take something like arod getting hit. remember the oriole game (97 or 98?) when tino got beaned by benitez (i think) and the benches cleared, and then straw absolutely unloaded on benitez? this team would never do that, and that is the biggest difference b/w the yankees of today and the championship yankees. just my 2 cents.

the whole "captain" thing in baseball is vastly overrated. Its tough to motivate a team that spends 9 months together and plays 162 games, 81 away from home.

Football needs captains. Hockey needs captains. Basketball needs captains.

Baseball is far more an individual sport than those others. Teamsmanship is much more valued in other types of competition.

At the major league level, the "C" on the jersey is pure ball-washing

Let's see here, Jeter is a class act who lays it on the line every play. He leads by example, and is a true professional. I think what you are asking for is a Teammate to wear an "E" on their jersey, as the designated ENFORCER

At the major league level, the "C" on the jersey is pure ball-washing
the yankee captain's don't wear "C's" on their jerseys. never have, never will. backwoods boston does. they think it looks wicked cool!! PS any truth to schilling getting an "A" on his jersey when his fat a$$ comes back??

the yankee captain's don't wear "C's" on their jerseys. never have, never will. backwoods boston does. they think it looks wicked cool!! PS any truth to schilling getting an "A" on his jersey when his fat a$$ comes back??

No, but the Boston bullpen has to wear "EX." on their jerseys for EXPOSED

He leads by example, and he talks the talk and walks the walk.

Do I wish he would be alittle more louder? yeah, but sometimes that can be a bad thing.

:shock:

Where was Jeter when the Sox started lobbing insults at A-Rod?

His lack of words spoke volumes. I do not care if he hates A-Rod, A_Rod is his teammate for the forseeable future and if he let's any other team take shots without saying something back, especially a team that just rolled you in 4 straight playoff games, he is displaying a lack of leadership.

He set a horrible example. The next player might see Jeter not coming to A-Rod's defense as a sign that he might not have his back and that can have terrible effects.

Yes, he might set the example, but you can not pick and choose your spots to be the Captain. It is all or nothing.

His lack of words spoke volumes. I do not care if he hates A-Rod, A_Rod is his teammate for the forseeable future and if he let's any other team take shots without saying something back, especially a team that just rolled you in 4 straight playoff games, he is displaying a lack of leadership.

He set a horrible example. The next player might see Jeter not coming to A-Rod's defense as a sign that he might not have his back and that can have terrible effects.

Yes, he might set the example, but you can not pick and choose your spots to be the Captain. It is all or nothing.

Jeter did the right thing. The sox were being childish, and if Jeter stooped to their level it would just be worse for the team. Nixon?? please, lol.

Correct. In fact Jeter's favorite line when asked if the current team be it 2001,2002, 2003 or 2004 can go all the way is always " don't know about this group" as if hey its not my fault we haven't won since 2000.

He is far too quick to associate himself with the 96-00 teams rather then Captain this team to a title.

Can I take this opportunity to say that both Jose Reyes and David Wright are better baseball players tghan Derek Jeter?

You must be the most retarded person ever to sit in front of a computer.

Jeter did the right thing. The sox were being childish, and if Jeter stooped to their level it would just be worse for the team. Nixon?? please, lol.

That is the point.

He did not have to sink down to the level of Millar and the others.

He could have said, "We do our talking on the field and all these comments seem childish."

He comes to the defense of a fellow Yankee. One of the more maligned Yankees in recent history and he takes the high road while doing it.

Again, he did not have to tongue A-Rod, but he needed to draw a line in the sand and protect 'his' players.

I know you can relate to this, it is one thing if the family/team FFFs with one of their own members, but someone outside the circle is another matter altogether.

Correct. In fact Jeter's favorite line when asked if the current team be it 2001,2002, 2003 or 2004 can go all the way is always " don't know about this group" as if hey its not my fault we haven't won since 2000.

He is far too quick to associate himself with the 96-00 teams rather then Captain this team to a title.

When has he ever said that?? :shock:

It might not look good in quotes, but it serves up some motivation to his fellow teamates to play hard and "hey, it's not gonna be easy" type of thing...

Archived