Schilling return possible after All- Star Break

faba

Schilling return may be distant

By Tony Massarotti

Thursday, May 26, 2005 - Updated: 06:52 AM EST

TORONTO - Four weeks after going on the disabled list, Curt Schilling [stats, news] once again played catch prior to last night's game at the Rogers Centre. And while the Sox continue to say little about the projected return date of their ace, the team has long had a target in mind.

The All-Star break.

According to sources, Schilling was told roughly a month ago that he could need up to 12 weeks to recover from an ankle ailment that forced him to the disabled list on April 29. Based on that time frame, Schilling could be out until the middle or end of July, leaving the Sox with a rotation of Bronson Arroyo [stats, news], Matt Clement [stats, news], Wade Miller [stats, news], Tim Wakefield [stats, news] and David Wells [stats, news] in the interim.

While the Sox are holding out some hope that Schilling could return sooner, the club is not likely to take any chances by rushing him. When Schilling landed on the disabled list last month, after all, he acknowledged that his current ailment may have been a result of trying to come back too soon.

Schilling, who has not been speaking with reporters of late, declined to address the projected schedule for his return.

According to sources, however, Sox medical officials initially told both the pitcher and team management that Schilling's ailment could sideline him anywhere from 2-12 weeks, an extremely broad range. And while the Sox and Schilling originally expressed optimism that his recovery time would lean more toward the minimum, it is now becoming apparent that his rehab will skew closer to the maximum.

Though Schilling has begun playing long toss in recent days, he still has a long way to go before he is ready to pitch. He must sufficiently rebuild the strength in his ankle and begin throwing off a mound again, then progress to the point where he can face hitters and, ultimately, pitch in a game.

Once those things occur, Schilling would need additional time to rehabilitate, presumably on a minor league assignment.

Schilling's current ankle problems can be traced back, at least in part, to the injury he pitched through during the 2004 postseason. Schilling underwent surgery shortly after the season and was unable to conduct his normal offseason workout program, setting him back before spring training even began.

Schilling was also on sports talk radio yesterday morning saying that he really couldn't tell yet when he would make his return but he was projecting mid-to late June.

The man loves the drama and attention, that's for sure.

Massarotti is a pretty decent baseball guy, but like most reporteres, he twists things. The article states that Schilling hasn't spoken to reporters. That would be half correct. He hasn't spoken to print media. TV and radio? Please.....you can't go a day without hearing a Curt Schilling interview soundbite.

What Massarotti also failed to mention is that Shill's return has a lot to do with finding the right shoe that can handle his power pitching and not aggravate/pain the healing (healed?) injury. During yesterday's interview on WEEI, Schilling informed that nothing that has been created thus far has worked. He said he is looking for something that he described as a "stable platform" - whatever that means.

If Boston is going to make the playoffs they really need Schilling at top of their rotation ASAP-the competition for the wildcard is looking to be pretty tough if you do not win your division

Agreed, Faba. Plus, there's just something off-center about this group of "off-center" individuals. That CRUCIAL chemistry the Red Sox team possessed last year is lacking this year. Kevin Millar is pouty, Tito gives that donkey WAY toom any chances to redeem hismelf. Boomer sucks, Manny can't hit lefties yet, Trot is gimpy, Rentaria is s-lo-w-l-y coming around. The bullpen has it's moments - but that group it really not a worry. I like Timlin and Embry especially. Although I still say I'm not worried overall, I am worried about the Sox closer. Something is up. I don't understand how someone who has been doing the same thing for many years, suddenly has problems with his mechanics. Geez - you'd think you were talking about me and my lost golf swing! :lol:

I read in the paper today Foulkes was going to Alabama to that sports institute where they study and analyze your delivery.

Rick Peterson the former pitching coach of the Oakland and now with the Mets is big on that place

I read in the paper today Foulkes was going to Alabama to that sports institute where they study and analyze your delivery.

Rick Peterson the former pitching coach of the Oakland and now with the Mets is big on that place

I still do not understand how you mess-up something that you've been doing for close to forever....unless it needs to change 'cause hitters have it fgured out?

I know little to nothing about the real nuances of baseball. Why does this (mechanical problems) happen?

If Boston is going to make the playoffs they really need Schilling at top of their rotation ASAP-the competition for the wildcard is looking to be pretty tough if you do not win your division

Maybe, but the Sox, as Damon correctly said are a bad baseball team right now, are only 1.5 games out of the wildcard with 117 games left.

ANy playoff run without a relatively healthy Schilling is going to be short. If the bats and bullpen start doing their jobs, we can wait for Schil.

Archived