Laveranues Coles vs. Jerricho Cotchery

So I'm sitting here a tad hungover on a Saturday morning thinking about the Jets before I head off to work and thinking about possible training camp battles. Well, here's one I'm sure not a lot of people have discussed:

Laveranues Coles vs. Jerricho Cotchery for the No.1 Wide Receiver position.

Now, yes I know Eric Mangini comes from the Bill Belichick tree and like Belichick really does not name his #1's, 2's, etc., but in Jets fans' minds, who do you believe is the No.1 Wide Receiver of the New York Jets? I'm going to go out on a small limb here and put in my two cents in saying that I believe it is Jerricho Cotchery.

Laveranues Coles has been one of my favorite Jets since his breakout season in 2002, and even before that I liked the tough grabs he made in '00 and '01. LC is a very good possession receiver, has been selected to the Pro Bowl, and has numerous 80+ reception seasons.

Jerricho Cotchery had his breakout season last year and received a contract extension, far less money then what Laveranues got to leave the Jets to Washington after his breakout season, and still makes money off that deal to this date, even with the Jets restructing it a little.

Cotchery in my opinion has the ability to stretch the field. To go deep, to go over the middle. Slants, posts, deep routes, etc. Whatever you want from a Wide Receiver, I believe you can find in Jerricho. Laveranues is more of a possesion receiver whose best comes when he is catching the short routes and getting the tough yards after the catch, or when he goes over the middle in traffic and Pennington kills him at least 15 times a year, yet always bounces back up.

There is no doubting Laveranues' toughness and his consistent good hands, but Jerricho Cotchery is the kind of guy who can stretch the field and can make plays farther down the field and could be a very reliable deep threat. Now with Chad Pennington at Quarterback it may take a while to witness the true ability of Jerricho. But, either way, in 2007, I would like to see the ball thrown in the direction of Cotchery more so than Laveranues.

JetNation, What do you think?

Maybe he did, but I thought it was more along the lines of a 4.3, but who knows. Either way, thats a 40 yard dash in perfect dome conditions in Indianapolis while wearing an Under Armor T-shirt & shorts. What you do on the football field shows your true speed and Cotchery, I believe, has the better ability to stretch the field and be a play maker.

Coles is possibly the best route runner in the game. His hands, feet and rapport with Chad make him the biggest recieving enemy on our team. But I do like the toughness both players bring to the table.

Talent-wise I think the nod goes to LC, barring injury concerns I think he garnishes more trade-value than Cotchery; while that may be due to Cotchery "flying under the radar" I gaurantee every team we play will have done their homework on him. Meaning he's good, but he's not really a secret anymore.

I'm not really sure at which point a #1 becomes selected the "#1", especially in our offense that features a LOT of pre-snap movement. I would think the defense kinda picks our best reciever (by putting their best CB on him). For the time being, I think DC's would be dumb to not cover Coles with that man.

Coles is possibly the best route runner in the game. His hands, feet and rapport with Chad make him the biggest recieving enemy on our team. But I do like the toughness both players bring to the table.

Talent-wise I think the nod goes to LC, barring injury concerns I think he garnishes more trade-value than Cotchery; while that may be due to Cotchery "flying under the radar" I gaurantee every team we play will have done their homework on him. Meaning he's good, but he's not really a secret anymore.

I'm not really sure at which point a #1 becomes selected the "#1", especially in our offense that features a LOT of pre-snap movement. I would think the defense kinda picks our best reciever (by putting their best CB on him). For the time being, I think DC's would be dumb to not cover Coles with that man.

Lets not go that far, I mean Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt blow him outta the water on that one. Toughness-wise I think Coles is a hell of a player. I'm a huge fan of Cotchery but I don't know if he can cut it being a pure #1 guy. I don't see the tangibles where he can break away from #1 CBs and make coordinators focus on his pure skills and his ability to hurt you. Look at somebody like T.O or Randy Moss (in his prime).

Personally I think one needs the other for both of them to be successful. Remove Cotch with the other WRs we have and Pennington will have to look toward check downs and Baker to take the pressure off. Remove Coles, I think teams would need just to focus in on the run game.

Coles is the #1. The reason I say this is that while what you say about Cotchery is true, he's tall, fast, and has good hands, if you look back at last season, there's NO WAY in hell that we would've come even close to the playoffs if it weren't for Coles. While Cotchery is a very good player with a lot of promise, he's still not anywhere close to being the clutch reciever that Coles is. In other words, while you sit here in the offseason talking about how Cotchery is the more versatile reciever better at stretching defenses, I know that like all Jets fans, there's one player that you want Pennington throwing the ball to late in the 4th Qtr with the game on the line...Laverneus Coles.

Also, although he doesn't get a lot of credit for it, LC may have one of, if not the best combination of quickness, athletic ability, and hands over any other reciever in the league. That type of reciever is VITAL for the success of the west coast, short passing game type offenses like the Jets. Cotchery would probably be the better option for a team lead by a QB with a good arm who can consistently get the ball downfield then Coles would be. However, Coles is definately the better WR for this offense.

Coles is definitely the #1.

Not only is he a great route runner, and one of the toughest WR's in the league, he is also blazing fast.

He ran a 4.34 when he was at FSU. He was actually a RB. FSU had Peter Warwick at the time, and the decided to move Coles to WR because of his tremendous speed. He was mostly used as a decoy, that had to be covered deep to spring Warwick free underneath.

Warwick was the "star" at the time, and Coles was the fast guy. That's why when Warwick and Coles got in trouble for shoplifting, even though it was Warwick's girlfriend who was giving them the "free" clothes, it was Coles who was thrown under the bus, and kicked out of the program.

Cotchery is a great compliment to Coles, and an excellent receiver in his own right, but Coles speed keeps D's honest.

Cotcherry has had one breakout year and how many has LC had? I think JC is a good compliment to Coles who is a legitmate proven #1. Both are good but JC has to do it for more than one year. Also if and when the Jets get rid of Coles which is probably next year can Cotcherry take over the #1 without a very good complimentary wr to pair with?

The Cotch needs a couple more games under his belt to be seriously considered for the number one spot which L.C. holds and deserves. I mean Cotch is a great reciever so far, but no way is he number one or even up for it. Come back from that limb you went out on and get down the tree before you get hurt. Thats a pretty flimsy branch to put your wieght on brother....

I believe Chad Pennington took a pay cut for a reason inorder to help Coles return as a Jet. Coles is the #1 on this Jets team. But as a fan, I'm really starting to think we just may have two #1 WR's. But someone has to play the left side, and it just happens to be Cotch who will have his time as the "Go-2" WR with this Jets team.

this debate is absurd.

coles has proven himself and jericho so far had a few bright spots but has a long way to go before even being considered a real threat

man jet fans want to believe anything and everything

That's unfair. We just hold a few die hard beliefs about things.

googleMoon.jpg

tough call here. Im a little surprised to see so many Jet fans picking Coles as if it was a slam dunk. I think its pretty close. I see them as 1a and 1b. Cotchery getting a contract extension, and seeing what I saw from him last year, makes me think that in another year or two he may be the Jets#1 wr. Both wrs are very good as both deep threats and possesion types

Laveranues Coles = 1b

Jerricho Cotchery = 2a

Close but Coles is on that next level, although that's not to say Cotchery doesn't have the ability to get there. Jerricho certainly has the potential and this season will be very telling on how close he is to fulfilling that potential.

Archived