Kendall story from the Times

faba

Kendall May Hold Out for Restructured Contract function

By KAREN CROUSE

Published: July 26, 2007

The Jets open training camp tomorrow on Long Island, and left guard Pete Kendall, who has been vocal in his displeasure over his contract, said yesterday that he did not know if he would be there.

N.F.L.

Reached by telephone yesterday at his off-season home in Weymouth, Mass., Kendall initially declined to comment but later said, “I don’t know what I’m going to do.” He added: “I’m not trying to issue any threats or ultimatums. I know it’s the 11th hour.”

Kendall, a 12-year veteran who turned 34 this month, is due to make $1.7 million this year after averaging $3 million the previous three seasons. He is seeking to have the four-year deal he signed last season restructured so that he will be paid $2.7 million in 2007.

After reworking his contract last year at the Jets’ request, Kendall, who played well in 14 starts in 2006, expected the team to return the favor. In separate meetings with General Manager Mike Tannenbaum and Coach Eric Mangini in March, Kendall said he was left with the distinct impression that his salary situation would be redressed.

In an interview last month, Kendall said: “I’d be lying if I said they promised in March that we’re going to do this. But from everybody’s body language and the things that were said, it really seemed to indicate to me that something was going to get worked out.”

When the draft came and went and his contract was the same, Kendall, one of last year’s offensive captains, stopped attending voluntary workouts. He showed up in June at the veteran minicamp, where he made his frustration plain, saying he had asked to be traded or released.

After playing a prominent role last year in the development of the rookie linemen D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold, Kendall found himself working with the second team during minicamp. The candidates to replace Kendall, if it were to come to that, include Adrien Clarke, who started four games for Philadelphia in his first two seasons, and Matt McChesney, a converted defensive tackle.

On the second floor of the Jets’ practice facility in Hempstead, N.Y., where the coaches and front-office personnel are based, the belief persists that Kendall is posturing for a raise to earn his release so that he can sign with another team, possibly his hometown New England Patriots.

“I think that’s a huge stretch,” Kendall said.

Speaking through Jets spokesmen, Mangini and Tannenbaum declined comment. Kendall was displeased by what he said were inaccuracies floated to the news media by team sources, specifically that he had the option of signing a one-year contract last year but opted for the security of the four-year deal.

A one-year deal was never on the table, Kendall said last month. “I guess I was naïve,” said Kendall, who filled in at center for the Jets in 2005. “I thought by doing everything I could for the organization, going back and changing positions, restructuring my contract, trying to work as best I could with two young players to make their transition to the N.F.L. easier, that I could expect the team to do something fair for me.”

He added, “It’s just another reminder in a long list you can never expect a team to do the right thing out of the goodness of their hearts.”

Extra Points

Linebacker David Harris, the Jets’ second-round pick, signed a four-year contract yesterday. The 6-foot-2, 243-pound Harris was the 47th overall pick and was expected to add depth to the Jets’ linebacking corps.(AP)

easy there Tabor, seems to me he did some things for the Jets and now was hoping that they would return the favor. I would love to see how people in the real world would act in this situation. Work your ass for your boss, do extra projects and then when others are making more money ask for raise and get the door shut in your face... how would you react? Sure we are talking about millions here but that is the world they live in financially. Dont give me that contract nonsense as in professional sports they mean next to nothing

What gets overlooked is that he GOT paid. When one signs a new contract or restructures an old one then said player gets a signing bonus.

Kendall is making it out like the signing bonus he received should be swept under the rug, and only concentrate on the lowered base salary a year later. But that was the point. He could have taken less SB and more salary; the extra million he was seeking. But he'd have been an idiot to throw away $1M in up-front money in exchange for $1M future salary money. That is the choice he made; to sign this contract in an open market. He could have tested the waters; he chose the security of a sure-thing 4-year contract from the Jets.

Now he's bitching & moaning over only making like $2M to play friggin' football in the NFL (which any of us would do for FREE if we had the talent & the means). And now we're to believe that he is to be sympathized with as though he had a gun to his head to sign this contract, or because someone in a board room winked at him about being taken care of?

The Jets are not so evil as they are being made out to be in these proceedings. Kendall signed a new contract one - ONE - year ago. So ONE year into his new contract he wants to restructure? The Jets would have to be the dumbest franchise in the league to cave in to that; you're basically ASKING for the other players on the team to point to Kendall & say that he was given such-and-such. Never mind the potential media-fodder agents for non-white players would use for giving such an unprecedented raise after ONE year to a member of the racial majority but not to their racial-minority player. Un-p.c. I know, but in hindsight you figure a franchise should have seen that coming. Agents are slime & would use this in a heartbeat.

No WAY the Jets could do this. Sure we may lose Kendall a season or two before we ultimately wished. But caving in to his demands - again, ONE season into a new contract - could do far more damage to the franchise long term with many players.

What gets overlooked is that he GOT paid

bottom line right there...hey let'em take the 14,000 a day hit for not showing up to TC..The Jets FO CANNOT open up that Pandora's box..cannot

man that really puts it in perspective Glenn...you hear numbers like a million here and a million there being thrown around and guys like us have no friggin clue what it really is....14 grand a day? STFU and get on the field

Now he's bitching & moaning over only making like $2M to play friggin' football in the NFL (which any of us would do for FREE if we had the talent & the means).

No major problem with Sperm's post. I basically agree, except that I would have probably ended up giving Pete some small bump because I believe he'd be the cheapest and best option for '07. Can't cave in now, or the FO will look very weak.

My only problem is with the portion above. I see people post this all the time and frankly I think it's crap. Sure we'd play for free in the NFL if all we had to do was show up on Sunday and lay some wood, but would any of us put in the time necessary to become physical freaks of nature? Lifting and doing speed work constantly? Two a days in August and being berated by some fat piece of **** has been or never was if we can't get on the field for one stinking practice? Not to mention the risks of concussion and the dangers of having to use the "chemical advantage".

If somebody really likes to cook and would do it for free does that mean Bobby Flay shouldn't get a pay check? Or he shouldn't complain if Mel over at the diner is getting paid about the same?

No major problem with Sperm's post. I basically agree, except that I would have probably ended up giving Pete some small bump because I believe he'd be the cheapest and best option for '07. Can't cave in now, or the FO will look very weak.

My only problem is with the portion above. I see people post this all the time and frankly I think it's crap. Sure we'd play for free in the NFL if all we had to do was show up on Sunday and lay some wood, but would any of us put in the time necessary to become physical freaks of nature? Lifting and doing speed work constantly? Two a days in August and being berated by some fat piece of **** has been or never was if we can't get on the field for one stinking practice? Not to mention the risks of concussion and the dangers of having to use the "chemical advantage".

If somebody really likes to cook and would do it for free does that mean Bobby Flay shouldn't get a pay check? Or he shouldn't complain if Mel over at the diner is getting paid about the same?

Kids in college do it for free; some even pay for the privilege.

And being a cook for a living can be horrible. Working Fri-Sat-Sun at least 50 weekends a year. There isn't enough money for that.

Kids in college do it for free; some even pay for the privilege.

And being a cook for a living can be horrible. Working Fri-Sat-Sun at least 50 weekends a year. There isn't enough money for that.

I really like dominator's point. not to get in a philisophical debate about it, but maybe the smartest person i know works as a chef now. sure he coughs of the weekends, but he freakin loves it. its just not for everyone (i know you said 'can be horrible', just adding my 2 cents).

you see guys in the NFL that probably would play for free, they are few and far between, but they do exist.

As kendall goes, we all know he is not going to get his raise. Everything else mangini has done with this team has followed NE. NE does not give out free raises to over the hill players.

Are you Pete Kendall? I don't give a **** if Mangini is a fat piece of **** and never made it to the NFL, he IS THE HEAD COACH. Like Kendall is some stellar athlete anyway, but, are you friggin Pete Kendall, wishing for the glory days of BBQs by Herm and money being thrown around by Bradway? Quit bitching Kendall, you are an aged veteran and I would kill to be paid $14 000 a day to go to conditioning and camps. Anyway, "celebrity" chefs, especially Emeril don't even cook that much, they just make their TV appearances and oversee others in a kitchen during some big to do.

Are you Pete Kendall? I don't give a **** if Mangini is a fat piece of **** and never made it to the NFL, he IS THE HEAD COACH. Like Kendall is some stellar athlete anyway, but, are you friggin Pete Kendall, wishing for the glory days of BBQs by Herm and money being thrown around by Bradway? Quit bitching Kendall, you are an aged veteran and I would kill to be paid $14 000 a day to go to conditioning and camps. Anyway, "celebrity" chefs, especially Emeril don't even cook that much, they just make their TV appearances and oversee others in a kitchen during some big to do.

WTF does Pete Kendall have to do with my point? I said I agreed with Sperm about Kendall. I didn't agree that the fact that people (us) would do it for free is a reason players should keep their mouth shut. Kendall should keep his mouth shut because he signed a deal on the open market and the oral agreement he thought he had isn't worth the paper it's written on.

You would kill to be paid $14,000/day to go to conditioning camps? Killing is easy. I could kill people all day. Get your body into NFL shape. Make sure you are strong and fast enough to handle the NFL. That's what's tough. I used to think I'd do it for free too. That the only reason that I never made it was that I was too small. Then one day I met a guy who was a starter in the ACC. Somebody's great-nephew (one of the original Knicks I think). We were talking football and he made me realize that despite all I'd put into playing football I didn't make half the sacrifices necessary to say I truly gave it my best shot.

As for he fact that Mangini IS THE HEAD COACH (talk about never was') I was thinking more generally and if I meant anybody specific it was Parcells hitting Chrebet's injured ankle with the cane or calling Terry Glenn "she". Fact is, if you never played for an ******* coach you've probably never played football.

PS: Sperm, chefs can have horrible lives, yet I know people that start catering companies and restaurants because they love it so much.

I think the Jets should pay him.

It's total hypocrisy from every team in the league that they won't give a player a raise during a a contract, but not a single team -including the Jets- would hesitate to ask a player to take a paycut regardless of where he was in his deal.

No Pandora's box is opened here. Each case can be taken individually. Kendall's been a solid team player, helping and covering for two guys making a lot more money than he is. He's critical to the OL, which has problems even if he comes back. In NFL terms, $1M isn't a boatload of cash, and Kendall would certainly be worth what he's asking for if he was on the open market. Maybe not today, but certainly back before the draft.

Why not reward the guys who're worth it? They could skim $500K a piece from J-mac and Barrett to pay him. They wouldn't miss it and don't deserve it. Pete does.

Why not reward the guys who're worth it? They could skim $500K a piece from J-mac and Barrett to pay him. They wouldn't miss it and don't deserve it. Pete does.

Pete was worth it 3 years ago. He's not anymore.

you can't just renegotiate everyone's contract because you want to pay someone else more. Not to mention we have plenty of cap to pay the guy, fact is, he's not worth it.

I think the Jets should pay him.

It's total hypocrisy from every team in the league that they won't give a player a raise during a a contract, but not a single team -including the Jets- would hesitate to ask a player to take a paycut regardless of where he was in his deal.

No Pandora's box is opened here. Each case can be taken individually. Kendall's been a solid team player, helping and covering for two guys making a lot more money than he is. He's critical to the OL, which has problems even if he comes back. In NFL terms, $1M isn't a boatload of cash, and Kendall would certainly be worth what he's asking for if he was on the open market. Maybe not today, but certainly back before the draft.

He just signed a new deal, and got a new signing bonus... he already got paid... and is now getting greedy... he knew he was penciled in as the starter and is trying to use that as leverage...

Let me make up a fake example here....

Lets say Mangold turned out to be a project... and Kendall was the starting Center last season... with Mangold behind him on the depth chart, do you think Kendall would be doing this? NO! Its because he has NOBODY breathing down his neck to steal his spot... thats why Mangini tried to give the image that he was replaceable by working him with the 2nd team...

WTF does Pete Kendall have to do with my point? I said I agreed with Sperm about Kendall. I didn't agree that the fact that people (us) would do it for free is a reason players should keep their mouth shut. Kendall should keep his mouth shut because he signed a deal on the open market and the oral agreement he thought he had isn't worth the paper it's written on.

You would kill to be paid $14,000/day to go to conditioning camps? Killing is easy. I could kill people all day. Get your body into NFL shape. Make sure you are strong and fast enough to handle the NFL. That's what's tough. I used to think I'd do it for free too. That the only reason that I never made it was that I was too small. Then one day I met a guy who was a starter in the ACC. Somebody's great-nephew (one of the original Knicks I think). We were talking football and he made me realize that despite all I'd put into playing football I didn't make half the sacrifices necessary to say I truly gave it my best shot.

As for he fact that Mangini IS THE HEAD COACH (talk about never was') I was thinking more generally and if I meant anybody specific it was Parcells hitting Chrebet's injured ankle with the cane or calling Terry Glenn "she". Fact is, if you never played for an ******* coach you've probably never played football.

PS: Sperm, chefs can have horrible lives, yet I know people that start catering companies and restaurants because they love it so much.

Yeah, I just knew two people - one who went to some ultra fancy shmancy culinary school - who both quit b/c of the hours. They LOVED to cook but hated the job. 10,000 degrees in the kitchen plus every Fri/Sat/Sun. Some LOVE it I'm sure, but let's just be diplomatic & say it wouldn't be for me.

I'd totally forgotten about the Chrebet thing. What was the other one? Didn't he also surprise-poke/jab Foley in the ribs when he said he was feeling better? Lol, what an a-hole. At least he was a funny a-hole.

And F-Kendall if he holds out because he's only making $1.7M instead of $2.7M. What is he, down to 278 lbs now anyway?

easy there Tabor, seems to me he did some things for the Jets and now was hoping that they would return the favor. I would love to see how people in the real world would act in this situation. Work your ass for your boss, do extra projects and then when others are making more money ask for raise and get the door shut in your face... how would you react? Sure we are talking about millions here but that is the world they live in financially. Dont give me that contract nonsense as in professional sports they mean next to nothing

Tyson -- Please make sure you are prepared and know all the facts before debating here. Kendall should know that blocking for Chad is a honor. Some people just don't get it, lol.

GgyEK5BOYys

I can't afford to feed my family on only $1.7M!!!!

Sprewell said that a few years back, and the newscaster asked a homeless guy what he thought about Spree not being able to feed his family on 8Mil per year.

bum "he needs help managing his money"

:rl:

i love these guys, making 1 Mil per year (20,000 per week) are struggling to get by. allow me to shed a tear in their honor.

I like how he turns:

"Take a paycut or you're out, like your buddy Mawae"

into

"I restructured at their request and did everything I could for them, I expected them to treat me better."

We coulda had MJ Gilles next to Brick, with the Brick-Gilles-Mangold side going into their second year of working as a unit. Now we have an undersized LT, no LG, and our right side is still weak.

Archived