Jets | Length of contract may be sticking point for Revis

Smizzy

Jets | Length of contract may be sticking point for Revis

Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:48:06 -0700

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the sticking point for the New York Jets to get first-round draft choice CB Darrelle Revis signed may be the length of the contract. The Jets want to sign Revis to a six-year deal, while Revis is looking for a five-year deal.

Get it done and get in camp man!!!

anybody else notice how it's this one year that is the sticking point in these negotiations? Same as Kendall-they both have the same guy representing them-give on Revis hold and hold tight on Kendall-a little give and take-we need to see if Revis is going to be as good as we all hope he will be

The Jets move up to 14 to grab this kid, he cries when he is selected, and he wont sign to six as apposed to five; I f'ing hate sports agents sometimes. I know if the kid is all he is cracked up to be, then he is wise to keep it to five, but give me a break! :ahhh:

Come on...whats one year? Just make the last year an option out year. Get it done already.

That sixth year is a big deal. If Revis lives up to expectations then signing a 6 year deal is not in his best interest.

Deon Branch signed a 6 year deal and look what happened with him.

It's not like players live up to their contract demands anyway. If he doesn't get a contract-extension in four years then he's a wasted draft pick, his best interest is to sign the six, and we need to hope he doesn't get injured.

As for the FO's perspective, our moving up to get him is the equivalent of two draft picks. He needs to be as good as two-players. Six years is a reasonable expectation for what we paid (draft wise) to get him.

Player perspective: he needs some escalator incentives to allow him the time to prove his worth, and some front loaded benefits to the deal.

Ultimately, a player can become a FA after what, four years (???) His attitude, and the team's direction can affect his placement after then.

It's not like players live up to their contract demands anyway. If he doesn't get a contract-extension in four years then he's a wasted draft pick, his best interest is to sign the six, and we need to hope he doesn't get injured.

As for the FO's perspective, our moving up to get him is the equivalent of two draft picks. He needs to be as good as two-players. Six years is a reasonable expectation for what we paid (draft wise) to get him.

Player perspective: he needs some escalator incentives to allow him the time to prove his worth, and some front loaded benefits to the deal.

Ultimately, a player can become a FA after what, four years (???) His attitude, and the team's direction can affect his placement after then.

I don't know about that. It is a big deal. Don't need to give him a new contract for 5 years at the earliest with a 6-year deal. Also, if his contract demands are way out of whack, we get him for (relatively) cheap for 6 full seasons. If he needs to get franchised, it wouldn't be until 7 seasons from now.

He's right around the cutoff where guys start to get 5 year deals instead of 6. Past bunch of #14 picks were

2003 Michael Haynes: 6 years

2004 Tommie Harris: 5 years

2005 Thomas Davis: 5 years

2006 Broderick Bunkley: 6 years

So neither side is really being a hard-on here. Jets are not out of line wanting a 6-year deal & Revis isn't out of line wanting it to be only 5.

If it wasn't a big deal, it would have been done already.

Look what happened to the Giants with Eli. He got an opt-out after 5 years so the Giants had to either cut bait before entering his prime (assuming he ever has one) or overpay (again) for a guy who may never get it together.

I'm sure the Jets would like to avoid this with Revis.

I don't know about that. It is a big deal. Don't need to give him a new contract for 5 years at the earliest with a 6-year deal. Also, if his contract demands are way out of whack, we get him for (relatively) cheap for 6 full seasons. If he needs to get franchised, it wouldn't be until 7 seasons from now.

He's right around the cutoff where guys start to get 5 year deals instead of 6. Past bunch of #14 picks were

2003 Michael Haynes: 6 years

2004 Tommie Harris: 5 years

2005 Thomas Davis: 5 years

2006 Broderick Bunkley: 6 years

So neither side is really being a hard-on here. Jets are not out of line wanting a 6-year deal & Revis isn't out of line wanting it to be only 5.

If it wasn't a big deal, it would have been done already.

Look what happened to the Giants with Eli. He got an opt-out after 5 years so the Giants had to either cut bait before entering his prime (assuming he ever has one) or overpay (again) for a guy who may never get it together.

I'm sure the Jets would like to avoid this with Revis.

With Revis the Jets would like to avoid any comparison to Eli Manning all together. Things like overpaid, bust etc come to mind right away with Eli.

What the Jets should do is something similar to what Cleveland just did with Joe Thomas. Make it a 5 year deal with an option for the 6th year. The thing is for Revis though, if he can perform well and live up to expectations, after 3 or 4 years he will get a new deal.

What the Jets should do is something similar to what Cleveland just did with Joe Thomas. Make it a 5 year deal with an option for the 6th year. The thing is for Revis though, if he can perform well and live up to expectations, after 3 or 4 years he will get a new deal.

I said that earlier in this thread..

I don't know how this helps the Jets more than just giving him a 5-year deal.

If he's so awful we don't want to give him a 6th year option at his request (doubt the Jets could void it after 5 yrs or there's no point to it).

If he's anything other than awful, he's going to void the 6th year anyway to get a new deal after 4, which is most likely after 2 seasons at a top level (we hope) instead of 3 if it were a 6-year deal.

Archived