Okie Doke...

Jet/BosoxFan

The other day, we were having a discussion about the undisputable ROY star relief pitcher Hideki Okajima. I referred to him as "Okie" as many, many, many other people do including Terry Francona in Wednesday's postgame interview....

I was then questioned on this by some clueless Australian Yankee fan who has NO IDEA what he is talking about. Far from an afficianado on anything Red Sox-related, he had never heard of neither this nickname, nor the outpitch he throws called the "Okie Doke"

Others, all Yankee fans whom have an agenda, chimed in needlessly. The conversation wnet to sh*t after that with hack joke after hack joke. I chose not to participate in that discussion any longer as I have NO USE for hack jokes. But to finally put the Okajima thread to rest......

Here is an offering from Wikipedia, Dingo:

*During an April 15 rainout in 2007, Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell tweaked Okajima's change-up delivery. The result was a devastating change-up with screwball motion dubbed the "Okie-Doke" by bullpen coach Gary Tuck.[13] As of May 10, 2007, the Okie-Doke has been thrown for strikes 79% of the time with hitters swinging through the pitch 14 out of 30 times.[14]

Detroit Tigers slugger Gary Sheffield declared Okajima "one of the most impressive lefties I've ever seen" with "stuff I have never seen before from anybody."[15] Yankees manager Joe Torre called Okajima "unhittable".[16]

I rest my case. As usual, I win and you lose! Nor did I make up the nickname "Okie" (that was Merle Haggard) as I was accused of in the past by a person who admittedly failed the history of Rock N Roll at Junior College!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, I didn't think you needed Gag-Me on your team, since you already had Okie-Dork.

I agree...we should be more offensively top heavy like the Yankees! All we have done this year is be in 1st place by ALOT!

Pitching is so overrated, especially dominant, Cy Young winning pitching. Clearly, we should re-upped Johnny Damon.

You should be our GM TaborJet and Theo should be getting your coffee.

I agree...we should be more offensively top heavy like the Yankees! All we have done this year is be in 1st place by ALOT!

Pitching is so overrated, especially dominant, Cy Young winning pitching. Clearly, we should re-upped Johnny Damon.

Nice touch, homo.

He really didn't bash the Red Sox on that post, he just stated an opinion, an honest one.

It seems as if you can't post a day without mentioning and/or bashing the Yankees.

If you have something you want to come out about, just tell Thor, he came out a few weeks ago, he'll walk you through the process.

Just saying that Okie is a good setup pitcher. I figured you would need some more long relief pitching for the rest of Schilling's starts.

010117-raum_leer.jpg

this is the room of people who give a ****

Mmmhmm...thats why there were PAGES of hack jokes in the last thread about 'Jima Time.

Thats why you and shadow responded within MINUTES!

Thats why all of my threads have multiple pages of replies.

I am messageboard gold because I bring up topics like this and unlike most other people who throw their uneducated opinions on internet boards like monkeys throw feces against the wall, I actually say start discussions that drive my detractors insane, then prove myself right and them wrong time after time! Thats why I am hated (and loved by the silent majority)

Just saying that Okie is a good setup pitcher. I figured you would need some more long relief pitching for the rest of Schilling's starts.

He doesn't think that anyone could talk about another team without bashing them, look how he talks about the Yankees.

Ban him now.

Mmmhmm...thats why there were PAGES of hack jokes in the last thread about 'Jima Time.

I am messageboard gold because I bring up topics like this and unlike most other people who throw their uneducated opinions on internet boards like monkeys throw feces against the wall, I actually say start discussions that drive my detractors insane, then prove myself right and them wrong time after time! Thats why I am hated (and loved by the silent majority)

Are you unbannable?

Sorry to burst your gay ass bubble but the majority of the posts in the threads you start are insulting you, not arguing with you.

Mmmkay.

you're like the kid who ate his boogers in high school, we HAVE to beat on you.

You besmirched Eric Gagne and second-guessed the trade which is something youre not allowed to do!

Yes, we took our strength and made it stronger...I love that move to tell you the truth. 6 innings is all we need/expect from our pitchers...and we get to get rid of one of the ineffective pitchers, Timlin, Snyder...etc...

It does however look like Tavarez will remain the long relief pitcher unfortunately as he would be relegated to mop-up duty on my team.

When Schill comes back healthy and rested, and Lester's stamina goes up with every start...

we're going to be nice and ready for the playoff run and beyond because of this bullpen.

Guys

JBF isn't going anywhere soon. He has toned down his personal attacks. He attacks the Yankees. Big deal. He is entitlted to that.

But to start a reply with Homo or other names is just a personal attack itself. JBF baits you guys, and you fall for it time and again. If I were JBF, I would be laughing my ass off.

Attack the teams, not the posters. Have some thick skin when it comes to reading posts on here.

Guys

JBF isn't going anywhere soon. He has toned down his personal attacks. He attacks the Yankees. Big deal. He is entitlted to that.

But to start a reply with Homo or other names is just a personal attack itself. JBF baits you guys, and you fall for it time and again. If I were JBF, I would be laughing my ass off.

Attack the teams, not the posters. Have some thick skin when it comes to reading posts on here.

You would think after that they would get it. They wont! Life is good...

You would think after that they would get it. They wont! Life is good...

As much as I try to ignore your endless drivel you make it impossible by highjacking every thread with personal insults, Yankee bashing and Red Sox ball-licking.

If all of you Skanks say you don't care about JBF, then why are threads made by him like 8 pages long. DUH!

When you get an answer to that, let me know, OK?

Maxman would be an expert on this subject. Think he might have known what he was doing when he invited me here?

As much as I try to ignore your endless drivel you make it impossible by highjacking every thread with personal insults, Yankee bashing and Red Sox ball-licking.

Excuse me...your flunkies are the ones who got reprimanded by the mod here...not me.

You dont like it, talk to them.

I love how he has NO response for being proven wrong (again) by me. Typical Yankee fan.

When Schill comes back healthy and rested, and Lester's stamina goes up with every start...

we're going to be nice and ready for the playoff run and beyond because of this bullpen.

And to think the poor bastards don;t even know they were whammied

and we get to get rid of one of the ineffective pitchers, Timlin, Snyder...etc...

It does however look like Tavarez will remain the long relief pitcher unfortunately as he would be relegated to mop-up duty on my team.

When Schill comes back healthy and rested, and Lester's stamina goes up with every start... we're going to be nice and ready for the playoff run and beyond because of this bullpen.

Some Sox fan you are. Gagne took over in the pen for Brendan Donnelly who is having Tommy John surgery. Mike Timlin is so ineffective that he hasn't give up a run in his last 16 innings dating back to June 25th, lowering his ERA to 3.31. And Snyder has been very good this season, which is reflected by his 2.68 ERA.

Tavarez is relegated to the long relief duty and the occasional spot start.

Oh just for your information, Schilling will be back Monday against the Angels.

Some Sox fan you are. Gagne took over in the pen for Brendan Donnelly who is having Tommy John surgery. Mike Timlin is so ineffective that he hasn't give up a run in his last 16 innings dating back to June 25th, lowering his ERA to 3.31. And Snyder has been very good this season, which is reflected by his 2.68 ERA.

Tavarez is relegated to the long relief duty and the occasional spot start.

Oh just for your information, Schilling will be back Monday against the Angels.

Please! Youre wrong on many levels. Youre kinda pulling a madmike here.

First, Gagne took Okie's spot, primary setup man, Okie then replaced the wide open 7th inning spot that included Donnelly, Timlin and Javier Lopez! None of those guys have pitched exceptionally well for LONG periods of time. Nobody appreciates Timlin more than I, but he has been hurt more than not this year...that was a nice 16-inning run, but he's hurting again...adios Mike! Would you let him near a big game? I wouldnt. No 3-run lead this year has been Timlin proof.

Which brings me to Kyle Snyder. First of all, ERA isnt the best measurement of a relief pitcher. Secondly his ERA benefits from the huuuuge number of inherited runners he's let score. While not an easy decision, Timlin, Snyder, or Lopez are gone, probably Mike T or Kyle S. It wont be Tavarez for many reasons, $ being one of them.

Gagne didnt replace Donnelly. The just didnt announce that BD was hurt 'til after his signing.

Some Sox fan you are! I shouldnt have to tell you this!

First, Gagne took Okie's spot, setup man, Okie then replaced the wide open 7th inning spot that included Donnelly, Timlin and Javier Lopez! None of those guys have pitched exceptionally well for LONG periods of time. Nobody appreciates Timlin more than I, but he has been hurt more than not this year...that was a nice 16-inning run, but he's hurting again...adios Mike! Would you let him near a big game? I wouldnt. No 3-run lead this year has been Timlin proof.

Which brings me to Kyle Snyder. First of all, ERA isnt the best measurement of a relief pitcher. Secondly his ERA benefits from the huuuuge number of inherited runners he's let score. While not an easy decision, Timlin, Snyder, or Lopez are gone, probably Mike T or Kyle S. It wont be Tavarez for many reasons, $ being one of them.

Gagne didnt replace Donnelly. The just didnt announce that BD was hurt 'til after his signing.

In the two games since we acquired Gagne guess who has pitched in the 8th inning with a lead? Oh that's right Hideki Okajima. The 7th inning will be for guys like Lopez, Timlin and Manny Delcarmen (you fail to mention him and he has been one of our best pitchers recently). Gagne will set up depending on the matchups and close when Paps isn't available. this is all common knowledge. Do you even watch Sox games??

They haven't pitched well for long periods of time? 16 innings over a month plus isn't a long period of time? And 7 of the 11 games in this streak he has pitched in have been 1 run games, so there goes your close or big game theory. Snyder hasn't had his ERA in any given month over 4. And he's only let 4 of 13 inherited runners score this season, just fyi and 4 more runs wouldn't shoot his era above 3.

In the two games since we acquired Gagne guess who has pitched in the 8th inning with a lead? Oh that's right Hideki Okajima. The 7th inning will be for guys like Lopez, Timlin and Manny Delcarmen (you fail to mention him and he has been one of our best pitchers recently). Gagne will set up depending on the matchups and close when Paps isn't available. this is all common knowledge. Do you even watch Sox games??

They haven't pitched well for long periods of time? 16 innings over a month plus isn't a long period of time? And 7 of the 11 games in this streak he has pitched in have been 1 run games, so there goes your close or big game theory. Snyder hasn't had his ERA in any given month over 4. And he's only let 4 of 13 inherited runners score this season, just fyi and 4 more runs wouldn't shoot his era above 3.

I dont want to kill Snyder here, nor did I think I had to extoll the virtues of MDC. Im just trying to see where youre coming from!??!!?

Are you saying Eric Gagne will accept some limited role in the bullpen? First of all, he'll close more than you think. Papelbon will no longer pitch 2 days in a row unless he throws under 20 total pitches on day 1. On days he isnt closing, he'll pitch the 8th if there is a 3-run lead or less. Tie game? He pitches the 8th over Okie, who will also BE PITCHING THE 7TH IF NEEDED. You wont see our starting pitchers throwing deep into the 7th anymore, unless the pitch count is exceptionally low or a no hitter is in place. Then in comes Okie. The Gagne, then Papelbon.

To answer youre other question, yes I saw that Okie pitched the 8th, did you see who was warming up WHILE Papelbon was closing??? How often do you see that??? Gagne will definately play a bigger role that you think, fella.

And, when Curt Schilling comes back...they arent going to carry 13 pitchers! If they do, they're stupid. So logic would dictate that one of the pitchers youre vigorously defending will be gone! I like what Snyder has done thus far, but he wont see a big spot all year therefore his value is diminished. Let me also say I dont want him gone.

I think Timlin will be back on the DL from what I am hearing.

I still dont get what youre point is here, other than to engratiate yourself to the other posters here by attacking me and saying foolish things. We didn't have Eric Gagne last month...BELIEVE ME, Bill James is crunching numbers and the bullpen is going to be vastly different. Common knowledge doesnt exist here. That was a dumb way to look at this situation...lots of factors at stake here

Archived