Okie Doke...

Jet/BosoxFan

I dont want to kill Snyder here, nor did I think I had to extoll the virtues of MDC. Im just trying to see where youre coming from!??!!?

Are you saying Eric Gagne will accept some limited role in the bullpen? First of all, he'll close more than you think. Papelbon will no longer pitch 2 days in a row unless he throws under 20 total pitches on day 1. On days he isnt closing, he'll pitch the 8th if there is a 3-run lead or less. Tie game? He pitches the 8th over Okie!

To answer youre other question, yes I saw that Okie pitched the 8th, did you see who was warming up WHILE Papelbon was closing??? How often do you see that??? Gagne will definately play a bigger role that you think, fella.

I think Gagne's role here will be varied and very important too. He'll be used in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings and I never expressed that I thought he would have a limited role. He won't be a full-time closer and he won't be a full-time set-up man. He'll do both. And Okajima will be the main go to set-up guy for both Gagne and Paps. In a tie game, the way Okajima has looked and depending on the matchups, you go with Okajima, especially since you don't want to tax the arm of Gagne either. Papelbon hasn't really pitched back to back games much this year to begin with.

Like I said, who Tito uses will heavily depend on the match-ups and who has pitched recently, etc.

Someone more than likely will have to go to the DL (Timlin) or sent down (Lopez), the Sox brass haven't had to come to that bridge yet, but they will on Monday so we should hear soon. And if it came down to Snyder and Tavarez, I'd get rid of Tavarez because Snyder can do the same job and do it better.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Gagne's role here will be varied and very important too. He'll be used in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings and I never expressed that I thought he would have a limited role. He won't be a full-time closer and he won't be a full-time set-up man. He'll do both. And Okajima will be the main go to set-up guy for both Gagne and Paps. In a tie game, the way Okajima has looked and depending on the matchups, you go with Okajima, especially since you don't want to tax the arm of Gagne either. Papelbon hasn't really pitched back to back games much this year to begin with.

Like I said, who Tito uses will heavily depend on the match-ups and who has pitched recently, etc.

Someone more than likely will have to go to the DL (Timlin) or sent down (Lopez), the Sox brass haven't had to come to that bridge yet, but they will on Monday so we should hear soon. And if it came down to Snyder and Tavarez, I'd get rid of Tavarez because Snyder can do the same job and do it better.

Youre being madmike again JUST to argue with me. Lopez isnt being sent down because he is a lefty and his ERA rivals Snyder, though I stand by my assertion that ERA isnt the best way to measure a relief pitcher but you seem married to it...so there you have it.

It wont be Tavarez, madmike Jr., because he makes too much money and he can pitch long relief. Youre being unrealistic.

It most likely will be a Timlin DL situation as Ive said before...then you proceeded to waste bandwith telling me how good he has been (no sh*t!) but make no mistake, its between Snyder -vs- Timlin for that roster spot...Tavarez is staying whether you (or I) like it or not.

Basically Sox interests (keeping Paps fresh, Gagne ranking as a stud free agent) and Gagne's interests (both ego-related and showcasing his talents for free agency) align nicely here. Under the circumstances I'd expect him to rack up a decent number of saves by season's end, like I said, more than you think. But in his press conference, he seemed more intent on winning than his own stats...I just expect to see him in the 8th quite a bit too.

Youre being madmike again JUST to argue with me. Lopez isnt being sent down because he is a lefty and his ERA rivals Snyder, though I stand by my assertion that ERA isnt the best way to measure a relief pitcher but you seem married to it...so there you have it.

It wont be Tavarez, madmike Jr., because he makes too much money and he can pitch long relief. Youre being unrealistic.

It most likely will be a Timlin DL situation as Ive said before...then you proceeded to waste bandwith telling me how good he has been (no sh*t!) but make no mistake, its between Snyder -vs- Timlin for that roster spot...Tavarez is staying whether you (or I) like it or not.

Basically Sox interests (keeping Paps fresh, Gagne ranking as a stud free agent) and Gagne's interests (both ego-related and showcasing his talents for free agency) align nicely here. Under the circumstances I'd expect him to rack up a decent number of saves by season's end, like I said, more than you think. But in his press conference, he seemed more intent on winning than his own stats...I just expect to see him in the 8th quite a bit too.

Lopez has option so could be sent down. I doubt he does but it is an option. I never said we should send him down. I think he's done well here. Although we could probably survive until September without him.

Timlin could go to the DL. Yes. I am aware of that. You said we would have to get rid of him and that he hasn't been pitching well anyway. And I proved you wrong so you called me MadMike. Do you even remotely see why people here do not get along with you??

I don't see how Tavarez' money has anything to do with it. They DFA'd Pineiro who was making 4 million dollars this season and then they paid for some of it when they traded him to St. Louis. And they all guarenteed everything in Gagne's contract so that he would waive his no trade clause. You're telling me they are going to keep Tavarez (who makes less than Pineiro btw) over Snyder who both perform the same function and Snyder does it better just because of a money issue? Seriously? Since when is money an issue with the Red Sox?

Seriously? Since when is money an issue with the Red Sox?

It transcends the Red Sox and is an issue in sports. I dont have a crystal ball and I can say for sure what moves will be made as this is certainly a nice problem to have...but I just dont see Tavarez going anywhere because of $ among other reasons. If they wanted to get rid of him, they would have done it last year while he had several meltdowns!

I do have KIND OF another bone to pick. You keep talking up Mike Timlin here and using him against me. I hate you for doing this because I love Iron Mike and always will...but youre also forgetting age is a factor here in addition to injury, and his performance last year and somewhat the year before! It's been downhill since the magical run of 2004. There I said it!

Sorry Mike, youre still my boy!

I do have KIND OF another bone to pick. You keep talking up Mike Timlin here and using him against me. I hate you for doing this because I love Iron Mike and always will...but youre also forgetting age is a factor here in addition to injury, and his performance last year and somewhat the year before! It's been downhill since the magical run of 2004. There I said it!

Sorry Mike, youre still my boy!

I think the World Baseball Classic burned him out, but he has pitched well over the last month or so and he has been available the last few nights. This year may be his last though, and that makes me sad. He's always been a gamer for us. And I think performance last year has more to do with injury and age is a factor (although Wakes is 41 and leading the league in wins haha).

I chose not to participate in that discussion any longer as I have NO USE for hack jokes.

No use for hack jokes? You ARE a Hack joke. Your user name is a hack joke. Every single piece of your outdated material is a hack joke!!

If you looked up "Hack Joke" in the Dictionary you would see your picture.

The other day, we were having a discussion about the undisputable ROY star relief pitcher Hideki Okajima. I referred to him as "Okie" as many, many, many other people do including Terry Francona in Wednesday's postgame interview....

I was then questioned on this by some clueless Australian Yankee fan who has NO IDEA what he is talking about. Far from an afficianado on anything Red Sox-related, he had never heard of neither this nickname, nor the outpitch he throws called the "Okie Doke"

Others, all Yankee fans whom have an agenda, chimed in needlessly. The conversation wnet to sh*t after that with hack joke after hack joke. I chose not to participate in that discussion any longer as I have NO USE for hack jokes. But to finally put the Okajima thread to rest......

Here is an offering from Wikipedia, Dingo:

*During an April 15 rainout in 2007, Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell tweaked Okajima's change-up delivery. The result was a devastating change-up with screwball motion dubbed the "Okie-Doke" by bullpen coach Gary Tuck.[13] As of May 10, 2007, the Okie-Doke has been thrown for strikes 79% of the time with hitters swinging through the pitch 14 out of 30 times.[14]

Detroit Tigers slugger Gary Sheffield declared Okajima "one of the most impressive lefties I've ever seen" with "stuff I have never seen before from anybody."[15] Yankees manager Joe Torre called Okajima "unhittable".[16]

I rest my case. As usual, I win and you lose! Nor did I make up the nickname "Okie" (that was Merle Haggard) as I was accused of in the past by a person who admittedly failed the history of Rock N Roll at Junior College!

So Francona calls Okajima "Okie" and the bullpen coach calls his change-up the "Okie-Doke." Thats all well and good but I have never heard the media or fans use those terms.

Nice touch, homo.

He really didn't bash the Red Sox on that post, he just stated an opinion, an honest one.

It seems as if you can't post a day without mentioning and/or bashing the Yankees.

If you have something you want to come out about, just tell Thor, he came out a few weeks ago, he'll walk you through the process.

Whether you like JBF or not, and I am sure there are a lot of folks on this board that enjoy his random bashing of the Yankees. Why do you continually use derogatory terms towards the gay community to emphasize your comments. It makes you look like a child and a homophobe.

Why do you continually use derogatory terms towards the gay community to emphasize your comments. It makes you look like a child and a homophobe.

Shadow is just following Jet/Bosox's lead as Jet/Bosox had called me a homo, and much worse, many times.

BTW: Please don't comment on things you no nothing about. I don't mean to be rude with that comment, but I haven't seen many posts from you in this forum.

Whether you like JBF or not, and I am sure there are a lot of folks on this board that enjoy his random bashing of the Yankees. Why do you continually use derogatory terms towards the gay community to emphasize your comments. It makes you look like a child and a homophobe.

Zeebers, I caution you not to get your hopes up when dealing with the likes of this kid...mods have warned him (and a few others) about this stuff, homphobic terms, racist terms, personal attacks, and it is never to any avail. He couldnt stop himself if he tried, not that he wants to.

Rest assured that the mods will get tired of this, some of them are already tired of him as I've heard in private conversations.

This is a fight I have with all of my kids in school when they dislike something and they refer to it as "gay". Unfortunately, when dealing with dysfunctional, under-educated people (my kids are 10 & 11, what is the Yankee Circle Jerk's excuse?) of any age, they feel that if they shout their epithets louder, their perceived victims will be more hurt. They dont see that they come off as knuckle-dragging morons to the rest of us until its too late!

Shadow is just following Jet/Bosox's lead as Jet/Bosox had called me a homo, and much worse, many times.

BTW: Please don't comment on things you no nothing about. I don't mean to be rude with that comment, but I haven't seen many posts from you in this forum.

ooooohhhhh...listen to the internet tough guy. Could you stop making excuses for the horrid, anti-social behavior of other posters? How brainwashed are you anyway???

Zeebers can say whatever he wants! Especially when he is asking people like shadow and anskykloogy to follow the rules of this board! Goodness, we have to listen to you wax lengthy about how much you love all things Yankees in a TOTALLY transparent effort to win friends on this messageboard...

but look what it's done to you. Youre defending shadowjet's rampant homophobia? How low will you go?

ooooohhhhh...listen to the internet tough guy. Could you stop making excuses for the horrid, anti-social behavior of other posters? How brainwashed are you anyway???

Zeebers can say whatever he wants! Especially when he is asking people like shadow and anskykloogy to follow the rules of this board! Goodness, we have to listen to you wax lengthy about how much you love all things Yankees in a TOTALLY transparent effort to win friends on this messageboard...

but look what it's done to you. Youre defending shadowjet's rampant homophobia? How low will you go?

Zeebers can say whatever he wants as long as he knows what is going on here.

You are the personal insult king. You started all of the hatred here. Get over yourself.

Zeebers can say whatever he wants as long as he knows what is going on here.

You are the personal insult king. You started all of the hatred here. Get over yourself.

As you like to talk about facts here are some of your posts from the last couple of weeks:

You know whats gayer than Ryan Seacrest

"You know who I hate" thread on July 28

Garroid* basically shook the baseball world's foundation today with explosive comments aimed squarely at Joe Torre and the Yankee organization.

"Gary Sheffield* pulls race card on Torre/Jeter" thread on July 14

I wouldnt read any of your nonsense if you paid me. Nobody cares about you are Michael Wilbon and this Sheffield story is TOTALLY combustible (meaning it COULD blow up for those of you GAYNZO

Bosox --

I deleted the negative rep you just left for Gainzo. It said:

Quote:

suck my **** you FAGGOT!!!

Gainzo has shown more class than you are apparently capable of. This shouldn't surprise me. Sadly it does.

Posted by Max after you called me a faggot.

I can't believe you have the audacity to call out ShadowJet out on slurs.

Guys

JBF isn't going anywhere soon. He has toned down his personal attacks. He attacks the Yankees. Big deal. He is entitlted to that.

But to start a reply with Homo or other names is just a personal attack itself. JBF baits you guys, and you fall for it time and again. If I were JBF, I would be laughing my ass off.

Attack the teams, not the posters. Have some thick skin when it comes to reading posts on here.

I'll never get why the mods protect this guy. He admits his only purpose here is to annoy other posters, he has repeatedly threatened me with violence (though never been man enough to try) and has an old picture of me in his profile just to be a dick.

And yet, we get "JBF isn't going anywhere soon." Why should anybody bother being a good board citizen if the mods are going to protect ******* flamers?

I'll never get why the mods protect this guy. He admits his only purpose here is to annoy other posters, he has repeatedly threatened me with violence (though never been man enough to try) and has an old picture of me in his profile just to be a dick.

And yet, we get "JBF isn't going anywhere soon." Why should anybody bother being a good board citizen if the mods are going to protect ******* flamers?

POTW NOM.

It's total bull****. PatsfanTX was annoying but he never attacked anyone. This guy strokes off to making personal attacks and the mods repeatedly look the other way.

Either reinstate TX or ban JBF. This is kinda hypocritical.

Yep...POTW

Archived