Remember how Mangini coached the NE Secondary when they needed Troy Brown as a CB?

Well lets all hope he can work wonders once again with this secondary, because In my eyes it aint looking so great. D.Revis is holding out and neither party seems to be budging, J.Miller seems to be hurt, and Hank Poteat is out 3rd option at CB. I really hope D.Coleman progresses this offseason, because the way things are looking... This Jets secondary will need all the help they can get.

Dyson

Barrett

Poteat

This could be the down-fall on a season that could have been. I still have hope as a fan, but this Revis hold out is hurting the team more than anything.

I guess we will all see what Mangini is made of.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why so you all insist on dissin' my boy, Troy? ;)

Truth is, Troy Brown was used in nickle situations covering the slot - a position he knows quite well having played it for a gazillion years. You need a flexible, talented, team-oriented player with smarts and experience to pull that off.

Anyway, RSJ is correct. The Pats could do the whole smoke and mirrors, exotic nickle and dime packages because the d-line was more than solid and the lb's were fierce. Now most of the lb's are just old. :) - which could explain why Thomas has been learning the MLB "mike" position. BB agress with moi, Bruschi has become OLD.

Jets fans are not alone. This Pats fan doesn't feel good about her teams DB situation either.

why so you all insist on dissin' my boy, Troy? ;)

Truth is, Troy Brown was used in nickle situations covering the slot - a position he knows quite well having played it for a gazillion years. You need a flexible, talented, team-oriented player with smarts and experience to pull that off.

Anyway, RSJ is correct. The Pats could do the whole smoke and mirrors, exotic nickle and dime packages because the d-line was more than solid and the lb's were fierce. Now most of the lb's are just old. :) - which could explain why Thomas has been learning the MLB "mike" position. BB agress with moi, Bruschi has become OLD.

Jets fans are not alone. This Pats fan doesn't feel good about her teams DB situation either.

I agree Garb and maybe I shouldn't have said anybody could play. But that Pats front 7 was straight up nasty back then. Their line is good now but their LB's are a little suspect like you said. Jets are sort of the opposite in that respect. I like our LB's but our line is piss poor. I do expect to see improvement this year though.

Well lets all hope he can work wonders once again with this secondary, because In my eyes it aint looking so great. D.Revis is holding out and neither party seems to be budging, J.Miller seems to be hurt, and Hank Poteat is out 3rd option at CB. I really hope D.Coleman progresses this offseason, because the way things are looking... This Jets secondary will need all the help they can get.

Dyson

Barrett

Poteat

This could be the down-fall on a season that could have been. I still have hope as a fan, but this Revis hold out is hurting the team more than anything.

I guess we will all see what Mangini is made of.

Barrett is a good corner and a starter in this league. Barrett had an off year but also played hurt most of last year. He's not perfect but he does a solid job for the most part. Dyson is one of the better corners in the league over the last 5 or 6 years (I'm not saying top 5 but in the top 10). Miller will be fine within a week and appears to grow as a player a little each year. It does not seem to be all that serious as he was walking around fine yesterday. Poteat is a decent and capable experienced depth guy who plays above himself and D. Coleman showed some good potential to be a nickel back as a rookie. They are also all in year 2 of the new system. I think people need to relax a bit on this. I'd like to see Revis get into camp just as much as the next guy but the secondary is in no way in a crisis situation.

The reason Mangini was able to pull that off was because the Pats front 7 was so good. Anyone can bump a WR and play the flats if the front 7 is that good.

bingo, to take it a step further the front 7 was so good with the help of a good system & good coaching as well. I doubt they succeed as well on other defenses

I think we still have a ways to go but I think our front 7 will show good progress this year which will help the db's as well.

we have to improve our run stopping abilities 1st & foremost

I agree Garb and maybe I shouldn't have said anybody could play. But that Pats front 7 was straight up nasty back then. Their line is good now but their LB's are a little suspect like you said. Jets are sort of the opposite in that respect. I like our LB's but our line is piss poor. I do expect to see improvement this year though.

But the Pats LB's > Jets DL. I think we're about even in the secondary but the Pats still have the better talent on defense.

I think our front 7 will be solid this year. They really came on last year after the bye week. They have much more depth which is important to be a successful 3-4 defense and they have had last year and still this year to learn the system. That being said I still don't beleive the secondary is in a chrisis. Our safety's are reliable and Miller's hammy doesnt appear to be serious and he's having a great camp an is finally coming becoming a more disciplined corner. I still hope Revis comes in to camp soon. If it wasn't for Pete Kendall and his bull**** he would most likely be here by now.

The Jets currently have 5 Cornerbacks, and when Revis signs will have 6, that they are going to carry on the roster throughout th season. Even if Miller misses some regular season time, they still would have Dyson (who is limping around camp so far, not a good sign either), Barrett, Poteat and Drew Coleman. Hopefully we'll be able to add Revis to that list ASAP. Kizer will also most likely be kept around on the PS.

Barrett is a good corner and a starter in this league. Barrett had an off year but also played hurt most of last year. He's not perfect but he does a solid job for the most part. Dyson is one of the better corners in the league over the last 5 or 6 years (I'm not saying top 5 but in the top 10). Miller will be fine within a week and appears to grow as a player a little each year. It does not seem to be all that serious as he was walking around fine yesterday. Poteat is a decent and capable experienced depth guy who plays above himself and D. Coleman showed some good potential to be a nickel back as a rookie. They are also all in year 2 of the new system. I think people need to relax a bit on this. I'd like to see Revis get into camp just as much as the next guy but the secondary is in no way in a crisis situation.

Question,,,, Are you so out of touch with reality that you actually belive the Jets can live on that crap???? Your Jet fan, I understand and you want to belive the best is coming, but you should really open your eyes a bit and look at the kind of WR cores that defensive Back-field is going to have to face in the AFC this year.

Question,,,, Are you so out of touch with reality that you actually belive the Jets can live on that crap???? Your Jet fan, I understand and you want to belive the best is coming, but you should really open your eyes a bit and look at the kind of WR cores that defensive Back-field is going to have to face in the AFC this year.

I will take the Jets' corners with a banged up Dyson over New England's anyday. I'm not a big David Barrett fan at all, but he, like Hank Poteat, are solid 3's who can start for a few games here and there. And Miller is coming along, or was, this training camp. Hopefully his hammy won't keep him out for more than a week or so that he is healthy enough to have a man rotation of Dyson, Barrett and himself Week 1, if Revis is not signed by then, god forbid.

The Jets' 1-5 easily top New England's 1-5.

I will take the Jets' corners with a banged up Dyson over New England's anyday. I'm not a big David Barrett fan at all, but he, like Hank Poteat, are solid 3's who can start for a few games here and there. And Miller is coming along, or was, this training camp. Hopefully his hammy won't keep him out for more than a week or so that he is healthy enough to have a man rotation of Dyson, Barrett and himself Week 1, if Revis is not signed by then, god forbid.

The Jets' 1-5 easily top New England's 1-5.

Please - both units are mediocre

Oh, that's right, the Pats got Dante Wesley yesterday. I know that Coles and Cotchery must be shaking in their boots looking at that great secondary. Between Wesley and Ellis Hobbs the world will forget that Darrell Green ever existed.

i disagree

You can disagree that the earth is round it won't change the reality of the matter. Every off-season Jet fans let their hopes and dreams run rough-shot over common sense, facts and objectivity, then the season starts. This year will be no differen't, in fact it will be much worse, the Jets fluke season against bad teams last year has sent Jet fans over the edge, by week 5 when te Jets are 1-3, the reality will be clear. ;)

The Patriots D-line is superior to the Jets D-line. Arguing to the contrary is foolish. However, if anyone can "scheme" against it - it would be Mangini because he is familiar with the Pats personnel, the Pats schemes and because he's "wicked smaht." He did, afterall, learn from the best.

I think the Pats are better - unit by unit - then the Jets except for: RB and Special Teams. Jest have the upper hand there. Now that does not mean the Jets can't beat the Pats. Of course they can. On any given Sunday....

The Patriots D-line is superior to the Jets D-line. Arguing to the contrary is foolish. However, if anyone can "scheme" against it - it would be Mangini because he is familiar with the Pats personnel, the Pats schemes and because he's "wicked smaht." He did, afterall, learn from the best.

I think the Pats are better - unit by unit - then the Jets except for: RB and Special Teams. Jest have the upper hand there. Now that does not mean the Jets can't beat the Pats. Of course they can. On any given Sunday....

I think if we only take this season into account.... Secondaries-even LB's-Pats DL- Pats. OL- Pats QB- Pats RBs- Jets WR's- even ( Coles, Cotchery and JMac are all great receivers and even better fits for the Jets offense.... Moss, when hes not slacking can be good and stallworth is servicable, but I cant say how well they'll fit in with the Pats offense) ST(all around)-Jets. So, on paper the Pats should win...But, as everyone here knows, 'paper is just something to wipe your nose with'. So come game time, none of this matters.

Please - both units are mediocre

When healthy? Please, the Jets have an excellent secondary, and Cornerback tandem.

Andre Dyson, Darrelle Revis, Justin Miller, David Barret, Hank Poteat and Drew Coleman. That is some excellent depth. After Dyson you don't have a Top tier Corner, but a lot of couple of decent ones in Miller, Barrett and Poteat, plus 2 up and comers in Revis and Coleman. The Pats' cornerback situation is nowhere near the Jets'. You have Ellis Hobbs and... and...

Also, lets not even talk about safety. Rodney Harrison was good (key word being was), yes, and you do have Brandon Merriweather but he is also unproven. Kerry Rhodes is proven and another up and coming young Jets star.

The Patriots do not have a better secondary than the Jets. Nor do they have a better set of starting Wide Receivers.

When healthy? Please, the Jets have an excellent secondary, and Cornerback tandem.

Andre Dyson, Darrelle Revis, Justin Miller, David Barret, Hank Poteat and Drew Coleman. That is some excellent depth. After Dyson you don't have a Top tier Corner, but a lot of couple of decent ones in Miller, Barrett and Poteat, plus 2 up and comers in Revis and Coleman. The Pats' cornerback situation is nowhere near the Jets'. You have Ellis Hobbs and... and...

Also, lets not even talk about safety. Rodney Harrison was good (key word being was), yes, and you do have Brandon Merriweather but he is also unproven. Kerry Rhodes is proven and another up and coming young Jets star.

Dont the Pats have Gaye and Samuel? ( I know Samuel is holding out but so is revis so...)

Dont the Pats have Gaye and Samuel? ( I know Samuel is holding out but so is revis so...)

Randall Gay has played in 5 games in 2 seasons. Who knows what he has now. As for Samuel, he is still holding out and until he reports, all they have is Ellis Hobbs, Gay and Tory James.

Randall Gay has played in 5 games in 2 seasons. Who knows what he has now. As for Samuel, he is still holding out and until he reports, all they have is Ellis Hobbs, Gay and Tory James.

And we have Dyson, Barrett, Miller and Coleman....

Yeah, you're right...we win. :P

The Pats O is going to smear Mangina and the Jets secondary opening day. Massacre at the Meadowlands. Just watch. Look, NJ only won by 3 points last year vs the rag tag bunch of NE WR's.

Theres NO WAY NJ can hang with the current NE WR corps.

Poteat isnt that bad, i'd def take him at least as a 4th cb judging on a couple things i saw last year... Miller will obviously be good for week one. I know Revis holding out really really sucks but if you think about his position, theres not alot of studying you have to do like there would be for a linebacker, qb, rb etc. Im not saying its ok that Revis is holding out because i hate the fact but its more of a natural position that needs fewer coaching then most of the other positions

Poteat isnt that bad, i'd def take him at least as a 4th cb judging on a couple things i saw last year... Miller will obviously be good for week one. I know Revis holding out really really sucks but if you think about his position, theres not alot of studying you have to do like there would be for a linebacker, qb, rb etc. Im not saying its ok that Revis is holding out because i hate the fact but its more of a natural position that needs fewer coaching then most of the other positions

You're kidding, right? Have you seen a Mangini-led secondary?

And who do the Jets have?

Dyson....average.

Miller....All Pro kick returner; Bust as a CB.

Dave Barrett....average on a good day.

Without Revis, the Jets are weak at corner.

I would feel better with Hobbs and James then Dyson and whomever.

Dyson....average.

kinda early to call miller a bust ain't sikh? especially since his 1st year was under herms guidance.

I'm not arguing with anyone here cause I don't care who argues their case better. i'm just hoping we see improvement from both barrett & miller due to top notch coaching

Dyson....average.

I think Dyson is considerably above average. He's just hurt. A lot. I think Barrett is a solid lower tier starting cb. Average is fair. I actually think he's decent but fits those cover 2 schemes better. Miller's not a bust. Yet.

Archived