Our pass rush or lack of....question

NIGHT STALKER

In the 3-4, pass rush without blitzing is rare. That is why Bryan Thomas is a DE/OLB, to provide pass rush as a linebacker, or when 4 linemen are down, he is an end.

Maybe I should have been more specific...I didn't see the game, so I guess I should have asked, did we use the 4/3 at all and did we have any pressure on the QB? Looking at the stats, I see we didn't have any sacks.

This part of our D concerns me quite a bit because if we don't put more pressure on the QB this year, I don't care if we have Revis and his twin brother back there, we will get burned.

I think we will still blitz in the 3-4, run blitzes on obvious running plays and have at least 4 down lineman in obvious passing plays. the Jets stayed in the base defense too much last season up until 2nd half of the Browns game last year and that's when the D made a turn around.

They played mostly the base defense on Friday

We didn't get much of a pass rush because in my opinion our d line is horrible. We brought a lot of guys in, but nobody really that good. I'm just glad Kimo won't be starting and will probably be cut. I do realize this was a preseason game, so I'm not going to totally ream the defense. I will wait to the season starts.

We didn't get much of a pass rush because in my opinion our d line is horrible. We brought a lot of guys in, but nobody really that good. I'm just glad Kimo won't be starting and will probably be cut. I do realize this was a preseason game, so I'm not going to totally ream the defense. I will wait to the season starts.

Is that you in the avatar. That looks like Stonehenge. I know its not Ocala. LOL

There wasn't too much blitzing on Friday but if David Bowens can step in as the other OLB on passing situations that can apply a pass rush to take the pressure off of Thomas, then we should be just fine in that area. The real concern is our run defense. It was good at times against the Falcons, but that was also the 2nd half. The 1st half was the first stringers and second stringers and there were times when the run defense was just horrible. Most notably the Norwood 10 yard touchdown run.

As BP said, they stayed in the base 3-4 all night, aside from nickel and dime packages. The Norwood 10 yd TD came down to Barton not shedding his blocker and the safety was late with the help. They were in the base D though. Had this been live action, they would have approached the play differently. Keep in mind, they do not exactly game-plan for these exhibitions. As for the d-line applying pressure; while they did not record any sacks, Hicks, Sione, and DRob were getting upfield. Kenyon Coleman was most impressive against the run, but it looked like he will be able to take advantage of DRobs double teams. Ellis did not play much and Kimo is old.

That was the reason he reached the 2nd level, but the whole team was awful on that play. All in all, DRob had a nice game.

Yeah I thought D-Rob had a decent game as well, but Im putting that TD on him.

Really think Kenyon Coleman will improve our pass rush this season, I think he will help free up B.Thomas on his blitzes.

Yeah I thought D-Rob had a decent game as well, but Im putting that TD on him.

Really think Kenyon Coleman will improve our pass rush this season, I think he will help free up B.Thomas on his blitzes.

I agree on both counts.

IMO Pouha will be the key. If he can play well as a traditional NT, many things in the run game will be heeled

There wasn't too much blitzing on Friday but if David Bowens can step in as the other OLB on passing situations that can apply a pass rush to take the pressure off of Thomas, then we should be just fine in that area. The real concern is our run defense. It was good at times against the Falcons, but that was also the 2nd half. The 1st half was the first stringers and second stringers and there were times when the run defense was just horrible. Most notably the Norwood 10 yard touchdown run.

agreed on all counts. I am worried about POUHA and DROB. Both were blown off the ball the other night. Neither generated much of a rush inside either.

IMO it will be another week or two for the passrush to develop some chemistry. But Bowens and BT should provide decent pressures on the QB.

Archived