Match-ups for Sox v Yanks set.

PFSIKH

According to Boston.com:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/08/26/yankee_series_matchups_set/

Game 1: Pettite vs. Dice-K

Game 2: Clemens vs. Beckett

Game 3: Schilling vs. Wang

Three good match-ups

I'm really curious to see how Dice-K does against the Yanks after they hammered him in his first couple of outings. I can see him being lights out but what seemed to hurt him vs. the Yanks was their patience and unwillingness to swing at his stuff that was out of the zone. Should be a hell of a series either way.

I like Pettitte in opening game. Sox don't seem to score for Dice-K

Beckett has the edge in the second game.

Third game is a tossup. Wang looked alot better last night and the Yanks have hit Schilling pretty hard the last couple of times they have faced him.

The way things are breaking right now, if the Yanks are going to entertain anymore shots at winning the division it looks like they are going to have to sweep the series.

If it goes down to purely pitching...I don;t see how the blosux have an edge on any of those games. Dicegay will get his once again. It's time to make a move and take what's RIGHTFULLY ours. There's no reason that team should be ahead of us in the AL east. It's a disgrace to see a club with a first basemen that fertilizes his goatee, be in front of us. :box:

BTW, can someone analyze the Joba vs Gagne matchup in the late innings....

Right. The Red Sox wouldn't have the advantage because they don't have the league's best team ERA. You know, based purely on pitching.

Listen genius, look at the head to head matchups and how those pitchers have done lately. Team ERA doesn't affect a matchup between 2 starting pitchers. Then again, I wouldn't expect you to know that.

Listen genius, look at the head to head matchups and how those pitchers have done lately. Team ERA doesn't affect a matchup between 2 starting pitchers. Then again, I wouldn't expect you to know that.

Yeah, because apparently in your world, a 4.34 ERA < a 3.21.

Then again, I wouldn't expect you to know that.

OK. What happens when the Yankees go to their bullpen?

According to Boston.com:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/08/26/yankee_series_matchups_set/

Game 1: Pettite vs. Dice-K

Game 2: Clemens vs. Beckett

Game 3: Schilling vs. Wang

Three good match-ups

Game 1: Pettite and Dice have been exactly the same pitcher this year. Wait. Even though their numbers are the same, Pettite has been lights out, but Dice has been mediocre. Should be the best game of the series.

Game 2: This matchup clearly favors the Sox. Especially with Big Game Roger on the mound.

Game 3: Clearly favors the Yanks. Both pitchers have dominated the other team, but I think Schilling's best days are far behind him.

The AL East schedule this year has been a joke.

That is has. Its been the worst schedule of any division. Its been since May since the teams have faced each other, I believe the Papelbon A-Rod homer was the last time(not trying to rub it in).

The Yankees have changed alot since then. The only thing I worry about with the Yanks is a long relief pitcher in case someone gets knocked out early. The Bullpen has changed with Joba added. It gets a bridge to the ninth. Hopefully the starters can go 7-8 innings per start so we dont have to delve into the pen.

That is has. Its been the worst schedule of any division. Its been since May since the teams have faced each other, I believe the Papelbon A-Rod homer was the last time(not trying to rub it in).

The Yankees have changed alot since then. The only thing I worry about with the Yanks is a long relief pitcher in case someone gets knocked out early. The Bullpen has changed with Joba added. It gets a bridge to the ninth. Hopefully the starters can go 7-8 innings per start so we dont have to delve into the pen.

No offense taken.

Here are the number of games the Sox played in the 1st half of the season against the O's, Jays & Rays:

O's: 5

Jays: 8

Rays:3

Yankees: 12

WTF is up with that?

IMHO I believe Selig is trying to stack the deck against the Yankees giving them a tougher schedule down the stretch. Alot of our easier games were played in the beginning of the year as the Sox got the Rays 18 times out of their last 80 games. The Yankees hardly ever have a West Coast swing this late in the year, and this year they do. They had/have 7 games against Detroit in ten days, finished up with the central for now. Have to play Seattle again. Granted Seasttle and the O's werent expected to be as good as they are, but it is still a tougher schedule that the Sox got(again, this is my opinion)

IMHO I believe Selig is trying to stack the deck against the Yankees giving them a tougher schedule down the stretch. Alot of our easier games were played in the beginning of the year as the Sox got the Rays 18 times out of their last 80 games. The Yankees hardly ever have a West Coast swing this late in the year, and this year they do. They had/have 7 games against Detroit in ten days, finished up with the central for now. Have to play Seattle again. Granted Seasttle and the O's werent expected to be as good as they are, but it is still a tougher schedule that the Sox got(again, this is my opinion)

And the Sox had a tougher schedule earlier in the season. They could have fallen behind the Yanks and had the season spiral down the tubes.

There are two ways of looking at it.

Here is the 1st half the Yanks played against the AL East:

Jays: 5

O's: 6

Rays: 5

I don't buy your conspiracy theory as the Sox and Yanks played the same amount of games against the sisters of the weak.

The Yankees posted losing records against the Jays, O's and Rays in the 1st half of the season. The Sox didn't.

This time last season the Yanks were on the West Coast getting their butts kicked in Seattle and Anaheim. The year b4 they had a later 7 game Oakland Seattle trip.

This has stooped to a new level of excuse making. I thought the old "if we were only in the NL West" was bad but this "the schedule is fixed" takes the cake.

Yanks have a soft Sept schedule and no-one to blame but themselves if they miss the post season. Compare their schedule to Seattles.

I'll gladly take my chances with the Yankee pitchers that are due to start. Make sure you warm up Gagne, because you will need him.

Has it come down to this with some Yankees fans hoping Gagne pitches next week? Thats sad, very sad.

Has it come down to this with some Yankees fans hoping Gagne pitches next week? Thats sad, very sad.

Not really. I would gladly look forward to Wakefield , Schilling etc. Our numbers against them speak for themselves. Just remember you guys had a 14 game lead. Look at what it has become now. You have put yourselves in a situation where we are poking you in the rearview mirror. Considering the track record of this franchise, you should be concerned.

Not really. I would gladly look forward to Wakefield , Schilling etc. Our numbers against them speak for themselves. Just remember you guys had a 14 game lead. Look at what it has become now. You have put yourselves in a situation where we are poking you in the rearview mirror. Considering the track record of this franchise, you should be concerned.

Kudos. The Yankees have cut a 14 game lead to 7 and are still 2 games out of the wild card race.

86 years ended in 2004. The track record of past failures ended then.

BTW: 7-1 Sox, top of the 6th.

The Sox just added 3 (about to be 3 1/2) games to their lead over the last couple of days.

Boy wonder got knocked around today, Mussina might lose his starting spot.

Things are really looking up for the Yankees.

Let's be realistic about this 14 game lead. The Sox were 35-15 then. That is a pace of 113 wins. 2 teams have won that many in the last century. The Sox were not going to play that well all year. Especially, with their hitting.

Unlike 1978, there was still alot of the season left for the Yankees to cut into the lead.

It makes me chuckle to see all the rationalizations that Boston fans put out there as to why their lead has dwindled.

It's pretty simple. The Sox stopped playing .700 (like we all knew they would)ball and the Yankees went on a tear (like we all knew they would).

BTW, what's your rationalization for adding 3 1/2 games to the lead this week?

Their pitching has sucked ass. That's what has happened. Do you see me beating around the bush ?

The same thing the Sox fans were doing when they were playing poorly.

And no, I don't think you'll ever be anywhere near bush.

Archived