Revis

Kentucky Jet

Revis moving up growth curve fast

By Gregg Hayim

Posted Sep 19, 2007

A rookie cornerback is usually a good target for the opposition to pick on. Such has not been the case in the brief two-game career of Darrelle Revis.

A rookie cornerback is usually a good target for the opposition to pick on. Such has not been the case in the brief two-game career of Darrelle Revis.

A lot of speculation was made about the impact of Revis's training camp holdout. The general consensus was that by missing the majority of camp, the Jets first round pick had set himself too far behind the learning curve to make an immediate impact. The general consensus was wrong.

Revis has proved early that his progression, and feel for the defense, is well ahead of schedule.

"It's something that I put on myself when I wasn't here in the holdout." Revis said of the obligation he felt toward grasping the playbook. "I stayed on my game, worked hard, and did what I had to do. So when I came back I wouldn't let my teammates down."

Revis grasped the defense quicker than most thought possible, and when an injury sidelined Andre Dyson, it opened the door for the Pittsburgh product to get the starting nod in Week One.

Thus far, he's yet to disappoint.

In his first two professional games, Revis has recorded thirteen tackles, including ten solo. Additionally, he is yet to make a glaring mistake in coverage.

It's a well known fact that a young cornerback is usually viewed as easy prey for an offensive coordinator. Quarterbacks have been known to salivate at the opportunity to take advantage of an inexperienced DB. For some inexplicable reason, this has not been the case. It's Revis's counterpart, David Barrett, that seems to be the marked man.

"I don't know if I earned that much respect." Revis said.

Archived