The Bergen record is finally here for today!

Kentucky Jet

Jets' rookie LB up for challenge

Friday, October 26, 2007

By KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- David Harris handled the throng of video cameras and voice recorders like a skilled veteran.

Despite the swarm of reporters crowding him against his locker Thursday, the rookie linebacker didn't waver, nor did his facial expression change when asked about the unenviable task of replacing injured linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

"You just got to be ready when your number's called," Harris said, matter-of-factly. "It's football, anything can happen, injuries happen. Things change week to week, so you try to go in and be ready."

For the second straight day, Vilma did not practice due to an unspecified knee injury. Whether the injury will cost the veteran his season or a few games remains to be seen.

Head coach Eric Mangini tried to quell rumors of Vilma possibly undergoing surgery by saying: "It's really just going to matter what the [test] results are, and talk to the doctors and put together the best plan."

But even though the coach wouldn't definitively say Vilma will miss Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills and Harris would start in his place, the rookie has already begun to prepare as if he will start.

"It's been a dream of mine to start an NFL game and the opportunity has [arisen] so I have to step up my game," said Harris, who the Jets drafted after trading away a third-round pick and swapping places with Green Bay to move up 16 spots in the draft order.

"... Being a player you always want to be on the field more and I have to take advantage of my opportunity."

Harris admitted that it took some time to get used to Vilma and linebacker Eric Barton sharing the defensive play-calling duties when he first arrived at Jets camp. But "now that Vilma's down," he said, "I'll pick up more responsibility."

Mangini said he's been impressed by the young linebacker's progress and he doesn't appear to have any reservations about Harris replacing Vilma if need be.

"He did it all during college," Mangini said of Harris' familiarity with play-calling. "[so he's] pretty used to that role. I'm sure it's probably an adjustment for him another way where for the first time he wasn't calling the signals. That's something that should be a fairly smooth transition. And he's done it several times through the course of training camp and preseason, and the regular season."

His teammates have also been impressed by Harris' level of commitment.

"He approaches the game well," said linebacker David Bowens. "He is not a dumb rookie. He really knows his stuff. I don't think we will be missing anything with him being in there."

When asked how he's been able to adjust so quickly to the Jets' defensive schemes, Harris offered a simple explanation.

"This is my job," he said. "You have to do extra studying, [put in] extra time meeting with the coaches, and the veterans that also play the linebacker position have helped out a lot."

Though Harris appears to be the best option for the Jets, Vilma's absence on the field would undoubtedly be felt.

"[He is] a Pro Bowl guy, a leader, who is our anchor," said rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis. "He is the quarterback of our defense. He makes a lot of plays and does a lot of things for us. Just to have Jonathan Vilma on your team, he is a leader and he has great character. ... He is one of those guys that cares about the whole team and just wants to win."

E-mail: martink@northjersey.com

Life without Vilma?

True to form, Jets head coach Eric Mangini remained tight-lipped Thursday about the extent of linebacker Jonathan Vilma's knee injury. Though it isn't a foregone conclusion the four-year veteran will miss Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills, it's very likely he won't play and that he could be out for an extended period of time.

Despite the shroud of secrecy, the players are already preparing themselves for the difficult road ahead.

"We are so used to him being out there, hearing his voice and knowing where he is going to be," said safety Kerry Rhodes. "It will be strange. It will be something different ...

"It will be like [Ravens teammates] Ed Reed without Ray Lewis," he added, regarding his relationship with Vilma. "... Not the type of players that they are, just the type of rapport that they have with each other. That is the same thing that we have. It will be tough."

Praise for Elam

Though Mangini said free safety Abram Elam's 13-yard unnecessary roughness penalty against the Bengals was a "poor decision," the coach praised Elam for his physical play and intensity.

"It wasn't that he was angry and trying to do something negative," said the coach. "He just made a poor decision by trying to rip it out when it wouldn't have mattered anyways, if he had gotten the ball out. But you can live with those things because of the intent. He was trying to make something positive happen."

Briefs

WR Chris Davis was released from the practice squad and WR David Clowney was re-signed. Clowney, who had been inactive for three games, had been released earlier this week. ... Despite former Atlanta Falcon Grady Jackson being available, Mangini said he isn't biting. When asked during his morning news conference if he was possibly looking at the 6-foot-2, 350-pound defensive tackle, he offered a quick "No. No."

-- Kimberley A. Martin

"He approaches the game well," said linebacker David Bowens. "He is not a dumb rookie. He really knows his stuff. I don't think we will be missing anything with him being in there."

Intentional or not, that was a big blow to Vilma. Thing is, he's right.

Intentional or not, that was a big blow to Vilma. Thing is, he's right.

Could be, though he probably meant it as a confidence booster for harris.

Bowens has played like a total POS this season. What a waste of money.

The HC and GM really have an eye for FA talent, dont they?

When they drafted Vilma, they had John Abe and Jason Ferguson on the DL.

He was brought in to fit in with that, and did great.

When Putzo decided to switch to a 3-4 he neglected the DL, though Abe and Fergie was already gone.

They passed on drafting Ngata to take an overrated D'Brick.

They have had two off-seasons and still havent solved the NT position.

Vilma has never even had a chance to play the 3-4 with a good DL and a big NT. The mangidiots guaranteed putting him in a position to fail, and made him play away from his strengths.

This franchise is FUBAR. Fvck mangidiot.

When Putzo decided to switch to a 3-4 he neglected the DL, though Abe and Fergie was already gone.

Nonsense. The Jets only solid season at D was when Ferguson was in a contract year next to Robertson. Robertson sucks in terms of helping Vilma, regardless of the formation. Robertson is intent on trying to get to the QB (something he's just plain not good at). Vilma needs a guy to keep blockers off of him. The bottom line is Vilma needs a very good DT that is capable of taking up blockers regardless of the defensive formation. If we were to play the 4-3 right now, we'd have the same problem. If Vilma has blockers in his face, he's useless. If he doesn't, he's world class. I'd much rather have a decent LB who can man up on a lineman and still make the play rather than rely on a world class DT to make Vilma look good. For god's sakes Vilma is still no more than 235lbs soaking wet.

I agree that Ngata would have been a better pick, though D'Brick is coming on nicely.

They have had two off-seasons and still havent solved the NT position. Ngata was the only viable answer, so unfortunately passing up on him left us with no other options.

Vilma has never even had a chance to play the 3-4 with a good DL and a big NT. The mangidiots guaranteed putting him in a position to fail, and made him play away from his strengths. Back to what I said earlier, I'd rather have a LB who can actually man up against a lineman and still make a play rather than bide my time waiting for a world class DT. For being such a great LB, Vilma sure does need alot of support around him to be that great.

See bold comments.

See bold comments.

I think the Vilma manlove has gotten out of hand - i think he is overrated in a 4-3 but would fit nicely if that kinda D if it had other playmakers like a JAbe, Fergason, etc...

wish he would consider being a safety for the JETS maybe highest paid in league...wishful thinking i suppose as the money is better at LB

I think the Vilma manlove has gotten out of hand - i think he is overrated in a 4-3 but would fit nicely if that kinda D if it had other playmakers like a JAbe, Fergason, etc...

wish he would consider being a safety for the JETS maybe highest paid in league...wishful thinking i suppose as the money is better at LB

He's not going to be a safety.

I think the manlove for tangini is out of control. I dont like their brand of BS, i dont like how they treat their players (and I bet a lot of players dont like it either), and they arent too smart if they tried to install the 3-4 without a NT.

I dont like the look of this team, and I dont like the decisions, and i dont like how its being run.

Yeah they need a DL for the LBs to be effextive. that is brilliant observation. It's only been two off-seasons and they still need a NT and a DE. They need a RT and a LG. They are $9M under the cap, and clearly did not go all out to put the best possible team on the field for their fans.

Well, you know what, i'm not putting out any more money or effort into this team until i decide i like how it is being run.

I think the manlove for tangini is out of control. I dont like their brand of BS, i dont like how they treat their players (and I bet a lot of players dont like it either), and they arent too smart if they tried to install the 3-4 without a NT.

I dont like the look of this team, and I dont like the decisions, and i dont like how its being run.

Yeah they need a DL for the LBs to be effextive. that is brilliant observation. It's only been two off-seasons and they still need a NT and a DE. They need a RT and a LG. They are $9M under the cap, and clearly did not go all out to put the best possible team on the field for their fans.

Well, you know what, i'm not putting out any more money or effort into this team until i decide i like how it is being run.

I agree with everything that you wrote! I also have vowed NOT to watch anymore JEST football UNTIL we are competetive again. I do not mind losing if we try hard and play hard. but to lose as easily as we do, I am sick to my stomach over it. MAGREENI is reminding me of HERM! Stubbron, and F.O.S!

They have had two off-seasons and still havent solved the NT position.

Vilma has never even had a chance to play the 3-4 with a good DL and a big NT. The mangidiots guaranteed putting him in a position to fail, and made him play away from his strengths.

I agree 100% BEST POST EVER ABOUT VILMA.

I could give a **** how they treat guys making millions to play a sport.

I watch every game win or lose and have for over quarter century and the one thing I learned is cryin will get you nowhere :)

I POTW'd you last week for basically the same statement but Beans didn't pick it up. I'm with you m'man. I don't like a bit of whats going on here now or over the last 7 weeks and I'm far from convinced that these guys know what the fvck they're doing. Starting with who's been picked to take the snaps Sunday, but theres a whole bag of crap these titheads are starting to drag around with them. Lets say we would have converted 2 of those L's into W's which really wasn't far away from happening. Would that mean we're a better football team? Not in my book. We'd still be sucking hind ta ta and more disgustingly, not moving in the right direction. One of both of these pinworms better have something up their sleeves that could even be disguised as viable - or I'll volunteer to come drive the pick-up truck that drags them out of town.

Just to be clear -- you will continue to neg rep the anti-Miami posts though right? Don't cut us off cold turkey. That just wouldn't be right.

\:D/

Just to be clear -- you will continue to neg rep the anti-Miami posts though right? Don't cut us off cold turkey. That just wouldn't be right.

\:D/

I reserve the right to do so. :-P

I think I only neg repped two posts out of the hundreds that were posted.

Hyperbole much?

the most overrated guy on the jets sideline is mangina.

Next time use spell check.

First of all, Mangini brought us to the PO's last season, not Vilma!!!!

In fact, from the word go, I questioned Vilma's abilities in this 3-4 D, I think our Run D over the last 2 seasons is proof of why.

WTF are you talking about spellcheck?????

I reserve the right to do so. :-P

I think I only neg repped two posts out of the hundreds that were posted.

Hyperbole much?

Bro if you have to ask that last question about me, you certainly haven't been paying attention. Of couse, I overstate things all the time. Actually, I think it is what I do best.

:cheers:

I checked the logs though. You have many more than 2 neg reps. It was kind of funny because they were all related to Miami players.

Personally I don't like the reputation thing. People wanted it so I put it in. But what makes me laugh is you posted a picture saying it was gay when I started a thread about it. Now you are using it all the time. HHHmmmmm, lol. You posted a second picture that had to be deleted calling it gay once again because it had the ever so naughty F word in it.

Maybe it is gay. Pretty sure if it was I would be all over it though. You can decide for yourself though.

Bro if you have to ask that last question about me, you certainly haven't been paying attention. Of couse, I overstate things all the time. Actually, I think it is what I do best.

:cheers:

I checked the logs though. You have many more than 2 neg reps. It was kind of funny because they were all related to Miami players.

Personally I don't like the reputation thing. People wanted it so I put it in. But what makes me laugh is you posted a picture saying it was gay when I started a thread about it. Now you are using it all the time. HHHmmmmm, lol. You posted a second picture that had to be deleted calling it gay once again because it had the ever so naughty F word in it.

Maybe it is gay. Pretty sure if it was I would be all over it though. You can decide for yourself though.

I do use it all the time now and mostly it is to rep people who repped me for the tc reports.

I only neg repped what i thought were idiotic or malicious posts, and i thought i only neg repped two Vilma posts. Only one whiny baby complained about it, and he neg repped me back, so its not a BFD to me.

I do use it all the time now and mostly it is to rep people who repped me for the tc reports.

I only neg repped what i thought were idiotic or malicious posts, and i thought i only neg repped two Vilma posts. Only one whiny baby complained about it, and he neg repped me back, so its not a BFD to me.

I think I have left the most negative reps out of anybody. I do it to the mods to piss them off and we get into neg rep wars. I am old fashioned and I enjoy that. So trust me when I say I tip my cap to a good neg rep war. I find it funny actually.

The crazy thing about rep is BP has the most rep power. No matter how I try to rig it, I have less than him. Scary because I actually changed it to screw him over but still came up short.

Story of my life.

I think I have left the most negative reps out of anybody. I do it to the mods to piss them off and we get into neg rep wars. I am old fashioned and I enjoy that. So trust me when I say I tip my cap to a good neg rep war. I find it funny actually.

The crazy thing about rep is BP has the most rep power. No matter how I try to rig it, I have less than him. Scary because I actually changed it to screw him over but still came up short.

Story of my life.

If you remember, i didnt post at all during May and June because i was incredibly busy with work. Then when I came back, i went into my user control to make some changes, and i opened up my rep (which had always been disabled) just to see what was there.

I was really surprised to see that a lot of people had left me rep even though it was off, and i had never reciprocated.

So I just decided to leave it open and start repping people back.

I'll give a neg rep here and there, but i am sure you were able to see that my positive rep given out FAR ourweighed any neg reps i gave.

So F off

:rl:

I POTW'd you last week for basically the same statement but Beans didn't pick it up. I'm with you m'man. I don't like a bit of whats going on here now or over the last 7 weeks and I'm far from convinced that these guys know what the fvck they're doing. Starting with who's been picked to take the snaps Sunday, but theres a whole bag of crap these titheads are starting to drag around with them. Lets say we would have converted 2 of those L's into W's which really wasn't far away from happening. Would that mean we're a better football team? Not in my book. We'd still be sucking hind ta ta and more disgustingly, not moving in the right direction. One of both of these pinworms better have something up their sleeves that could even be disguised as viable - or I'll volunteer to come drive the pick-up truck that drags them out of town.

That's cuz bean hate me. ;)

Thanks for the potw nom, though. I did see it.

If you remember, i didnt post at all during May and June because i was incredibly busy with work. Then when I came back, i went into my user control to make some changes, and i opened up my rep (which had always been disabled) just to see what was there.

I was really surprised to see that a lot of people had left me rep even though it was off, and i had never reciprocated.

So I just decided to leave it open and start repping people back.

I'll give a neg rep here and there, but i am sure you were able to see that my positive rep given out FAR ourweighed any neg reps i gave.

So F off

Alright that was pretty funny. You aren't as crabby on the weekends, lol. You almost lost me with that story though about the USER CP. I thought I was reading one of Senior's PMs. But like a good lawyer you had a strong closing!

:sign0098:

Alright that was pretty funny. You aren't as crabby on the weekends, lol. You almost lost me with that story though about the USER CP. I thought I was reading one of Senior's PMs. But like a good lawyer you had a strong closing!

:sign0098:

LOL@ the Senior reference.

I was just splainin' why I reversed field and started using the rep system.

I think the talk about moving Vilma to safety is some of the dumbest I've seen here and that takes some doing. Just because a guy fits a certain size profile doesn't mean that he has to play that position. Vilma is not just a LB, but a good one. He'd be crazy to move. More importantly, he is no great shakes in coverage. I've never seen him doing a particularly good job in pass coverage. The Moss 1 on 3 touchdown comes to mind. Put #21 on him in place of #51 and that's probably a pretty good idea of what he'd look like at safety.

So F off

You forgot to call him fat!

That's cuz bean hate me. ;)

Thanks for the potw nom, though. I did see it.

He hate me?

How much money and/or effort have you put into this team?

Didn't see it and sorry I missed it. :(

Didn't see it and sorry I missed it. :(

I wasn't bitch'n at all buddy - you do a great job with the POTW and thats a lot of work. Just reiterating my concern with who's steering the boat and where they're steering it.

btw - love your new avatar:thumbup:

Archived