Trading Vilma just went down the crapper,,typical Jets luck

SouthernJet

VILMA'S KNEE WAS FLAGGED AT 2004 COMBINE

by Michael David Smith

Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma was placed on injured reserve last week with a knee injury. It was never quite clear what happened to Vilma's knee, as Jets coach Eric Mangini said that Vilma had to leave the Jets' Week Seven game against the Bengals because of a knee problem, while Vilma said he could have stayed in the game.

Today Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News reports that Vilma's knee problems go back to high school, and that NFL doctors flagged Vilma's knee at the 2004 Indianapolis scouting combine. The knee condition is known as osteochondritis dissecans, a bone defect that can cause instability and loose particles in the joint. Terry Bradway, who at the time was the Jets' general manager, said in 2004 that the team's medical staff had cleared Vilma.

Neither Vilma nor the Jets will confirm exactly what is wrong with his knee. Cimini quotes Dr. Nicholas DiNubile, an orthopedic surgeon who consults with the Philadelphia 76ers, as saying that Vilma could need micro-fracture surgery on the knee, although DiNuble has not seen the results of Vilma's MRI.

Vilma has one more season remaining on the contract he signed as the Jets' first-round pick in 2004. There has been speculation that Vilma will ask for either a new contract or a trade in the off-season.

Cimini quotes Dr. Nicholas DiNubile, an orthopedic surgeon who consults with the Philadelphia 76ers, as saying that Vilma could need micro-fracture surgery on the knee, although DiNuble has not seen the results of Vilma's MRI.

I could speculate too.

So im reading the guys been injured since we drafted him? WOW I wonder how much more of a beast he could be with 2 good knees? Thats right a 3-4 defense with NOBODY in the 3 front line positions NOBODY zero zilch SCRUBS on other teams cut on others.

Ellis onpl ays when he feele like it and hes inconsistent. Later Vilma bashers!

atleast mangini knows how to draft. so we wont have this problem any more

You're still worshipping mangini for everything he does? LOL

Didnt he draft Eric Smith and Chansi Stuckey? They both have well documented histories of injuries.

Smith hasnt stayed healthy since he's been here, and Stuckey hasnt seen the field yet due to injury.

But you're right, we wont have that problem anymore. ;)

--------------------

Vilma's condition was known by NFL personnel before the draft. It didnt prevent him from winning DROTY. And though it is a 50/50 shot that his pre-existing condition was in the same knee that was injured, we dont even know that for sure.

------------------------------------

Osteochondritis dissecans is a condition that results from a loss of blood supply to an area of bone beneath the surface of a joint. The knee is most commonly affected, although osteochondritis dissecans also can occur in other joints, including your elbow and ankle.

The affected bone and its covering of cartilage may stay in place and may not cause any symptoms. Or a fragment may gradually loosen and cause pain.

Most people diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans are teenagers and young adults. The juvenile form affects growing bone, while the adult form affects mature bone. Osteochondritis dissecans is more common in males. Although osteochondritis dissecans is rare, it's becoming more common, particularly among girls and young women as their participation in youth and college sports increases.

Early diagnosis and treatment of osteochondritis dissecans are important to minimize your risk of long-term disability. Some people with osteochondritis dissecans eventually develop osteoarthritis. When the disorder is treated promptly, most people recover and return to their usual activities, including participation in sports.

Mayo.com

You're still worshipping mangini for everything he does? LOL

Didnt he draft Eric Smith and Chansi Stuckey? They both have well documented histories of injuries.

Smith hasnt stayed healthy since he's been here, and Stuckey hasnt seen the field yet due to injury.

But you're right, we wont have that problem anymore. ;)

--------------------

Vilma's condition was known by NFL personnel before the draft. It didnt prevent him from winning DROTY. And though it is a 50/50 shot that his pre-existing condition was in the same knee that was injured, we dont even know that for sure.

------------------------------------

Osteochondritis dissecans is a condition that results from a loss of blood supply to an area of bone beneath the surface of a joint. The knee is most commonly affected, although osteochondritis dissecans also can occur in other joints, including your elbow and ankle.

The affected bone and its covering of cartilage may stay in place and may not cause any symptoms. Or a fragment may gradually loosen and cause pain.

Most people diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans are teenagers and young adults. The juvenile form affects growing bone, while the adult form affects mature bone. Osteochondritis dissecans is more common in males. Although osteochondritis dissecans is rare, it's becoming more common, particularly among girls and young women as their participation in youth and college sports increases.

Early diagnosis and treatment of osteochondritis dissecans are important to minimize your risk of long-term disability. Some people with osteochondritis dissecans eventually develop osteoarthritis. When the disorder is treated promptly, most people recover and return to their usual activities, including participation in sports.

is there a difference between a 1st round pick and a second day pick

Mayo.com

Oh so it's okay to draft guys with lesser talent AND documented injuries than it is to select All-Americans who dont miss games in spite of a known condition. Gotcha.

I'd say I have to agree with this. Drafting two players with degenerative knee concerns in the top half of round 1, in back-to-back years, is kind of dumb. Even if it doesn't or didn't affect their play, it's an unnecessary risk for such a high pick.

Doesn't mean you never take a shot on a guy who's had injury concerns. But that early is just unnecessary; there's plenty of talent with such a high pick that doesn't have long-term concerns.

What's done is done. Hopefully we don't make that mistake again.

I'd say I have to agree with this. Drafting two players with degenerative knee concerns in the top half of round 1, in back-to-back years, is kind of dumb. Even if it doesn't or didn't affect their play, it's an unnecessary risk for such a high pick.

Doesn't mean you never take a shot on a guy who's had injury concerns. But that early is just unnecessary; there's plenty of talent with such a high pick that doesn't have long-term concerns.

What's done is done. Hopefully we don't make that mistake again.

i dont have any problem with taking risk eigther. but unless it's a cant miss prospect or the draft is weak. unnecesary risks can set u back a couple of years. specially 1st day picks are extra expensive and 1st round picks are priceless

BTW Clemens had a broken leg that required surgery and insertion of a screw.

He missed most of his senior season, and is subject to osteoarthritis, and bone weakening in the future.

First day pick?

Sperm, 20/20 hindsight, you're full of it on this unless you can show me a post of yours from before this season where you ever questioned taking Vilma because of a knee condition. And if you have such a post, you should prepare your resume and send it to NFL teams. :-P

BTW Clemens had a broken leg that required surgery and insertion of a screw.

He missed most of his senior season, and is subject to osteoarthritis, and bone weakening in the future.

First day pick?

Sperm, 20/20 hindsight, you're full of it on this unless you can show me a post of yours from before this season where you ever questioned taking Vilma because of a knee condition. And if you have such a post, you should prepare your resume and send it to NFL teams. :-P

and if that broken leg gives clemens problems in the next couple of years thus hindering his level of play he would be considered a risky pick? or would he be a bust? considering nobody is calling vilma a bust. he is still a superstar in the right scheme

and if that broken leg gives clemens problems in the next couple of years thus hindering his level of play he would be considered a risky pick? or would he be a bust? considering nobody is calling vilma a bust. he is still a superstar in the right scheme

That was my original point. For anyone to sit here today and say Vilma was a risky pick because of his known condition is disingenuous. it is as dumb as saying that if Clemens reinjures his leg he was a bad pick.

That's why it was silly to say that Bradway was at fault for selecting Vilma, and that "we wouldnt have these problems anymore" with mangina.

That was my original point. For anyone to sit here today and say Vilma was a risky pick because of his known condition is disingenuous. it is as dumb as saying that if Clemens reinjures his leg he was a bad pick.

That's why it was silly to say that Bradway was at fault for selecting Vilma, and that "we wouldnt have these problems anymore" with mangina.

well every pick has a certain risk to it. there are no sure things. but in the first round that high u need to be extra carefull

I could speculate too.

A vey irresponsible article. And the doctor shoudn't comment either. Conjecture can damage. Nobody in the NFL will believe it though. They will just look him over with their own docs. If it is true, we are screwed. If it ain't, hello high draft pick.

all I know is my prayers were answered on the draft days we selected DRob and Jon Vilma-they were the 2 guys I wanted-I wouldn't call either one a bust as chadharm said in the right (4/3) system

all I know is my prayers were answered on the draft days we selected DRob and Jon Vilma-they were the 2 guys I wanted-I wouldn't call either one a bust as chadharm said in the right (4/3) system

in the right system they can thrive.

oh yea add D'Brickashaw Ferguson to the pre-draft wishlist of players we got in round one

even in his first year i pointed out that the crop of DE that Dbrick went against was way more elite than what mcneil went against

Adrian Peterson and Marcus McNeill.

#1 It has yet to be determined, after half a season of mostly splitting carries, whether or not Peterson will have a "healthy" career.

#2 McNeill was a late 2nd-rounder, not an early first-rounder. No one was going to take him in the top half of round one with a narrow spinal column. And again, he's young enough that you simply don't know how or if it will affect his career at this point.

When it's later in the draft, that's one thing; it's low risk, high reward. The top of round one is not what I'd term low risk. First of all, it's high risk; second of all, you're passing on a lower risk. So if the player gets hurt due to his pre-existing condition, you're losing TWICE. Once for the injury, and once for the healthy player you passed on.

Archived