Yankees to offer A-Rod arbitration...get two first rounders

AFJF

Great move by Cash...even if Boras accepts to make up for his screw up and get his client a raise it gives the Yankees time to get A-Rods replacement and maybe deal him and get more for him later.

Yankees will offer A-Rod arbitration, still a long shot

BY KEN DAVIDOFF | kenneth.davidoff@newsday.com

ORLANDO - There is one clear avenue for Alex Rodriguez to return to the Yankees. It would require A-Rod and his agent, Scott Boras, to concede an immense blunder. Yet precedent for such an occurrence exists in Boras' business dealings.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Newsday Tuesday that the Yankees would offer arbitration to A-Rod. If A-Rod accepted, he would be contractually bound to the Yankees for 2008, and in line for a significant raise from his 2007 salary of $27 million.

It's a long shot, so much so that Cashman doesn't consider it a serious possibility. But he said he'd be perfectly happy if it came to fruition.

Teams must offer arbitration to their own free agents by Dec. 1. By doing so, clubs ensure that they will receive compensatory draft picks if those free agents sign with other teams. Because A-Rod is a Type A free agent, the Yankees would get two amateur draft selections.

"I'm definitely offering him arbitration," Cashman said. "I want those draft picks."

Free agents must accept or decline arbitration by Dec. 7, and were A-Rod to accept, he would lock himself into the Yankees. He also would be accepting far less, guaranteed, than the three years and $91 million from which he opted out on Oct. 28.

Boras utilizes the arbitration acceptance more than other agents. In December 2002, Boras' client Greg Maddux accepted arbitration from the Braves, causing a flustered Atlanta GM John Schuerholz to trade Kevin Millwood to the Phillies to make room for Maddux on his payroll. The following year, Millwood, also a Boras client, accepted arbitration from the surprised Phillies.

They were going to do this no matter what for the draft picks. Be curious to see if Boras come December 10th accepts or declines arbitration if the offers don't roll in. The arbitrator picks either ht the team or the agent's salary figure, no compromise. Also, if A-rod were to accpet arbitration, he loses 10/5 rights, no trade clauses, etc.-it's just a 1-year contract. Also, Boras has 2 wins and 12 losses in his last few arbitration cases, since MLB practically makes the Commissioner's office open for the teams to use in combatting his arguments.

They were going to do this no matter what for the draft picks. Be curious to see if Boras come December 10th accepts or declines arbitration if the offers don't roll in. The arbitrator picks either ht the team or the agent's salary figure, no compromise. Also, if A-rod were to accpet arbitration, he loses 10/5 rights, no trade clauses, etc.-it's just a 1-year contract. Also, Boras has 2 wins and 12 losses in his last few arbitration cases, since MLB practically makes the Commissioner's office open for the teams to use in combatting his arguments.

Not a chance that Boras accepts arbitration.

he did not go into this process blindly.

Not a chance that Boras accepts arbitration.

he did not go into this process blindly.

Boras hasn't always been right. I don't think he will accept but he has overplayed his hand before. If they come back to the Yankees asking for a new contract, he overplayed his hand.

Boras doesn't get enough crap for his antics. I think it was J.D. Drew -- wanted to have him say that he wasn't a US Citizen and move to Canada. So he wouldn't have been eligible for the amateur draft.

Unreal.

Boras hasn't always been right. I don't think he will accept but he has overplayed his hand before. If they come back to the Yankees asking for a new contract, he overplayed his hand.

Boras doesn't get enough crap for his antics. I think it was J.D. Drew -- wanted to have him say that he wasn't a US Citizen and move to Canada. So he wouldn't have been eligible for the amateur draft.

Unreal.

If Boras overplays this hand, he is not as smart as I and others give him credit for.

This is the most high profile gambit and contract negotiation in the history of sport. Really, has any other situation played out with a player of this magnitude?

For Boras not to have his i's dotted and his t's crossed going into their annnouncement, he will look very, very foolish.

A man with that much at stake, and Boras realizes this, does not make rash decisions.

Whether owners colluded together (yeah, right, when have they EVER been able to do that except one ill fated time), or Boars comes up with a package that is trumped up for public consumption, some eay, some how this package will exceed what A-Rod had with the Yankees.

He is sure that he had that before the announcement.

The whole question to the contract will be length, and whether the signing club has its own buy out at some portion of the contract, and how much and how many years into the contract is it?

Yea

WE lose possibly the greatest in season player of all time, to get 2 draft picks

How can one contain his joy?

C'mon, Jon - it's more young players for a manager well-known for ruining young players. What's not to be happy about?

Of course, Girardi will be long gone by the time they hit the majors.

C'mon, Jon - it's more young players for a manager well-known for ruining young players. What's not to be happy about?

Of course, Girardi will be long gone by the time they hit the majors.

He is well known for winning manager of the year awards more so than ruining people.

He is well known for winning manager of the year awards more so than ruining people.

Here, here! I think this was the Yankees best choice...hey, if not, the swinging door of managers begins like it did a couple of decades ago. But, personally, I think Girardi will be good for this team. How good? Good question.

Here, here! I think this was the Yankees best choice...hey, if not, the swinging door of managers begins like it did a couple of decades ago. But, personally, I think Girardi will be good for this team. How good? Good question.

Bill we agree. Donnie is who I would have picked because he is my favorite. But he wasn't the best choice. Joe was the best choice.

It will be tough. But I think he is going to be good with the young kids. He will need help. The pitching coach is important. But Joe will have them running and playing hard.

Plus when they win it all we can bump all of #90's CLUELESS JOE posts and people will think he is talking about Girardi.

Archived