Yankees' young pitchers not available, even for Cabrera

NIGHT STALKER

Updated: November 7, 2007, 9:18 PM ET

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Hank Steinbrenner was clear on what the New York Yankees won't do to get Miguel Cabrera.

"It's pretty obvious which players we're not going to trade," the owner's son said Wednesday, before rattling off the team's most-prized young pitchers. "Chamberlain, Hughes and even Kennedy. Not for a position player."

As the Florida Marlins try to gauge what teams would give them for their All-Star third baseman, the Yankees are showing qualified interest. Yes, they'd love Cabrera to replace Alex Rodriguez, but they're prepared to wait for the asking price to go down. For now, when other teams inquire, Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy aren't available.

"I've been tested on those guys this week and obviously the summer during the [trade] deadline, and I'll continue to be tested on it," general manager Brian Cashman said. "I know that all three of those guys, the 29 other clubs would have no problems pitching at least one of them if not all of them in their rotations."

Hughes, just 21, showed poise and overpowering pitches, even while slowed by hamstring and ankle injuries that sidelined him for much of the season. Chamberlain, 22, was instant electricity and on many nights unhittable as Mariano Rivera's set-up man down the stretch. Kennedy, who turns 23 next month, was polished and resembled a young Mike Mussina in three September starts.

"It's like Cashman said: You never say untouchable, but at least least-touchable," Steinbrenner said.

In addition to Cabrera, a four-time All-Star, Chicago White Sox third baseman Joe Crede is also available on the trade market. Cashman predicted it would take time for teams to reveal their "real asking price."

"I'm not looking to overpay. If you want to overpay, that's the only way you move fast. If you do something that someone says yes to like that," Cashman said, snapping his fingers, "that probably means you did something wrong. Or somebody did."

Cashman does not think World Series MVP Mike Lowell is going to be an option.

"I personally believe the player's preference is to stay in Boston, first and foremost," he said.

On the third day of the general managers' meetings, each GM stood up and stated what their offseason goals were. Many mentioned specific players they were making available. The idea was suggested by Boston's Theo Epstein and Florida's Larry Beinfest, co-chairs of this year's meeting.

"Usually it takes a while to be able to reach all 29 other teams and hear what they're trying to do. This increased our efficiency tremendously. It saves us all a lot of time," Epstein said. "Some teams were specific. Some were more guarded."

On the Yankees front, outfielder Johnny Damon dropped by the hotel to speak with new manager Joe Girardi. Damon was slowed by injuries this year, slumped at the plate and lost the regular starting job in center field to Melky Cabrera.

"I think Joe wanted to make sure that he had a chance to articulate to Johnny how he sees him fitting for the Yankees in '08," Cashman said. "I don't expect to move Johnny."

Cashman envisions that Damon will be his leadoff hitter and starting left fielder and that Hideki Matsui will share time at designated hitter with Jason Giambi, who will occasionally play first.

"Is he the ideal first-base situation? No. Can he play there seven days a week? We haven't had him doing that, obviously, for a while," Cashman said. "So I think that you're going to see him more DH-ing for us, but we'll see."

In addition to trying to re-sign Rivera and catcher Jorge Posada, the Yankees would like to keep reliever Luis Vizcaino. While Cashman praised first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, who missed half the season because of injuries, he mentioned all the other first-base possibilities the Yankees have.

Asked whether New York's offers to Rivera and Posada were aggressive, Cashman responded with a joke that silently referenced Joe Torre's response to the team's proposal of a paycut that contained incentive bonuses.

"I wouldn't make an insulting offer. The Yankees wouldn't do that," Cashman said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

If you can get Ian Kennedy in a package with Melky and other pieces for a Jake Peavy or Dan Haren, you do it without thinking twice. My guess is the Yankees are trying their best to make Kennedy seem more valuable then he truly is, on the trade market.

Yankees should hold off on trading for Cabrera, and wait till a big time young pitcher is made available while also getting a lesser 3rd baseman instead.

If you can get Ian Kennedy in a package with Melky and other pieces for a Jake Peavy or Dan Haren, you do it without thinking twice. My guess is the Yankees are trying their best to make Kennedy seem more valuable then he truly is, on the trade market.

Yankees should hold off on trading for Cabrera, and wait till a big time young pitcher is made available while also getting a lesser 3rd baseman instead.

Push comes to shove Yanks will deal Kennedy-Melky for Cabrera. Right now they are doing the correct thing saying he's untouchable hoping the Marlins ask for lesser prospects in return.....Won't happen as Cabrera is a top 5-10 player offensively who immediately becomes the best player in pinstripes.

Push comes to shove Yanks will deal Kennedy-Melky for Cabrera. Right now they are doing the correct thing saying he's untouchable hoping the Marlins ask for lesser prospects in return.....Won't happen as Cabrera is a top 5-10 player offensively who immediately becomes the best player in pinstripes.

Him and Jeter would make the worst defensive left side of the infield in all of baseball - really.

If they do trade for him they should move him to 1st base, unless he vows to drop 40lbs (not happening).

Yankees should go after good young pitching first, not a big bat.

Him and Jeter would make the worst defensive left side of the infield in all of baseball - really.

If they do trade for him they should move him to 1st base, unless he vows to drop 40lbs (not happening).

Yankees should go after good young pitching first, not a big bat.

Yanks have MORE than enough good young pitching already....as for Cabrera, you could use a 1st Baseman as well so still makes sense.

Yanks have MORE than enough good young pitching already....as for Cabrera, you could use a 1st Baseman as well so still makes sense.

True. But you can never have enough good young power pitching.

I'd rather have Peavy/Haren-Pettite-Wang-Hughes-Joba as the rotation w/Betemit at 3rd base than Pettite-Wang-Hughes-Joba-Kennedy w/Cabrera at 3rd base. That just hypothetical I mean.

And its all hypothetical though. But I think getting Peavy/Haren (if truly available) + Scott Rolen is feasible if you give up: (Melky, Kennedy, Tabata, Ohlendorf, Damon, Mussina, Betemit) in total between the 2 deals. As for Mussina and Damon, I could see trading them for bullpen arms/prospects and using a few of those acquired players in the trade(s) I am talking about.

I am a dreamer. :)

I wouldn't do that trade.

True. But you can never have enough good young power pitching.

I'd rather have Peavy/Haren-Pettite-Wang-Hughes-Joba as the rotation w/Betemit at 3rd base than Pettite-Wang-Hughes-Joba-Kennedy w/Cabrera at 3rd base. That just hypothetical I mean.

And its all hypothetical though. But I think getting Peavy/Haren (if truly available) + Scott Rolen is feasible if you give up: (Melky, Kennedy, Tabata, Ohlendorf, Damon, Mussina, Betemit) in total between the 2 deals. As for Mussina and Damon, I could see trading them for bullpen arms/prospects and using a few of those acquired players in the trade(s) I am talking about.

I am a dreamer. :)

Why wouldn't you just trade Kennedy-Melky and Ohlendorf for Willis and Cabrera?

Also:

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the Yankees and Padres briefly discussed a trade that would have sent Jake Peavy to New York for Phil Hughes and Melky Cabrera.

It's not going to happen, though that would have been worth doing from the Yankees' perspective. Peavy, who is two years away from free agency, might become available next winter. The Padres will want to keep him for 2008.

Source: ESPN Insider

Why wouldn't you just trade Kennedy-Melky and Ohlendorf for Willis and Cabrera?

Also:

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the Yankees and Padres briefly discussed a trade that would have sent Jake Peavy to New York for Phil Hughes and Melky Cabrera.

It's not going to happen, though that would have been worth doing from the Yankees' perspective. Peavy, who is two years away from free agency, might become available next winter. The Padres will want to keep him for 2008.

Source: ESPN Insider

Willis is the most overrated pitcher in baseball. He had an era over 5 in the NL.

I heard the Mets are looking at Haren fwiw.

Holding on to your talented young players is the way to go. It's how the A's kept making the playoffs a couple of years ago. The difference is, the Yankees have the money to re-sign them and to also sign FA's to complete the roster. By sticking to this philosophy, the Yankees will have a strong team year after year.

Archived