Sperm Edwards -- Cap Question

SoFlaJets

I'm answering for Sperm because I'm bored at work and the system is down. No, the cap money doesn't "slide" to the next year. However, by restructuring present deals players can be paid money from their '08 contracts in '07 which effectively moves the cap space to '08. From the $10M cap space I know they gave some money to Moore (that was a raise so it won't help in '08), according to 'cane they moved some money around on Kenyon Coleman. As of yesterday Sperm didn't think there was any money left and I believe he thinks some of the restructuring involved JMac. Theoretically they should have moved the money to '08. Now all they have to do is SPEND IT!

I'd like to hear Sperm chime in on this as well and I'd like to know where you guys get your contract info. Most of the sites I see are way out of date and the regular newspaper articles are notoriously inaccurate.

Some changes I noticed. One of them is that some of the $10M in cap room may have been fictional. I think DRob hit some playing-time incentives since then that perhaps bump up his salary (what other types would he have reached, really?).

According to changes on the NFLPA's website, his salary changed as follows:

2007: was $2.5M; now $5.0M (total cap # is around $9M this year)

2008: was $6.8M; now $7.6M (total cap # is around $10M)

2009: (unchanged at $4.5M; salary is the entire cap # by now I think)

(net -$2.5M for '07)

Kenyon Coleman's 2007 salary was $1.0M; now it's shown as $5.05M (net -$4M for '07)

McCareins must have agreed to a pay cut. He was:

2007: $2.9M

2008: $3.1M

now he's

2007: $2.5M

2008: $1.1M

Don't know if this was a straight pay-cut or if we gave him some add'l roster bonus money now in exchange for taking a lower salary next year. This is useful whether we keep him (cheap; now cutting/trading him doesn't save any cap room at all) or we try to trade him again (cheap & now more attractive to another team; no one wanted him at $3M per & I can't say I blame them). (net +$0.4M for '07)

Coles' #'s changed a little also:

2007: from $4M to $3M (net +$1.0M for '07)

2008: (unchanged at $5M)

2009: from $6M to $5M

don't know what else they did with him in terms of bonus $. Keep in mind, the only thing published for EVERY player are base salaries. Many terms (incentives & future roster bonuses) are often kept from the public.

Brandon Moore was given a $1M raise for 2007 only. 2008 base salary is still $1M. Other 2009+ salaries look like they're a little lower actually, but if he' still starting he'll get another "raise" - no way he'll take under $1M for starting those years & might not with $1M for next year either. (net -$1.0M for '07)

Chris Baker's salary #'s also changed:

2007: was $850K; now shows as $2.37M (net -$1.52M for '07)

2008: was $1.0M; now shows as $700K

(2009 unchanged at $1.0M)

Now keep in mind that any time we pick someone up, that counts also. So throw in another $300K for Chris Davis & $150K for David Clowney. So that ends up being around $8M of the $10M-ish that we allegedly had.

I guarantee there are other things that I'm not aware of. But from what I can tell, we're under the 2007 cap by no more than $2M at most right now.

Some changes I noticed. One of them is that some of the $10M in cap room may have been fictional. I think DRob hit some playing-time incentives since then that perhaps bump up his salary (what other types would he have reached, really?).

According to changes on the NFLPA's website, his salary changed as follows:

2007: was $2.5M; now $5.0M (total cap # is around $9M this year)

2008: was $6.8M; now $7.6M (total cap # is around $10M)

2009: (unchanged at $4.5M; salary is the entire cap # by now I think)

(net -$2.5M for '07)

Kenyon Coleman's 2007 salary was $1.0M; now it's shown as $5.05M (net -$4M for '07)

McCareins must have agreed to a pay cut. He was:

2007: $2.9M

2008: $3.1M

now he's

2007: $2.5M

2008: $1.1M

Don't know if this was a straight pay-cut or if we gave him some add'l roster bonus money now in exchange for taking a lower salary next year. This is useful whether we keep him (cheap; now cutting/trading him doesn't save any cap room at all) or we try to trade him again (cheap & now more attractive to another team; no one wanted him at $3M per & I can't say I blame them). (net +$0.4M for '07)

Coles' #'s changed a little also:

2007: from $4M to $3M (net +$1.0M for '07)

2008: (unchanged at $5M)

2009: from $6M to $5M

don't know what else they did with him in terms of bonus $. Keep in mind, the only thing published for EVERY player are base salaries. Many terms (incentives & future roster bonuses) are often kept from the public.

Brandon Moore was given a $1M raise for 2007 only. 2008 base salary is still $1M. Other 2009+ salaries look like they're a little lower actually, but if he' still starting he'll get another "raise" - no way he'll take under $1M for starting those years & might not with $1M for next year either. (net -$1.0M for '07)

Chris Baker's salary #'s also changed:

2007: was $850K; now shows as $2.37M (net -$1.52M for '07)

2008: was $1.0M; now shows as $700K

(2009 unchanged at $1.0M)

Now keep in mind that any time we pick someone up, that counts also. So throw in another $300K for Chris Davis & $150K for David Clowney. So that ends up being around $8M of the $10M-ish that we allegedly had.

I guarantee there are other things that I'm not aware of. But from what I can tell, we're under the 2007 cap by no more than $2M at most right now.

WOW! D-Rob is waaaayyyy over paid!!!

unbeleivable, only on th Jets!

great job once again Sperm... I think at some point the Jets have to do something with Rhodes in terms of a contract

I would love to lock down Rhodes, but he has taken some steps back. We have seen signs of greatness, but not nearly where he was last season. A lot of that has to do with the play calling and they way there using him (blitzing), but I wont throw the whole blame on the staff, Rhodes needs to just perform better, but yes sooner then later we need to do something with that contract, hes making barely nothing.

I agree his performance has taken a step backwards not quite sure why..not sure if he went Hollywood or the coaching is not where it should be..but I think he only has one year left but could be wrong

Yeah I think it's one more year, i'm interested to see they way he will be used now that the bye week is over. One can only hope.

I agree his performance has taken a step backwards not quite sure why..not sure if he went Hollywood

That's my fear. This acting thing is competing with his desire to play football at a very high level

How will he react as a player once he gets that big bonus money?

I agree his performance has taken a step backwards not quite sure why..not sure if he went Hollywood or the coaching is not where it should be..but I think he only has one year left but could be wrong

Rhodes has been fine this year.

Our only problem on defense is our front seven.

I dont think there's a safety in the NFL that can guard a receiver for 7 seconds per play and have to worry about the run as well and have great numbers. Thats what Kerry Rhodes has had to do and hes done pretty well at it so far.

BTW, Im not even including the plays where he has tp blitz as well...

I think his deal is up after '08. Seems like a good time to make the new deal. He's still a promising young player, but he's not coming off a career year where you'll have to pay him like he's the next Sean Taylor.

It doesn't matter if we are under the cap, Woody is a skinflint.

You've been spouting this for a while. What makes you so sure? As far as the cap space goes, all indications are that is has all been spent. That's the point of this thread. He tried for the west side deal and got hammered, I'm not sure what you expected him to do. Is it the stadium/parking situation? The fact that he hired a young coach that came cheap? IMO he's not a "skinflint" but he is a hands off owner that leaves things to his football people. That is what we want, not the next Jerry Jones or George Steinbrenner-of course he has to hire the right football people. I'm more worried about that than him spending for players.

I think his deal is up after '08. Seems like a good time to make the new deal. He's still a promising young player, but he's not coming off a career year where you'll have to pay him like he's the next Sean Taylor.

This is correct & pretty much how I feel about it. His rookie contract runs through the 2008 season. The time to give him a new contract is this off-season. He'll be a lot cheaper this off-season than if his 2006 & 2007 seasons were reversed.

great post and add another 250k-ish for marques murrell

great post and add another 250k-ish for marques murrell

I didn't think everyone was aware that every time we sign one of these guys , it carries a minimum salary. But I'm not sure that we pay the whole thing. I think if they're on the opening-day roster, then their entire yearly salary is guaranteed even if we cut him a day later. But once the season starts, they may only count 1/16 of that salary per week.

NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, generally. So if we pick up Murrell after our 9th game, he gets 1/16 of whatever salary per week from that point forward. If his salary is listed at $320K for example, he gets $20K per game. Even if he plays the rest of the season, he'd still only get 7/16 of that, or $140K. He doesn't get paid for the first 9 games he wasn't here.

All players get weekly game checks based on their salary. Only bonus money is paid in one lump sum. But salary is paid out as 1/16 of the total amount per game that they are on the team roster (not just active roster).

This is correct & pretty much how I feel about it. His rookie contract runs through the 2008 season. The time to give him a new contract is this off-season. He'll be a lot cheaper this off-season than if his 2006 & 2007 seasons were reversed.

Doesnt Drob and Ellis expire next year as well?

Archived