What do you think about Vernon Gholston?

pjam76

What do you think about DE Vernon Gholston from Ohio State?

He sure made Mr. top OL pick Long and that Michigan OL look like crap today.

I haven't watched Ohio State play much this season so I don't know if this was something this kid does every week, but from what people say, he seems like a player and he looked like a heck of a DE today.

Any thoughts on why the Jets shouldn't look at him if he decides to turn pro. He is a junior I think.

I haven't watched Ohio State play much this season so I don't know if this was something this kid does every week, but from what people say, he seems like a player and he looked like a heck of a DE today.

Any thoughts on why the Jets shouldn't look at him if he decides to turn pro. He is a junior I think.

Dunno about that, but I'm watching Texas Tech vs Oklahoma, and this Graham Harrell has a rocket arm.

One of the top hybrid pass rushers in the draft. He's pretty explosive and very powerful. I haven't seen him play much so I'm not sure if he's as good agaist the run as his massive arms would make you think but he's got very good potential. He dominated against the top OT in the draft and that's very impressive. He was also solid in coverage.

He should be pretty high up on the Jets list of 3-4 pass rushers to get.

Gholston is only a sophomore I believe but I think he can be one of the steals of the draft when he comes out. He's big enough to play DL and fast enough to play LB. He'd be a great pick imo.

This is the guy I have liked for us at OLB since I saw him play last year. Best 3-4 OLB in the draft this year, I think. Its too early to say, but right now I'd love to trade down for more picks and grab him in the 9-17 range.

I dont believe hes coming out this year... Maybe next year but we'll see.

BTW, I dont see him going in the 1st rd...NVM top 20.

He's one of those guys thats always there but isnt the one giving Ocords nightmares due to other playmakers such as Laurenits (spelling probably wrong there).

I dont believe hes coming out this year... Maybe next year but we'll see.

BTW, I dont see him going in the 1st rd...NVM top 20.

He's one of those guys thats always there but isnt the one giving Ocords nightmares due to other playmakers such as Laurenits (spelling probably wrong there).

He's a junior this season, so he could and probably will come out.

Did you see his game today? Michigan couldnt stop him, and they were using 2-3 guys to block him in the 2nd half. Guy is a beast.

I'm not saying he'll be a 12 sack guy at OLB, but a consistent 8-11 guy is very possible. If he comes out + his workout numbers which should be great, he will definitely be a 1st rd pick. No doubt about it.

He's a junior this season, so he could and probably will come out.

Did you see his game today? Michigan couldnt stop him, and they were using 2-3 guys to block him in the 2nd half. Guy is a beast.

I'm not saying he'll be a 12 sack guy at OLB, but a consistent 8-11 guy is very possible. If he comes out + his workout numbers which should be great, he will definitely be a 1st rd pick. No doubt about it.

Interesting, I thought he was a sophomore.

He had a career day today though, having watched most OSU games this season, he's always been okay, but never like this.

He probably averaged 1 sack per game and 3 or so tackles coming off the right side of the line, which is not as good as the left side of the OL (the quality of players he'd face in the NFL).

I say hes an early-mid second rounder if he comes out this year.

Interesting, I thought he was a sophomore.

He had a career day today though, having watched most OSU games this season, he's always been okay, but never like this.

He probably averaged 1 sack per game and 3 or so tackles coming off the right side of the line, which is not as good as the left side of the OL (the quality of players he'd face in the NFL).

I say hes an early-mid second rounder if he comes out this year.

Like I said, I don't watch OSU games, so I don't know if this was a career day or not.. But I do watch a lot of Michigan games and if Long is a top 5 pick, it's not a good sign the way he was manhandled today against a guy you say might be a 2nd round pick.

When I think top 5, I don't think of guys getting manhandled by inferior talent.... To me this kid on OSU looked great, but if you say this was just a career day and normally he's good not great, it makes Long look a lot less impressive in my book. And watching Michigan all year long, I'm not that impressed with Long....No doubt he is talented, but I see him as another DBrick, not an Orlando Pace.

The Big Ten is bad and Michigan is a team that always seems to choke when they play good teams. Everybody started to jump back on the bandwagon as they beat inferior teams, but as soon as they played teams with equal or greater talent, they got embarrassed. And it's been a common theme quite a few times in the past few seasons .

That's not really on Long, but I think people are making him out to be something he might not ever be. To me, Long isn't a kid a team should take with the 3rd pick in the draft.. I just don't see him being that much of a difference maker. We took DBrick with 4 and it's obvious he isn't a difference maker yet... Maybe he will one day, but if Long takes 3+ seasons to become close to great, that is a long way down the road to wait for the OL to get better. IT also means half the players on the team now will have to be replaced.. It might mean a couple of their newer players leave or don't work out as well. 5+ year plans don't work in the NFL.. And if Long takes more than a few seasons to become worth the 5th pick, what was the point?

Who knows, maybe it's a big ten thing.... I'm a Michigan fan, yet I always laugh when I hear announcers proclaim year after year that this team will be great.. Heck last year against USC, the announcers predicted great things for Michigan this year... A 1 or 2 team in the nation with all their returning talent... I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now... Maybe it's a Jets thing to me but it seems every year Michigan is supposed to have that great year and every year they always find ways to choke or blow a game. I think a lot of their players become more overhyped than they really deserve. Long should be a decent NFL player if everything works out all right. But in my opinion, he isn't a top 5 kind of player.

A few things:

Gholston like a lot of pass rushing D ends has hit and miss days. Today was a hit.

The guy is a a physical freak -- his arms are huge -- and he is quick off the line. Also, he dropped into coverage a few times yesterday against Michigan.

I too think he is a good choice for a 3-4 OLB (the B. Thomas kind), but agree that he probably wont be a first rounder because that kind of player is always something of a project and most teams dont want to take a project in the first round.

Gholston did beat Long once for a sack, but he lined up all over the place and wasnt going against Long most of the time. One of his sacks came on a rush from a DT spot.

He is ok in run support, but my impression is that if you run right at him you can beat him and that he doesnt shed run blocks particularly well.

Like I said, I don't watch OSU games, so I don't know if this was a career day or not.. But I do watch a lot of Michigan games and if Long is a top 5 pick, it's not a good sign the way he was manhandled today against a guy you say might be a 2nd round pick.

When I think top 5, I don't think of guys getting manhandled by inferior talent.... To me this kid on OSU looked great, but if you say this was just a career day and normally he's good not great, it makes Long look a lot less impressive in my book. And watching Michigan all year long, I'm not that impressed with Long....No doubt he is talented, but I see him as another DBrick, not an Orlando Pace.

The Big Ten is bad and Michigan is a team that always seems to choke when they play good teams. Everybody started to jump back on the bandwagon as they beat inferior teams, but as soon as they played teams with equal or greater talent, they got embarrassed. And it's been a common theme quite a few times in the past few seasons .

That's not really on Long, but I think people are making him out to be something he might not ever be. To me, Long isn't a kid a team should take with the 3rd pick in the draft.. I just don't see him being that much of a difference maker. We took DBrick with 4 and it's obvious he isn't a difference maker yet... Maybe he will one day, but if Long takes 3+ seasons to become close to great, that is a long way down the road to wait for the OL to get better. IT also means half the players on the team now will have to be replaced.. It might mean a couple of their newer players leave or don't work out as well. 5+ year plans don't work in the NFL.. And if Long takes more than a few seasons to become worth the 5th pick, what was the point?

Who knows, maybe it's a big ten thing.... I'm a Michigan fan, yet I always laugh when I hear announcers proclaim year after year that this team will be great.. Heck last year against USC, the announcers predicted great things for Michigan this year... A 1 or 2 team in the nation with all their returning talent... I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now... Maybe it's a Jets thing to me but it seems every year Michigan is supposed to have that great year and every year they always find ways to choke or blow a game. I think a lot of their players become more overhyped than they really deserve. Long should be a decent NFL player if everything works out all right. But in my opinion, he isn't a top 5 kind of player.

I dont catch too many Michigan games either, so this might have also been a career low for Jake Long. You cant base it all off of one game. The fact that Gholston had a career high yesterday can very well have a lot to do with the fact that Long had a career low, you just never know.

One game is WAY too small of a sample size to base around the future of a franchise... Thats why the experts and teams look at whole careers-not just single games.

I dont catch too many Michigan games either, so this might have also been a career low for Jake Long. You cant base it all off of one game. The fact that Gholston had a career high yesterday can very well have a lot to do with the fact that Long had a career low, you just never know.

One game is WAY too small of a sample size to base around the future of a franchise... Thats why the experts and teams look at whole careers-not just single games.

No, I actually do catch a lot of Michigan games, I don't catch many Ohio State games. I think Long is a good player, but I just don't see him as being worth being picked in the top 5. In all honesty, I see him as another DBrick. A good enough player, but a guy that sure wasn't worth being picked 4th.

Glenn Dorsey or DMC are target if Jets don't win another game and end up top 3.

Chris Long is a player the Jets could consider at 5-12 overall.

Vernon Gholston could be after that - a mid-late first rounder.

I love the draft as much as the next guy but who-is-better-than-who is not worth getting riled up about until the regular season ends.

Until you know where the teams are picking (and who picks in front of them) it's mental masturbation.

No, I actually do catch a lot of Michigan games, I don't catch many Ohio State games. I think Long is a good player, but I just don't see him as being worth being picked in the top 5. In all honesty, I see him as another DBrick. A good enough player, but a guy that sure wasn't worth being picked 4th.

Its also hard to judge OL just by watching (unless you pay special attn) because their job is to prevent sacks and to clear the way for RB's.

I can't find a stat for sacks allowed, but considering there injured starting RB (Hart) gained over 1000 yards with a 5.3 ypc average, and as a team UM had over 2000 yards rushing (if you dont include sack yards), then I have to assume that the OL has been doing its job.

I haven't really seen a scouting report that had anything glaringly negative about him either, but I think he'll be a good OL in the NFL.

Archived