dont worry about the D in the offseason/ draft

NYjet10

we have a talented D. cj mosley played well today,and david harris has proved that we dont need vilma. revis is starting to understand the nfl. our problem is mangini isnt using them right. today he showed that he is getting use to our style of defense. in the draft we must worry about at least 2 OL. in the offseason if we can get a good D player thats great, but we do not need to get a D man with our first pick in the draft. I think our D can be very strong next year just the way it is.

we have a talented D. cj mosley played well today,and david harris has proved that we dont need vilma. revis is starting to understand the nfl. our problem is mangini isnt using them right. today he showed that he is getting use to our style of defense. in the draft we must worry about at least 2 OL. in the offseason if we can get a good D player thats great, but we do not need to get a D man with our first pick in the draft. I think our D can be very strong next year just the way it is.

We still need a NT, taht could free up the possibilty of moving DRob to DE. We still can't have such a short term memry though guys, this is still the same D that we saw get dominated in most games this season. hopefully some of those change up's can help in the long term but I still think there are a lot of issues that need to be resolved.

We're still a long long way away from being an playoff team, today was a good sign that maybe all hope is not lost but still we have problems.

Mangini is learning on the job. Rookie players are given a break in their first or second year, then they expected to preform to their potential.

Mangini did a lot of growing up in this game. He was attacking with Baker, he stuck to Jones, and more importantly he handled the defense like an aboslute stud. He played Ellis at OLB on running downs, who did an excellent job on containment, and getting after the QB. He had Bowens playing very well, and D-rob nearly careered it today. In passing downs you really saw D-rob utilizing his quickness and getting after Roethlisberger.

It was great to see the defense showing different fronts, and holding one of the best running attacks in the NFL to utter ineffectiveness. Once Pitt got deep into our territory they did a really good job of holding them to three points, or flat out pushing them back.

I'm tired of all the Mangini bashers, people are so much more willing to give guys like Vilma, Penny, Rhodes a pass, but refuse to when it comes to the face of our franchise. Anybody that can draft as well as Mangini has, and gotten a below average team to the playoffs in his first stint, has potential.

Although, being a jet fan, potential can be a dangerous word. (was that blackout that said that? good phrase anyway)

Mangini is learning on the job. Rookie players are given a break in their first or second year, then they expected to preform to their potential.

Mangini did a lot of growing up in this game. He was attacking with Baker, he stuck to Jones, and more importantly he handled the defense like an aboslute stud. He played Ellis at OLB on running downs, who did an excellent job on containment, and getting after the QB. He had Bowens playing very well, and D-rob nearly careered it today. In passing downs you really saw D-rob utilizing his quickness and getting after Roethlisberger.

It was great to see the defense showing different fronts, and holding one of the best running attacks in the NFL to utter ineffectiveness. Once Pitt got deep into our territory they did a really good job of holding them to three points, or flat out pushing them back.

I'm tired of all the Mangini bashers, people are so much more willing to give guys like Vilma, Penny, Rhodes a pass, but refuse to when it comes to the face of our franchise. Anybody that can draft as well as Mangini has, and gotten a below average team to the playoffs in his first stint, has potential.

Although, being a jet fan, potential can be a dangerous word. (was that blackout that said that? good phrase anyway)

You can't have it both ways... Bad draft picks aren't Mangini's fault, it's the GMs.. Bad offense isn't his fault, it's Schotty Jr... Good defense is all on Mangini, nothing to do with Sutton. Good draft picks are all about Mangini, nothing to do with the GM....

You can't give credit for good things and then pass off the bad things onto other people. It doesn't work that way...

As far as great drafts, that's not true at all. They've had some good draft picks, but the OL still sucks after drafting 3 OL in two years. 2 of which were first round draft picks. The defense still sucks. Brad Smith is a part time player. Leon Washington has become a good special teams player, but why was he mostly useless today?

Cause smart coaches kick away from good returners. So it kind of makes Washington a non-factor if the Jets play a coach who is smart.

The defense needs a ton of improvement, but at least we saw some life from them today.... We didn't see any life from the Jets offense yet again.... And the longer this crap goes on you have to start to think that the offense is the major problem, not the defense...

I mean as bad as the defense has played this season, it was the offense who couldn't score against the Ravens, Bills, Giants, Eagles, Bengals, and today against the Steelers.

When you score between 3-7 points in the second half of most every game, suddenly the bad defense looks better than the useless offense. I'll give them a few more weeks, but at some point, the KC is young excuses go away.... It's not like KC is turning the ball over or making a ton of stupid mistakes. And it wasn't like the OL gave up 7 sacks or couldn't block for TJ. Something is seriously wrong with this offense and in all honesty, I'm not so sure it's "lack of talent."

You can't have it both ways... Bad draft picks aren't Mangini's fault, it's the GMs.. Bad offense isn't his fault, it's Schotty Jr... Good defense is all on Mangini, nothing to do with Sutton. Good draft picks are all about Mangini, nothing to do with the GM....

You can't give credit for good things and then pass off the bad things onto other people. It doesn't work that way...

As far as great drafts, that's not true at all. They've had some good draft picks, but the OL still sucks after drafting 3 OL in two years. 2 of which were first round draft picks. The defense still sucks. Brad Smith is a part time player. Leon Washington has become a good special teams player, but why was he mostly useless today?

Cause smart coaches kick away from good returners. So it kind of makes Washington a non-factor if the Jets play a coach who is smart.

The defense needs a ton of improvement, but at least we saw some life from them today.... We didn't see any life from the Jets offense yet again.... And the longer this crap goes on you have to start to think that the offense is the major problem, not the defense...

I mean as bad as the defense has played this season, it was the offense who couldn't score against the Ravens, Bills, Giants, Eagles, Bengals, and today against the Steelers.

When you score between 3-7 points in the second half of most every game, suddenly the bad defense looks better than the useless offense. I'll give them a few more weeks, but at some point, the KC is young excuses go away.... It's not like KC is turning the ball over or making a ton of stupid mistakes. And it wasn't like the OL gave up 7 sacks or couldn't block for TJ. Something is seriously wrong with this offense and in all honesty, I'm not so sure it's "lack of talent."

I give as much credit to Mangini as everyone else gives him blame. If we rush for 60 yards, it's Mangini's fault, if we rush for 120 yards, we praise TJ and the Line. It's a double standard on both sides. The coach doesn't deserve all the blame, and he certainly doesn't deserve all the credit.

As for our lack of talent, Coles is our only legit threat on offense. With him being out and having a first year starting QB, I'm not sure how much production one can really expect. I think we did terrible on offense in the games you mentioned, but did pretty well when we had to in yesterdays game. They are improving very quickly, and for that I'll give Mangini credit.

As the draft goes, its both coach and GM that did well. They took three huge risks last year; TJ, Revis, and Harris. Two of them seem to be paying off very well, and the TJ pick is only a moderate bust. You can't tell me it was only the GM making these decisions. It's not like Mangini was on vacation in Jamaca during the draft.

Mangini gets dumped on all too much for my liking, but hey it's just my opinion.

ok lets stay realistic here..this is one game..the whole team especially the lines need major improvement

Exactly, 4H. Let's stay realistic.

While winning yesterday was nice, and felt better than losing, one game can't mask the significant problems that exist on this team.

Exactly, 4H. Let's stay realistic.

While winning yesterday was nice, and felt better than losing, one game can't mask the significant problems that exist on this team.

There are still significant problems on defense but the upgrade of one position: ILB, from Vilma to Harris has been incredible and has impacted the entire unit. Also, Elam/Smith (to me, anyway) represent a fairly significant upgrade over Coleman.

On defense the Jets will have to continue to upgrade the LB corp. Hobson and Barton are ok but this defense requires better LB play than what we have seen so far from these two guys. I dont mention Thomas here because he is locked up and likely to be a Jet starter for the foreseeable future.

well we are out of DMC running, so BAP should be focused on D

I like that Kid from OSU

if you are talking about loriniteous (spelling...sorry) then I'd be okay with drafting him. We'd have to go after a NT in FA then. It would be nice to have two young studs at ILB.

There are still significant problems on defense but the upgrade of one position: ILB, from Vilma to Harris has been incredible and has impacted the entire unit. Also, Elam/Smith (to me, anyway) represent a fairly significant upgrade over Coleman.

Yeah, Clinton Portis thought so, too. Maybe you missed that game.

Yesterday was about guys like Ellis and Robertson finally showing up to play.

And the secondary had good coverage on the WRs, which allowed the rush to get to Ben. I'm surprised he didnt throw it away more.

And the secondary had good coverage on the WRs, which allowed the rush to get to Ben. I'm surprised he didnt throw it away more.

How's he going to throw it away when he's in the pocket?

I just hope Ellis and d-rob can keep playin well, despite not having much to play for (ya know...past that 4 mil a year contract they have to carry around...:puke:)

I saw the skins game. Maybe guys like Ellis and D-Rob can play better because, among other things, guys like Elam and Harris give offensive coordinators another guy or two to think about?

It takes a village.

dude CONSISTENCY thats our problem. We need Defensive players who are consistent. Harris, Revis, and Rhodes have proven that they can play on a consistent high level. Who else has? NOBODY. I aint blind like you to think that a great defensive performance COMING OUT OF A BYE WEEK AGAINST AN OPPONENT COMING OFF A KILLER THREE GAME WIN STREAK WHERE THEY BARELY WON THE WEEK PRIOR makes our defense starstudded. Look back at the entire season and tell me we don't need defensive players.

The offense can put up points and the defense is what really needs work.

dude CONSISTENCY thats our problem. We need Defensive players who are consistent. Harris, Revis, and Rhodes have proven that they can play on a consistent high level. Who else has? NOBODY. I aint blind like you to think that a great defensive performance COMING OUT OF A BYE WEEK AGAINST AN OPPONENT COMING OFF A KILLER THREE GAME WIN STREAK WHERE THEY BARELY WON THE WEEK PRIOR makes our defense starstudded. Look back at the entire season and tell me we don't need defensive players.

The offense can put up points and the defense is what really needs work.

:confused:

19 points in 5 quarters is putting up points?

If we keep moving our defenders around, getting D-rob and Poah on the field together in run situations, our D doesn't need as much work as we thought. We, along with every other team, do need more play makers, but we can play well with who we have.

Our offense desperatly needs a new LG. BTW...Clement had a pretty damn good game.

:confused:

19 points in 5 quarters is putting up points?

If we keep moving our defenders around, getting D-rob and Poah on the field together in run situations, our D doesn't need as much work as we thought. We, along with every other team, do need more play makers, but we can play well with who we have.

Our offense desperatly needs a new LG. BTW...Clement had a pretty damn good game.

if you were tuned into Gamethread you would have thought KC Sh!t the bed.

JonE,Shaun and a few others ought to be ashamed

I thought he played great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a warning, all new posters are on probation until they hit 500 posts, and posting craziness out of their butt is a violation of said probation, so post accordingly going forward. That is all.

Talk about getting carried away with 1 win. The front 7 played like all-pros yesterday but wait at least until Thursday night before saying they're going to continue to play that way.

D-Rob, who has looked like garbage most of his career, played like an all pro yesterday sh*tting on Alan Faneca for 2+ sacks. I want to see a performance like that again before we decide to pass on Dorsey or Okam in the draft.

Talk about getting carried away with 1 win. The front 7 played like all-pros yesterday but wait at least until Thursday night before saying they're going to continue to play that way.

D-Rob, who has looked like garbage most of his career, played like an all pro yesterday sh*tting on Alan Faneca for 2+ sacks. I want to see a performance like that again before we decide to pass on Dorsey or Okam in the draft.

Yep. I think we're going to have to take one of them anyway. Particularly Okam if he's there in early round two. Not the prototypical 3-4 NT, but he's close enough. Certainly more apt for the position than any NT we've had since (3-4 or 4-3 type) since Fergie left after the '04 season. Plus it's entirely possible that Mangini starts to actually mix it up a bit like we hoped he would.

Archived